• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

54R or 8MM Mauser

NES Member
Whats generally more effective and accurate? Which would you rather have been shooting in WWII?

The 7.62 x 54R fired from a Mosin Nagant M44 using 148g lead core bullet
The 8mm fired from a Czech Mauser (98/22) 198g lead core bullet

I've got one of the 8mm Yugo Mausers 4 Seasons sells for short money. It shoots fine with S&B ammo of recent manufacture.....a little stiff as far as recoil is concerned. When I bought the rifle initially, I picked up 140 rounds of the 1940ish Turkish 8mm he had at the store. You know the stuff........2 bushels for 29 cents. Shooting that stuff was quite an adventure.

I've heard tell the 8mm can be loaded to be very accurate and not wail the living tar outta ya in the process, but all I've ever used is factory ammo.
Not really too well versed with the rimmed cartridges.
In terms of being effective.......I don't think I'd wanna get tagged with either one of those rifle/cartridge combinations.

I have a M38 Nagant and a K98 Mauser- The Mauser with factory and reloads is one of my most accurate rifles. The Nagant is fun, pretty good with reloads if you load them reasonably tame considering the shorter barrel, if I had a choice I'd go with the Mauser.

Czech 98/22 with Romanian 8mm or custom loads once the barrel has been slugged! Still, even with surplus ammo its much more accurate than any Russian M44.

M44 isn't built for accuracy. The Mauser is a better rifle overall, although I think the M44s are the most naturally pointing milsurps out there.

I'd rather be shooting a Finn M39 with the 7.62x54, myself.

Not that there's anything wrong with the K98/8mm, just personal preference.

rather be shooting the mauser because fully loaded is close to the ballistics of the 30-06 it also helps that the mauser action is the toughest and simpelist in the world.

Back
Top Bottom