• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

A few C&R questions

SKS Ray

NES Member
1. Does anyone know if it is legal to sell a C&R eligible rifle to an out of state C&R holder? I'm a Mass. C&R holder and have a Cooey Model 82 trainer rifle that i've had offers on from out of state C&R holders. I bought the rifle using my LTC instead of giving the store owner a copy of my C&R so I figured it had to stay in state. Exchanging C&R license with a buyer and shipping it UPS seems legal enough, but with the Mass. laws being so screwy, i'm not so sure.

2. I know someone who bought a 70+ year old Swiss straight pull rifle from a gun show a year or so ago and gave the seller a copy of their C&R but never bothered to get a receipt or copy in return. He logged the purchase in his book but has nothing for a source except gun show/private seller. Is there a way he can correct this or is he ok? He says hes not worried about it but I told him that if hes ever audited I think he could be in trouble.

free advice... keep your books tight and tidy people. 8)

#1. Yup, you're OK to sell it out of state to another C&R holder of 01 FFL. When selling out of state, you should make sure that the firearm is legal in that state as well.

Good question on #2. I don't have an answer. I make sure I have the sellers name for the page.

And by the way, welcome to NES.

Jon

Welcome!

Item 1 as Jon says, not a problem. It is a FFL to FFL transaction according to Fed Law. MA is irrelevant to that sort of transaction.

Item 2 if he doesn't have ID for seller, he's in violation of BATFE regs and his acceptance of a C&R FFL from BATFE. Too late to do anything about it. If he's in MA, I'll bet he didn't do an FA-10 either, right? That could lead to more serious problems.

I'm still learning all this stuff, what is an FA-10? My suggestion to him was bring the rifle to an 01 holder and pay the transfer fee so the rifle will legally be in his name.

No disrespect meant but you need to do a LOT of reading here if you don't know what an FA-10 is! Otherwise you may well get jammed up and we'll be reading about you in the papers . . . not a good thing!

Read all the threads here on C&R (search for title).

FA-10 is MA "registration" form for ALL GUNS purchased or brought into MA by residents (NOT required ONLY when you move in with your guns), NO matter how you got them.

He need not pay a transfer fee to an 01 FFL, just have him get an FA-10 and file it as a "registration" (NO info on source, just gun description and buyer/possessor description).

PDs (stop at ANY PD) are supposed to have the forms, but some don't. If not, a call to CHSB in Chelsea (check threads for contact number) and they will send a few to him/you.

What Len said is correct. All you newbies to C&Rs - make sure you list who you bought it from. That's a FEDERAL log you're keeping.

FYI

I've read all the rules and regs and previous posts.

The reason people keep asking is because of what happened to me the other day when an "expert" in a gun store promised me that if I purchased a gun with a C & R, I did NOT have to submit an FA-10.

Back
Top Bottom