• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

629 v-comp lockup issue

greetings NES brain trust.
Quick question regarding the lockup on a smith 629 revolver. It seems as through the little lockup tab under the cylinder is not easily seating into the cylinder slot for it. As of now. I'm going to send it back to smith to get fixed. I've a bunch of wheelgats and this is the first time I've seen this. Anyone else have this issue?
Many thanks
dr b

as you know, S&W changed up the cylinder lockup from using the ejector rod to the crane. there should be a silver spring-loaded ball detent that seats into a notch on the frame. as long as it fits tightly in there it should be fine. i would rather have one that takes extra pressure to open the cylinder than one where the cylinder drops right out easily.

what exactly is the issue you're having with it?

The cylinder doesn't fully go into lockup, and the cylinder release is stuck in a forward position. Edit.. You can wiggle the cylinder by hand and have it "click" into lockup.

if the cylinder release stays in forward position with the cylinder closed, then something is wrong. i would send it back to S&W. literally every S&W revolver I've owned has to go back to them to be fixed. their QC staff deserve a shit-sandwich.

the 629 v-comp is a sick revolver though, so you've got good taste for sure!

Hmm. Mine is pretty tight and I've not had a problem. It does take some slightly additional effort to open the cylinder but as Squib notes above, I'd rather have it be tighter than looser. The cylinder locks in immediately when I close it. I did have to send it back to S&W because the barrel was canted, which was annoying on a PC revolver, but they did fix it and it does shoot well.

I had some issues with the gun when I first got it.. The comp was way loose. and the rear sight was not adjusted at all. I had to crank it to height to get it to hit a target at 7 yards. And it is an amazing revolver. I like the weighted competitor as well. But it's not suitable for camping carry.

I am a moron. Took it to FS. As they are awesome with service. Jim is one of the really knowledgeable hardware guys. The extractor rod was loose by a few turns. They've sent guns back that I've had issues with.

Hmm. Mine is pretty tight and I've not had a problem. It does take some slightly additional effort to open the cylinder but as Squib notes above, I'd rather have it be tighter than looser. The cylinder locks in immediately when I close it. I did have to send it back to S&W because the barrel was canted, which was annoying on a PC revolver, but they did fix it and it does shoot well.
Did you take a pick of the canted barrel? It seems like mine might be a bit off. Also.. After 100 rounds at the range(ouch) I had to tighten the ejector 2-3x. and the comp was loose.

Did you take a pick of the canted barrel? It seems like mine might be a bit off. Also.. After 100 rounds at the range(ouch) I had to tighten the ejector 2-3x. and the comp was loose.

Not sure if I did. I swear I didn't notice it when I purchased the gun but it sure was noticable after a few range trips.

everything on S&W revolvers loosens up while shooting
-strain screw
-cylinder release screw
-top strap - rear sight screws
-sometimes even side plate screws loosen too

the only one that bugs me is the strain screw since one will start getting light strikes. so i usually degrease and drop a dab of locktite there. why S&W doens't do this from the factory is beyond me.

all these screws are reasons why I find the ruger revolver design substantially more robust. for some reason people focus on the thickness of ruger revolvers which to me is useless weight and possibly related to their cast steel rather than forged, but the fact that ruger was able to design a revolver with so fewer screws is pretty cool.

Back
Top Bottom