50 BMG Is For Sissies....

I've been kicking around getting back into varmint hunting again... [grin]

You wouldn't have to worry about accuracy. Energy from the round passing within a foot of a varmint is likely to rip it in half.[laugh]

I just can't believe there is a scope capable of handling that thing.

How long before the Bradies start complaining about these things being used in road rage incidents and to shoot down the international space station?

How long before the Bradies start complaining about these things being used in road rage incidents and to shoot down the international space station?

Considering the range is almost 3 miles.... i'm sure they will say there is no sporting/hunting purpose for this.

I've been kicking around getting back into varmint hunting again... [grin]
Do you consider Hummers varmints?
Considering the range is almost 3 miles.... i'm sure they will say there is no sporting/hunting purpose for this.
Sure there is... gophers can be damn dangerous when aroused! Just ask Bill Murray!

id doubt it would cause more then minor to moderate damage from the round passing close by. even at 20mm.

Honestly I have no idea what a round like that is capable of.
I was just joking about it much like we do with Jim's nuclear S&W 500 loads which could probably meet a 20mm round head on, destroying it instantly and sending enough energy to stop the earth's rotation for a few seconds.[grin]

Honestly I have no idea what a round like that is capable of.
I was just joking about it much like we do with Jim's nuclear S&W 500 loads which could probably meet a 20mm round head on, destroying it instantly and sending enough energy to stop the earth's rotation for a few seconds.[grin]

well ive never seen a 20mm go off close in person either, but a lot of people are under assumptions that things like .50 BMG and up will tear peoples arms and legs off just by passing close by, its just not true.
i have heard tankers say they used the main cannon on the abrams to try and kill people by firing rounds in their general direction trying to make this effect.

If you remember the Lahti, this all makes sense. (Except for the varmint thing [wink]) It was a magazine fed Finnish anti-tank rifle. I've seen a few and they were real beasts. Always wanted one too except for that >.50 problem. Some were rebarreled to take a standard 20mm round necked down to .50 caliber.

There was a thread a week or so ago with pictures of a SUV that took a couple of 20 MM from an F-16 that was shooting outside of the range.

B

Just gotta start thinking like the Bradys to understand why this gun should be banned. Could you imagine a terrorist concealin this in his cary on bag, so he could hijack a plane? What about a gangbanger using it to rob the 7-11?

Of course we all know what the real danger with this gun is...People drowning in all the drool left by NES members who saw this gun!

well ive never seen a 20mm go off close in person either, but a lot of people are under assumptions that things like .50 BMG and up will tear peoples arms and legs off just by passing close by, its just not true.
i have heard tankers say they used the main cannon on the abrams to try and kill people by firing rounds in their general direction trying to make this effect.
There are at least 3 gentlemen that have .50BMG rifles at my club. 2 I know by sight if not name Both are bolt action ss. I can say without a doubt the safest place to be when the beasts go off is directly behind the shooter.
The muzzle blast is unbelievable.

Just gotta start thinking like the Bradys to understand why this gun should be banned. Could you imagine a terrorist concealin this in his cary on bag, so he could hijack a plane? What about a gangbanger using it to rob the 7-11?

Of course we all know what the real danger with this gun is...People drowning in all the drool left by NES members who saw this gun!
How about those drive byes even though this gun won't be able to fit into any car and still be fired.

Back
Top Bottom