.32 Caliber Wadcutter Crimping Die?

I just got a .32 caliber target pistol and want to reload target grade ammunition.

I bought a Lee three die set of reloading dies.

My question is: I am reloading 95 grain wad cutter bullets, is the Lee three die set sufficient to crimp the bullet?

The Lee catalogue shows a factory crimp die with a roll crimp, which in my thinking is not correct for a wad cutter bullet. If I need a factory crimp die for wad cutter bullets, which one should I buy?

TIA

Heavythumb

Can't help with your question sorry.
But sure would like to know what you got ?......with a picture of course.
I won't be too jealous

Redding Profile Crimp Die for .32 S&W Long is the best roll crimp die.
Issues to note: each gun can be VERY picky about which wadcutter bullet it likes. Mine only like HBWCs, but they differ in brand and weight. Seating is critical. Be sure to use enough flare and be sure to expand the case (don't try to just flare the case mouth). The swaged lead bullets can easily be swaged smaller, so you want to use enough flare that you can seat about ¼ of the bullet in the case and be sure it is as straight as possible before seating. Get a flat seating stem, if you don't have one.
Full wadcutter bullets are very long for the caliber and will easily tilt and seat crooked if you are not careful.
Finally, it is really hard to get the same accuracy from reloads as the factory rounds. It can be done, but it isn't easy.

Simple, light roll crimp, using standard RCBS die, into upper groove of bullet.

Slug is Speer 98 grain swaged HBWC. Load is 2.1 grains Bullseye. Starline brass.

Strictly a plinking round, but it will put six rounds in one large hole, from a 3" bbl revolver at 25 yards, if I put my elbows on the bench.

Attachments

• IMG_20141229_212337.jpg
    IMG_20141229_212337.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 24
Assuming you are using the Berger 83gr HBWC or the Speer 98gr HBWC, Hodgdon data lists a COL of .920" (flush seating). Generally a roll crimp of the case mouth is appropriate. My Lee die seems to roll crimp just fine, but do it in a separate step after seating your bullets (simply back-off/remove the top punch and adjust the die accordingly...or remove the shim, if you have this arrangement in use).
Although I reload this caliber, I don't shoot anything in .32 S&W Long, so I can't assist you much with your pistol. Can your pistol chamber any thing other than flush-seated wadcutters?
I do have ample HBWCs, LSWCs and other bullets for .32 caliber and dies, so if you are down Foxwoods way, you'd be welcome to stop by, reload and fire on site (1 to 100 meters).

Okay. Saeco 323, I presume. Looks like the basic "crimp in crimp groove" affair. Experiment...you'll probably find a roll crimp isn't mandatory and a taper crimp to restore the flare is adequate.
G.L.

Last edited:
Everyone:
Thanks for your inputs. I sincerely appreciate all the information.

I have a Saeco mold for a full wad cutter bullet, which weigh on average 95.3 grains with the alloy I am currently using.

What I plan to do is reload on a turret press till I get the loads right for the gun then switch to a progressive press. If I need to, for accuracy, I can reload on a single stage press for my competition ammunition. Right now I am in the experimental stage, trying to find what the gun likes.

So, based on the forum's inputs, I think I do not need a factory crimp die. But if I do get one I should get a Redding or an RCBS.

Again, thanks for all the inputs.

Heavythumb

Picture still to follow. I've got to get my camera out and charge the batteries.

I've managed to reload the .32 for close to 30 years. It took a lot of trial and error. I can share this. I use a roll crimp , any other crimp can just cause feeding issues with a very shared edge on the brass and most .32 target semi autos have very little feed ramp. I agree with a previous poster, you nerd to get the bullet started straight or you are going to get some fat belled cases which will not chamber. I've run the 83 grain bullets from Lapua and the 98 gr. from H&N. For practice the Speer is OK or the Lasercast , both in 98 gr. powder selection for them.32 is important since such a small charge can vary a bit per flake. Some recommend a ball type powder. Good luck.

NavelOfficer:
Thanks for adding reputation to this user. May you be lucky enough to receive the same Reputation back in turn.

Heavythumb:
If you're not a green member, I don't know if you can u/l pics directly. Stick them in a photoshare site, like photobucket, and post the image link here.

Back
Top Bottom