80% AR build/build party in Nahsua, NH --LAST CALL--

I'm IN!
I bought two lowers and put money towards the community jig.
I have no machining experience but I can bring whatever you guys want/need (except for my avatar) beer and/or food. If you need tools let me know what to pick up.

Thanks for running this!

When do you think this mighy take place? I'm a so-called Machinist and could bring a nice drill set and maybe more tooling. I wouldn't be working on my own lowers but could help.

Tommy

I didn't post IN prior cause I'm not a drinker and I didn't want to take a spot from someone dying to pull on GD's tap ;)

But if you can fit me in, I'd like to finish off my lower. I don't have much of anything in the way of tools, but if you need something let me know!

Tommy Gun, ninemilshooter, et al... Send me the info I requested and you'll be added to the spreadsheet. Once we have an ETA on the lowers, we'll start to firm up the plans. Right now, Dave and I are thinking that we'll want to run through one (or two) lowers before the party so that we get the process nailed down, as well as how long it will take per lower. If we get another drill press, or two, then we could get more of an assembly line effect going. If not, then a bit more time will be consumed with changing of bits.

I need to get some stop nuts for my drill press spindle travel. I'll probably get those before the end of the weekend. Just need to figure out what size to get and do it. Especially since the correct parts (from Porter Cable, or parts places) is not all there (missing a spring in the set). I'll just use a pair of nuts to do the same thing.

I have some Cerakote samples on hand now too. So people can see what they look like in case they want to get that done to the lowers (or other parts).

80% AR build/build party in Nahsua, NH

Don't really need a special event in order to drink... I'm actually brewing an English IPA on Saturday if you want to see what's involved in that... [smile]

English!?!?! No no no

Sent from an illegal communications device deep within the bowels of an illegal detention center, yeah I've been black bagged.

I'm IN - I threw down a little on the community jig. I've got roll pin punches, holders and just regular punches. A vise block for the mag well (as well as an upper one, in case someone needs it). Castle Nut Wrench.. Your standard array of hand tools. A Dremel. Afraid I don't have any of the heavy lifting stuff. Oh a 1/2" Drive DeWalt Impact Wrench!

English!?!?! No no no

Sent from an illegal communications device deep within the bowels of an illegal detention center, yeah I've been black bagged.

American IPA's typically have far too much bittering hop additions to them. I don't like drinking face implosions. I get plenty of hop flavor and aroma in mine, without the nasty bitterness. For me, DFH IPA's (and SA IPA's) are swill that I wouldn't serve to my worst enemies.

I have a barleywine that I need to transfer to age a while. I need to see if it's at my target strength or not. The goal is/was 15.3%. If it finishes a little lower in ABV, I'll be ok with that (since it will have more body).

I hope to get my 25% ABV mead started soon.

I have a clear face shield to use. I think I have another pair of safety glasses around here someplace too. Since I wear glasses normally, safety glasses are not usually a good choice for me. That's why I have the clear face shield.

If someone has a set of speakers (2.1 system) that they could bring for the build party, that would be great. I might be able to wrestle up a two speaker setup, but it would be nice to have a subwoofer too.

Update on the Mini Mill Mods:

Z Axis DRO installed and working. 9.5 inches total movement
X Axis DRO installed and Working 9.3 inches total movement
Gooseneck task light mounted, need to finish wiring
Compressed air line to blow out chips mounted, Needs minor finishing touches.
Gas Spring conversion done replacing torsion spring to increase Vertical movement from 7 to 9+ inches.

Tasks to complete yet:

Mount and finish Y Axis DRO
Fabricate temporary mount for DRO remote displays.
Adding a 110 outlet box to Power supply to power LED Task light and DROs
Fabricate extension bar to hold dial indicator to Tram Milling Head to Table.
(Already Made Vertical Mount to Spindle for Dial indicator mount)

Put all tooling and extras into tote for move to Golddiggie's
Clean up the mess in my house from all the fabrication!!!

Move everything to Golddiggie's
Set up 80% jig on Mill
Run one or two lowers to check time to machine each. Schedule Builders for build party.

See you guys soon.

Malodave

Dave,

Any chance you could share some photos of all the mods? Would to see how you setup and mounted the DRO's.

Thanks...

Last edited:
Add some motors and and get something like this.

Engraver - YouTube

This is only an engraver but the principle is the same. I converted all the old controllers to a new Gecko 540 and soon I can engrave my lowers with anything I want.
I have to fix a broken mount on the Z axis and wire the spindle motor but they work.

Was this build party relying on the group buy on lowers? if not, is there anyone able to find 80% lowers available? I ordered 1 from Ares and it's out to October with a possible delivery between May and October. wdf

Was this build party relying on the group buy on lowers? if not, is there anyone able to find 80% lowers available? I ordered 1 from Ares and it's out to October with a possible delivery between May and October. wdf

Contact winter, I think he ordered some extras on the GB to sell.

Try these folks,, they were doing build parties then started selling thier own 80% receivers, CNC80 If I do another it will come from them.

$170 for an 80% receiver? No thanks.

Hell, we got AR10 lowers for just a few dollars more. While the 10 packs at cnc80 are not as bad a price, they're still about double of what we got the lowers from AA for. Might seem like a good deal if you've gone FoR, but not for the rest of us.

While its not a great deal its billet not forged like the AA ones. There will be some billet 80%ers coming down the pipe soon that will be a much better deal [wink]

Last edited:
Lower showed up today as well as a couple other goodies.

20130311_163659_zps7a0f6f20.jpg

While its not a great deal its billet not forged like the AA ones. There will be some billet 80%ers coming down the pipe soon that will be a much better deal [wink]

Billet is overkill IMHO. There is no load on the lower. Heck, they're making them out of cast aluminum, even plastic and they're surviving.

I'd like to get in if there is still room. I bought a lower, a parts kit and threw in on a jig. I'm at 128/93, but Nashua isn't that far. I have some tools, could come up with end mills, drills and such.

Back
Top Bottom