A little incident in traffic today made me think...

True. I would hope ALL of us would have a problem for someone stepping up about "talk". That is exactly the point of the OP...well, that and for us all to ponder the WHAT IFS.

In the OP the jacked dude who left his truck WAS STEPPING UP at a stupid friggin horn. Oh yeah he was one "tough dude". Just fu*king drive through the light and have a nice day already. What a juiced up hero, stopping traffic, engaging in road rage (against the law), and telling off the Quaker Oats guy...for a horn that Mr. Oldman may have accidentally bumped into while he reached for his coffee.

It's like Mr. Miyagi and Daniel San. "You must like to fight, Karate is fighting?" he asked, no he explained, he learned karate so he didn't have to fight....

So, I have a good story on this topic that combines two of our favorite things here on NES, talking smack about idiots and trashing d***head cops (disclaimer not all cops are jerks, but some are, it's true I swear).

I am waiting in my car with my wife in a line of about 30 cars to get through a toll booth type thing. Traffic is moving very slowly (this isn't a road more of a driveway), I have waited 10 mins or so and moved 10-15 cars so I was about halfway to the tollbooth. A guy in a big truck pulls up beside me (he's in the exit/oncoming lane), the traffic in front of me starts to move, I snub up to the bumper of the vehicle in the front of me when he tries to pull in front of me. The guy pulls off to the side of the road (he's still in the middle of the oncoming lane) jumps out of his vehicle and runs over to my window waving a badge. Turns out he was either an off duty or just plain clothes LEO of some sort (transit police or some garbage), starts hollering at me for not letting him in and what the hell was I thinking and it was stupid for me to do that over 6 ft etc. etc.

I kept myself sane, handed him my license and registration, he looks at my license and sees I'm from NH and makes some wisecrack about being from out of state. He comes back 5 mins later or so, hands me all my stuff and says he's not going to give me a ticket because he was taught not to react to a situation when he's emotionally involved in the situation.

Needless to say I was a bit freaked out/pissed/annoyed/angry that this guy had the nerve to drive up in the oncoming lane of traffic, try to cut me off then threaten to give me a ticket.

I still don't know what he would have written the ticket "not letting in an unmarked off duty police officer who was breaking the law" I guess I didn't realize that had been passed as a ticketable offense in MA.

</rant>

Oh, and I agree with most of the other people, if it had gotten physical intervene, otherwise either call the police or stay out of it.

So, I have a good story on this topic that combines two of our favorite things here on NES, talking smack about idiots and trashing d***head cops (disclaimer not all cops are jerks, but some are, it's true I swear).

I am waiting in my car with my wife in a line of about 30 cars to get through a toll booth type thing. Traffic is moving very slowly (this isn't a road more of a driveway), I have waited 10 mins or so and moved 10-15 cars so I was about halfway to the tollbooth. A guy in a big truck pulls up beside me (he's in the exit/oncoming lane), the traffic in front of me starts to move, I snub up to the bumper of the vehicle in the front of me when he tries to pull in front of me. The guy pulls off to the side of the road (he's still in the middle of the oncoming lane) jumps out of his vehicle and runs over to my window waving a badge. Turns out he was either an off duty or just plain clothes LEO of some sort (transit police or some garbage), starts hollering at me for not letting him in and what the hell was I thinking and it was stupid for me to do that over 6 ft etc. etc.

I kept myself sane, handed him my license and registration, he looks at my license and sees I'm from NH and makes some wisecrack about being from out of state. He comes back 5 mins later or so, hands me all my stuff and says he's not going to give me a ticket because he was taught not to react to a situation when he's emotionally involved in the situation.

Needless to say I was a bit freaked out/pissed/annoyed/angry that this guy had the nerve to drive up in the oncoming lane of traffic, try to cut me off then threaten to give me a ticket.

I still don't know what he would have written the ticket "not letting in an unmarked off duty police officer who was breaking the law" I guess I didn't realize that had been passed as a ticketable offense in MA.

</rant>

Oh, and I agree with most of the other people, if it had gotten physical intervene, otherwise either call the police or stay out of it.

I'm thinking it was a counterfeit badge

NH: I would have told him to get a marked cruiser while I dialed 911. He could explain to the cop on duty, probably from another jurisdiction, why he was driving like a jerk.

Dont underestimate the 60-80 crowd, if this was my father and things got violent we would be reading about a dead juice bag., but Fla laws are alot kinder to senior citizens. A firearm lowers your age about 50 yrs, and I would have stepped in 100 percent if he layed a hand on the old timer, not even a question.

Not to mention they might have been in WWII or Korea (although older Vietnam vets might fit in that nowadays). I'm just NOW getting stories about my grandfather who died 30 years ago from his brother. Sweetest old man you'd ever know, but holy crap if the stories I heard are true, there's a REASON he never talked about them with family (other than his younger brother). He served in Germany and re-enlisted for Korea, saw serious action in both areas.

A young guy might punch you in the nose but an old guy will kill you.

We were at a street festival several years back and two young kids, who were obviously drunk, were taunting some old timer. He took it for a bit but then Bam! he knocked them both out cold! They were laid out on the pavement and didn't move. It happened so fast I almost missed it. We were in Little Italy so it could have been much worse for those two, I hoped they learned a lesson that day.

Back
Top Bottom