5.45x39 cleaning brushes, etc. ?

SKS Ray

NES Member
I'm surprised that with the popularity of 5.45x39 lately that no one has marketed cleaning kits or even brushes for that matter. [hmmm] Unless they are available and I just can't find them searching popular sites I buy from. I figured with all the surplus corrosive ammo out there and 5.45 being popular amongst AK and even AR shooters now.

Lots of rifles out there in this round, even new production ammo by Hornady, but yet I can't find brushes, jags, even a basic cheapie Kleen-Bore kit for it.

I'm guessing .20 caliber brushes and patches are probably the best choice available right now.

I'm pretty sure any brush, patch or boresnake made for .223 is GTG for 5.45x39. Case in point: I have cleaning implements marked "for 9mm, .38 and .380" and "for .44 and .45". It doesn't have to be made specifically for this caliber, it just has to be close enough. If .223 is too tight, switch to .22.

what's wrong with the standard SKS cleaning kit in the buttstock? I saw lots of them pretty cheap too from surplus dealers.

I just soak mine in the bathtub, dry it out, run a Hoppes soaked bore snake (for 5.56x45) through it several times, hit it with CLP and then finish it with a coating of barricade.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom