A little help with a bushmaster xm15-e2s

There are a lot of AR owners here... why not just post your question in the
open? [grin]

-Mike

honestly because it's not just one simple question, it's a series of retarded and semi retarded questions...I was trying to not expose myself just yet [smile]

Plus there will be a confidentiality agreement that needs to be signed, so as to ensure noone reveal my level of stupidity...I pride myself on how successful I've been on misrepresenting intelligence. [grin]

Ok, well I'll start with the least retarded, and work my way up the list:

1. Are all the "pre-ban AR-15" magazines that hold more rounds compatible, or is there a certain type I need to keep an eye out for?

2. What is a good site to order accessories for it (optics, etc)? What other accessories are a "must have"?

honestly because it's not just one simple question, it's a series of retarded and semi retarded questions...I was trying to not expose myself just yet [smile]

Plus there will be a confidentiality agreement that needs to be signed, so as to ensure noone reveal my level of stupidity...I pride myself on how successful I've been on misrepresenting intelligence. [grin]

Ask away. I scratched the heck out of a pricey lower trying to install a part that 1) I didnt need, 2) should have used different tools for. I wish I had asked at the time. :(

the only stupid questions are the ones that aren't asked. everyone learns in a forum when someone asks what they think are noobish questions. [wink]
As a semi-clueless "noob" myself (at least when it comes to long guns), I'd sure love to see a sub-forum set aside where "noobs" can ask all of their newbie questions without getting ridiculed, insulted or flamed. [grin]

CLMN

As far as budget...money really isn't an issue. I didn't go "all out" with my AR because I just wanted to get comfortable with it before I invest big bucks...but with accessories, assuming they are all compatible, I wouldn't mind paying more since I could probably still use them when I upgrade.

Ok, well I'll start with the least retarded, and work my way up the list:

1. Are all the "pre-ban AR-15" magazines that hold more rounds compatible, or is there a certain type I need to keep an eye out for?

Yes. They are compatible. I don't know anything about owning large capacity mags in non-free states though, so there may be legal issues.
(Rub it in Timber, why dont you :))

Other than plastic, there really is no physical or compatibility difference in the magazines below except for the date and the time served. The two on the left mean good times at the range, the one on the right means time with the feds if they push it.

Magazines above 10 rounds were part of the AWB (Assault Weapons Ban), so anything prior to that year, 1994, is considered pre-ban. Since MA continued the AWB ban with its own state level AWB after the federal AWB expiration, new magazines are still limited to 10 rounds. Prebans, being prior to the law, have no limits.

felony.jpg

The only difference between a pre-ban magazine and post-ban magazine is the date it was made. All AR magazines, regardless of post/pre ban status are compatible with any AR assuming the AR was made to mil-spec (which most are).

As for where to order accessories from... and what accessories are "must have's"... wow... there's really no way to answer that without listing a million things... it really depends on what you want.

Like some have said before... the AR is the barbie for men. You can literally modify and customize almost every part of the AR. So it's really what YOU want to do to it... what functions you want your AR to serve.

For instance... I built my most recent AR on a Pre-Ban lower... set up like an M4... as this is my all-around rifle for SHTF purposes, I wanted it well suited for close encounters... but I also know how to use it out to 400 meters.

Specs:

Eagle Arms (Armalite) 5.56 Preban Lower
LWRC M6A2 Piston Upper w/14.7" Barrel and Permanently Attached A2 Flash Hider
Eotech XPS2-0 (red dot sight)
Magpul MBUS (back up iron sights)
Magpul MOE Collapsible Stock
Magpul MIAD Grip
Magpul rail furniture
Tango Down Quick Detach Stubby Vertical Grip
DPMS Lower Parts Kit

[smile]

IMG_6873.jpg

IMG_6878.jpg

Do some research... spend some time on www.AR15.com and you'll get an idea for the brands to stay away from, brands to stick with... all of the different accessories you might want... and best places to purchase from.

[grin]

Last edited:
See, I want to add something in the front of the barrel, get a nice scope, and change the back of the gun....and get some extra mags, that hold more than a measly 10 rounds.

See, I want to add something in the front of the barrel, get a nice scope, and change the back of the gun....and get some extra mags, that hold more than a measly 10 rounds.

preban mags get sold here all the time...usually people sell them at really good prices compared to what you'll get at a shop...but a lot of times the mags are a little beat up but people will say if they function properly or not...a lot of shops do sell "new" preban mags in wrap that have just never been open.

As a semi-clueless "noob" myself (at least when it comes to long guns), I'd sure love to see a sub-forum set aside where "noobs" can ask all of their newbie questions without getting ridiculed, insulted or flamed. [grin]

CLMN

The whole place is supposed to be like that. If we made a special 'short' forum, people would still get ridiculed, and even if they weren't, those that are thin-skinned would still complain.

The extra mags part is easy - just look for pre-ban mags (here, not at a gun show until you know what to look for).

There are good scopes relatively cheap here www.swfa.com. I think the Super Sniper scopes are the best deal on glass for short money. Get a good mount (Larue) and you're in business. I'm assuming you have the A3 configuration (with the removable carry handle) and not the A2 (fixed carry handle). If you have the fixed carry handle, you'll have to find an appropriate mount for your scope.

What does your rifle have on the end of the barrel now? Since it's post-ban, you can't have a flash hider but there are plenty of ban-compliant muzzle brakes available.

Do a Google search on AR-15 stocks to see what you'd like to get for a stock. Since you have a post-ban rifle, you can't use a non-pinned collapsible stock, but there are lots of choices out there.

Use the extra-accessory money on ammo, and practice with it before you start bolting tacti-cool bits on your Bushmaster. (but it's OK to buy more mags!)

My stock 16" Bushmaster can hold 3" at 100 yards (10 round groups, iron sights, prone w/ sling) all day long with US milsurp or commercial .223, better with handloads. It has just a target crown, but I don't see flash with anything other than Wolf. I bought a scope mount, bipod, etc...and they never get used. Keep it simple for the first couple of hundred rounds, then decide if you need to pimp it out.

(For the record, tho, Hanwei's rifle looks badass)

55_grain

Use the extra-accessory money on ammo, and practice with it before you start bolting tacti-cool bits on your Bushmaster. (but it's OK to buy more mags!)

My stock 16" Bushmaster can hold 3" at 100 yards (10 round groups, iron sights, prone w/ sling) all day long with US milsurp or commercial .223, better with handloads. It has just a target crown, but I don't see flash with anything other than Wolf. I bought a scope mount, bipod, etc...and they never get used. Keep it simple for the first couple of hundred rounds, then decide if you need to pimp it out.

(For the record, tho, Hanwei's rifle looks badass)

55_grain

+10

Back
Top Bottom