5 shot at church in illinois

(CNN) -- Five people, including a church pastor, were shot inside the First Baptist Church of Maryville, Illinois, a police dispatcher told CNN on Sunday.

The shooting occurred during a church service, the dispatcher said. The suspect was stabbed by parishioners who wrestled him to the ground.

The most seriously injured people were flown by helicopter to St. Louis University Hospital, and the motive for the shooting is not currently known, police said.

Maryville is about 10 miles east of St. Louis, Missouri.

hopefully all the people who were shot survive. maybe if someone there was carrying they could have put the shooter down before he even shot one person much less five.

Another tragedy involving a firearm...

not to belittle the situation, but have you noticed, in this run up to greater gun control, that there is a "shooting" in the mainstream news just about every other day....?

Another tragedy involving a firearm...

not to belittle the situation, but have you noticed, in this run up to greater gun control, that there is a "shooting" in the mainstream news just about every other day....?

yes I have.

The parishioner did pretty well considering that he brought a knife to a gunfight. Of course, in Illinois, that's generally the only option.

We need gun free churches

poor bastard.....

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29582081

MARYVILLE, Illinois - A gunman walked down the aisle of a church during a Sunday service and killed the pastor, then stabbed himself and slashed two other people as parishioners wrestled him to the ground, authorities said.

The man walked into the sprawling brick First Baptist Church in Maryville shortly after 8 a.m. and briefly spoke with The Rev. Fred Winters before pulling out a .45-caliber handgun and shooting Winters once in the chest, said Illinois State Police Master Trooper Ralph Timmins.

The gun jammed before the man could fire again, Timmins said. The attacker then pulled out a knife and injured himself before churchgoers subdued him. Two parishioners involved in the struggle also suffered knife wounds, Timmins said. ..................................

Well, I found out what the confetti was all about in the other articles:

Mar 8th, 2009 | MARYVILLE, Ill. -- Illinois State Police say the pastor gunned down at a church in a St. Louis suburb used a Bible to deflect the first of four rounds fired during his Sunday sermon.

State Police Director Larry Trent says the Bible exploded, producing what appeared to be confetti.

Trent says about 150 people in attendance initially believed the episode was a skit being performed as part of the service at First Baptist Church in Maryville.

Trent says only one of the four rounds fired from the .45 caliber handgun struck and killed 45-year-old pastor Fred Winters.

Two congregants and the gunman suffered stab wounds while the gunman was wrestled to the floor after his gun jammed.

Trent says no one at the church recognized the gunman.

I doubt it truly deflected the round so much as just missed and happened to hit the bible, but you can imagine the storyline on this one had he lived.

Damn - Gunman Kills Pastor in Illinois Church

Just when the gun law changes seem to getting traction in this state, here comes another potential setback.

By JIM SUHR, AP
posted: 3 HOURS 29 MINUTES AGOcomments: 1129filed under: Crime News, National NewsPrintShareText SizeAAAMARYVILLE, Ill.

(March 8) -- A gunman walked down the aisle of a church during a Sunday service and killed the pastor, then stabbed himself and slashed two other people as congregants wrestled him to the ground, authorities said.
The man walked into the sprawling red brick First Baptist Church shortly after 8 a.m. and briefly spoke with The Rev. Fred Winters before pulling out a .45-caliber handgun and shooting Winters once in the chest, said Illinois State Police Master Trooper Ralph Timmins.

Churchgoers comfort one another Sunday morning outside First Baptist Church in Maryville, Ill. During the service, a gunman opened fire, killing the pastor. Police said the man pulled out a knife and stabbed himself when the gun jammed. Two people who tackled the suspect were also slashed.(Note: Please disable your pop-up blocker)

The gun jammed before the man could fire again, Timmins said. The attacker then pulled out a knife and injured himself before churchgoers subdued him. Two parishioners involved in the struggle also suffered knife wounds, Timmins said.

Witness Claudia Bohley told CNN affiliate KSDK she was in the church's foyer waiting for the service to begin when she heard "pop, pop, pop. ... We just couldn't imagine what had happened."

According to an account by CNN, Bohley said she ran into the sanctuary and saw what looked like paper scattered on the pulpit. She said she was later told that the bullet hit Winters' Bible. "It was like confetti. It went everywhere," she said. "People were down on their knees and on the floor, screaming and praying."

Timmins said officials don't know whether Winters, a married father of two who had led the church for nearly 22 years, and the gunman knew each other. Officials did not know the suspect's name.
"We don't know the relationship (between the gunman and pastor), why he's here or what the circumstances came about that caused him in the first place to be here," Timmins said.

The Rev. Mark Jones, another pastor at First Baptist, said he did not recognize the gunman, who he saw briefly before the man pulled out his weapon. Jones went into an adjacent room and did not see the shooting, though he heard a sound like miniature fire crackers.

People shoot each other every day in the US. It is only when the story "fits the narrative" of "guns are dangerous and should be banned", does the media sit up and take notice of a gun crime. The media, with their selective reportage can "prove" anything. Hell, the even made 52% of Americans believe that Obama was a moderate, despite, his actions, his writings, his legislative record (both state and federal), his associations, he OWN FRIGGING WORDS. Who you gonna believe, the media or your own lyin' eyes.

People shoot each other every day in the US. It is only when the story "fits the narrative" of "guns are dangerous and should be banned", does the media sit up and take notice of a gun crime. The media, with their selective reportage can "prove" anything. Hell, the even made 52% of Americans believe that Obama was a moderate, despite, his actions, his writings, his legislative record (both state and federal), his associations, he OWN FRIGGING WORDS. Who you gonna believe, the media or your own lyin' eyes.

What's even worse is the media will play up the victim as innocent and then when it is found out they aren't, they are already off to the next story.

Wait... how could this have happened.. are they sure it was a church... because I thought Churches were "gun free zones". this guy wasn't even supposed to be allowed to have a gun in a church. i can't believe this.

(Sarcasm rules!)

Too bad for the pastor & the other victims there.

I feel better knowing that a few other people in the church I go to carry too. Safety first. [wink]

Very well said.

Too bad for the pastor & the other victims there.

I feel better knowing that a few other people in the church I go to carry too. Safety first. [wink]

Agreed. If this were my church I would have sent him to get a closer look at God.

While we're bashing the media (rightfully so). The media as we all know is so quick to blare the sensationalism of the "terrible-gun-related-massacre-that happened-at(fill in the location here)". But never is there mention of whether the suspect was legally permitted to have that gun there.

Not that I am in favor of MORE regulations, but wouldn't it be nice if any time the media reported a gun related crime, they were required to report whether the suspect in possession of the handgun at the crime was a legally permitted to have that gun in their possession?

In this tragic case the suspect was reported to have mental illness. Most of our states have this as a disqualifier for legally possessing a handgun. Better enforcement of the laws we *have* may have prevented this.

Certainly, *more* laws are not the answer until the ones we have are adequately enforced. The bad guys don't care about laws. They will always have guns regardless of the rules.

When will people realize that the gun intrinsically, can't kill or injure anyone. It must have intervention of some type. Human, animal, or very rarely accidental (fall or drop/accidental discharge). They just don't get it !!!!!

P....

Back
Top Bottom