I've shot 155s and 175s out of my Palma rifle for long range. What kind of rifle you loading for?

B

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I did do some loading for Long Range M-14s many years ago.

Last edited:
The farthest I have gone with my reloads is 300. I don't have a range available to me that can go out farther, and that 300 was in a field. At 300, my 168's are nice.

I have a 155 Palma load but I'm looking 168, 175, 180. I have 168's and 180's right now. I understand that 168's are not the best at 1,000.

It'll be out of a custom match bolt gun. It's scoped and I was thinking the any rifle / any sight class was not limited to the 155 Palma.

I have a 155 Palma load but I'm looking 168, 175, 180. I have 168's and 180's right now. I understand that 168's are not the best at 1,000.

It'll be out of a custom match bolt gun. It's scoped and I was thinking the any rifle / any sight class was not limited to the 155 Palma.

They will go subsonic from a service rifle, beore they reach 1000. Out of a Palma barrel that is 30 inches, they might be ok. How long is the barrel? If it is not a 30 in tube, don't shoot the 155s. They need to get launched at 2950 to keep them supersonic at 1000yds. If it is a shorter tube shoot the 175s.

Any Rifle/ Any Sight means just that. No need to stick with the .308. If you are shooting it for fun, put the scope on it, but remember you are shooting it against 6.5/284s and .300 WM.

If you shoot irons on it, you will be able to shoot in the Palma class with the 175s. You don't need to shoot 155s unless the program calls for it. Some Palma matches do, but the vast majority only require a .308

I would stick with IMR 4064 with the 175s. Make sure to trickle them to weight.

B

They will go subsonic from a service rifle, beore they reach 1000. Out of a Palma barrel that is 30 inches, they might be ok. How long is the barrel? If it is not a 30 in tube, don't shoot the 155s. They need to get launched at 2950 to keep them supersonic at 1000yds. If it is a shorter tube shoot the 175s.

Any Rifle/ Any Sight means just that. No need to stick with the .308. If you are shooting it for fun, put the scope on it, but remember you are shooting it against 6.5/284s and .300 WM.

If you shoot irons on it, you will be able to shoot in the Palma class with the 175s. You don't need to shoot 155s unless the program calls for it. Some Palma matches do, but the vast majority only require a .308

I would stick with IMR 4064 with the 175s. Make sure to trickle them to weight.

B

Thanks. I've had the rifle for many years, custom match bolt gun in .308 and it has a scope I'd rather not take off. (That's the reason for any rifle.) Barrel is 26". I didn't think that class called for the Palma round.

I've also heard the 168's will go subsonic but 175' and 180's won't. 2975 is what I've been told for 155's.

I use Re15 for my match .223's and was hoping to stick with the same for .308. I understand a lot of folks are getting away from Varget and going Re15 to eke out a little more fps.

Any thoughts?

Thanks. I've had the rifle for many years, custom match bolt gun in .308 and it has a scope I'd rather not take off. (That's the reason for any rifle.) Barrel is 26". I didn't think that class called for the Palma round.

I've also heard the 168's will go subsonic but 175' and 180's won't. 2975 is what I've been told for 155's.

I use Re15 for my match .223's and was hoping to stick with the same for .308. I understand a lot of folks are getting away from Varget and going Re15 to eke out a little more fps.

Any thoughts?

With the 155s, you most likely won't be able to get enough velocity out of a 26 inch tube for them. It may well be 2975fps. I shoot mine at about 3000 fps and have had no problems.

The 175s have a better BC and will probably do a little better, but the 180s should be ok. The 190s were the standard 600yd and 1000yd bullet when the 308 was king of the hill and would be the best choice in terms of wind drift.

The older style 180s that had a boat tail like the 190s were very good, but Sierra decided to improve them, and changed the shape to one more like a 168. They didn't shoot as well at 1000yds out of M-14s after they did that. I think with a 26 inch tube you should be ok with the 180s at 1000 though. Just make sure they are moving.

R15 should be fine.

If it is a tac rig, I think they have a .308 catagory in F class. That way you are competiting against like equipment.
B

With the 155s, you most likely won't be able to get enough velocity out of a 26 inch tube for them. It may well be 2975fps. I shoot mine at about 3000 fps and have had no problems.

The 175s have a better BC and will probably do a little better, but the 180s should be ok. The 190s were the standard 600yd and 1000yd bullet when the 308 was king of the hill and would be the best choice in terms of wind drift.

The older style 180s that had a boat tail like the 190s were very good, but Sierra decided to improve them, and changed the shape to one more like a 168. They didn't shoot as well at 1000yds out of M-14s after they did that. I think with a 26 inch tube you should be ok with the 180s at 1000 though. Just make sure they are moving.

R15 should be fine.

If it is a tac rig, I think they have a .308 catagory in F class. That way you are competiting against like equipment.
B

The 180's I have are of the older style, (I'm still pulling the rounds from old loads) that were loaded for the AMU reserve team several years ago. Tha cases have corroded and became unsafe but the bullets are fine.

I'm not wanting to shoot F class. This rifle was originally built for either Palma or a bench rest, not sure but it should do well in any class.

I guess I'll work up the 180's and probaly go to 175's when they're gone.

I have around 350 pieces of once-fired Fed. brass from the GMM. Previously, I had heard federal has a thin web and not good for reloading. Recently, I've heard there is no problem with Fed. 308 brass. Any thoughts on that and what velocity should I aim for with 180's?

I'm not at home now, so I don't have access to my stuff. I might be in a couple of days though.

For the old style 180s I would just follow the loading recommendations in the Sierra book for 175s. I'm not sure what the diff. in bearing surface is between the two. My guess is that they are very close. A good 175 load would probably be spot on with those 180s.

Make sure to use some type of BR primer. I have had good luck with Feds and CCI BRs.

I have a bunch of once fired Fed brass that I use from time to time. I even used it in the Palma at Perry. It shot great, It is pretty soft and will not stand up well to stiff loads more than a time or two. The web and head of the case is not as beefy as others. I even think I posted somthing on the site about it with a picture.

You can can load it, but when you reload it, see if the primers go in really easy. If they do, dont shoot godzilla loads out of them, as you may get a face full of gas. I wouldn't reload it more than once or twice for longrange. If you are going to buy new brass, I'd get winchester or somthing like that. I have some LC that I got from Special Ball that is pretty good. I wouldn't splurge on Lapua unless you are in the hunt for somthing well into the HM class. Even then it is kind of debatable. Like I said, I used once fired fed in the Palma at Perry and made the Palma 20 twice with it.

B

Thanks B. I use CCI 450 magnum for my .223's and am planning on using the large rifle equivilant for the .308.

That's a lot of time spent uniforming primer pockets and deburring flash holes for only two loads! I'm just glad my new Giraud trimmer cut out a ton of time for case prep.

Back
Top Bottom