• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

80% lowers

If you are very good with tools and have decent vices and drills, they can be fun to learn how to get it all to work.

As for the P80, I'm not a fan.

For the cost of building a P80 you can buy the real thing.

IMHO the plastic used in the molding of the P80 is not as good as the real thing either

Are you asking about handguns or rifles?

The 'Perks?"

It's not a club, it's just another way of assembling a firearm that appeals to some folks. The "benefits" are:

1. Potentially Lower Cost (If you already own the tools necessary)

2. A chance to practice your metalwork skills (if this floats your boat)

3. A firearms with no serial number (if you choose not to put one on and if this appeals to you)

If you want to be off the books for privacy, there are easier ways to go about it.

If you want to be off the books for nefarious reasons, there are easier ways to go about it.

If you just like making your own sh*t. Have at it!

Last edited:
If you are very good with tools and have decent vices and drills, they can be fun to learn how to get it all to work.

As for the P80, I'm not a fan.

For the cost of building a P80 you can buy the real thing.

IMHO the plastic used in the molding of the P80 is not as good as the real thing either

Are you asking about handguns or rifles?
I am looking at AR-15 lowers. I just couldn’t seem to find anything saying if it has to follow the 16inch barrel/ no collapsible stock and all that

The 'Perks?"

It's not a club, it's just another way of assembling a firearm that appeals to some folks. The "benefits" are:

1. Potentially Lower Cost (If you already own the tools necessary)

2. A chance to practice your metalwork skills (if this floats your boat)

3. A firearms with no serial number (if you choose not to put one on and if this appeals to you)

If you want to be off the books for privacy, there are easier ways to go about it.

If you want to be off the books for nefarious reasons, there are easier ways to go about it.

If you just like making your own sh*t. Have at it!
Sounds like good perks to me

I am looking at AR-15 lowers. I just couldn’t seem to find anything saying if it has to follow the 16inch barrel/ no collapsible stock and all that
Oh good lord

Go do some research before you jam yourself up.

Ar15s can be built under federal law as pistols, rifles or others depending upon their original configuration and possibly the 4473 form filled out when you take possession of it. 16 inch barrel makes it a rifle. Less than 16 is pistol or SBR depending on stock. But there’s more to it than that.

THEN there are your state laws. That’s another story entirely.

If you want to be legal you have to educate yourself in both sets of laws.

They’re very different and vary from state to state.

Edited to correct 14 to less than 16

Last edited:
it has to, trust me. You must comply with the MA version of the 1994 AWB, among other things including any BATFE rules in place such as overall length, barrel length, etc

As long as you don't alter it past 80% it doesn't have to follow/comply with anything. Lol.
Once you so much as mark a dot in the right/wrong spot, never mind complete/assemble it, all bets are off.
Read, read, read and be mindful of where you tread...

So we should read the laws ourselves and not rely upon gun shop workers, cops, or internet randos?

Don't be obtuse.

Asking gun shop workers, cops or internet randos is an important part of doing your due diligence to comply with the law, but none of those sources are "gospel".

The written law IS gospel, at least insofar as staying out of jail is concerned, but the written law must have been written by preschoolers on meth, based on my own reading of it.

So, you "ask around" in order to get your bearings and a basic understanding and then you confirm it all by reading the law, reading more articles and asking more questions when you don't understand.

@MA_Compliant there asked some questions on a fresh new account, questions that could be a "sting operation" by some idiot working for the AG or could be the questions of somebody trying to get their bearings.

He (or she) could be a good guy, trying to do the right thing while still exercising their rights. He could be a sh**head trolling or a sh**head looking to catch up somebody "violating" the state's absurd laws.

Why don't you do a little bit of research on your own? It took longer to sign up to the forum than doing some research yourself. Unless you're another troll, if so carry on.

As long as you don't alter it past 80% it doesn't have to follow/comply with anything. Lol.
Once you so much as mark a dot in the right/wrong spot, never mind complete/assemble it, all bets are off.
Not sure that makes sense considering 80% lowers aren’t functional unless you machine the extra shit out that how it’s “home made”.

Don't be obtuse.

Asking gun shop workers, cops or internet randos is an important part of doing your due diligence to comply with the law, but none of those sources are "gospel".

The written law IS gospel, at least insofar as staying out of jail is concerned, but the written law must have been written by preschoolers on meth, based on my own reading of it.

So, you "ask around" in order to get your bearings and a basic understanding and then you confirm it all by reading the law, reading more articles and asking more questions when you don't understand.

@MA_Compliant there asked some questions on a fresh new account, questions that could be a "sting operation" by some idiot working for the AG or could be the questions of somebody trying to get their bearings.

He (or she) could be a good guy, trying to do the right thing while still exercising their rights. He could be a sh**head trolling or a sh**head looking to catch up somebody "violating" the state's absurd laws.
Not trolling, or a AG just a guy asking a question on a page because I heard good things.

Not sure that makes sense considering 80% lowers aren’t functional unless you machine the extra shit out that how it’s “home made”.
It doesn’t make sense to you because I was answering the question in the context of how you asked it. In other words I was answering correctly but busting yer balls.
Any functional/completed rifle lower follows the same rules as any other unless pre ‘94 ban.

Not trolling, or a AG just a guy asking a question on a page because I heard good things.
Even the guys dope slapping you had stupid questions at first and a lot of us came here to ASK questions about either guns or cats.

But consider changing your username to MA_Complaint if you want to fit in better.

well there are 2 schools of thought here

1) Constructive possession. You have enough parts to put it together, you may have them all in a box somewhere, but if you get jammed up they will toss this charge onto the charging documents.

2) It isn't a (insert configuration here) until it is capable of firing a round. This is the point where you have 7 days to file a eFA-10 in MA to report the "transaction"

If you are going to try the home brew AR build, buy 3 of them because you are going to end up screwing up at least one of them

Personally I'd go the stripped lower route for the first one

Not necessarily. For a full understanding, one needs to be familiar with both written law; court decisions; and agency interpretation and enforcement policies.

Back
Top Bottom