A little ways out, but applying for an LTC, what suffices as "residency?"

I hope this is the right section to ask this question but I had a question regarding what actually qualifies as residency when applying for an LTC. I am going to be opening a lease in a green town where I go to school next year (cheaper than staying on campus) and will turn 21 about 3 months into the lease. I plan to live there for the duration of my undergrad education (3 more years in total) though I expect an interruption for a deployment.

My general question is, given that I will be a leaseholder living in a green town, even if I am a new resident at that time, will I be able to apply there? If not, what steps would I need to take to be eligible to apply there.

Thanks,

Mike

It seems that residency hinges on intent and wether you do the things needed. Do you plan to live there, change your DL address to there, voter registration, put that as you address for your taxes etc. If you are living there, and intend to live there (Not using it just as an address for LTC) then you should be fine.

I intend to live there for the duration of my time in school. So 3 more years in school plus 1 stuck in the middle where I will be in Afghanistan. So until 2014.

Mike

Mike - are you going to switch your DL plate registrations, voter reg, address on taxes to that address?

At least my voters reg, and if I re-register my car probably. I wasn't going to go out of my way to change everything... but I do plan on hunkering down there for a while.

Mike

Then you may as well move your license, car reg, etc. all over and use that address as your permanent address, and apply for a LTC with the police dept of the city you are now a resident of. I would refrain from setting an "end date" to your residency in that town though, you can keep that to yourself. I've known a "green" town to require drivers license and utility bill to prove residence within their city, but you should be able to provide that when you move to the town in question and you've transferred everything over and get utilities set up in your name/etc.

Good luck, and it looks like you are a Marine, so thank you for your service!

You should be able to use your home or school address provided you pick only one horse to ride. Just make sure your driver's license, car registration, voter registration, etc. use the new address if that is indeed what you will be using as your legal address. You'll be courting trouble if you try a mix and match being a resident of town "A" for some things and town "B" for others. There is no law that states that your residency in an apartment is any less legitimate because you are going to school than it would be if you were an unemployed bum, retired, or working in the town.

Google "student voting rights" to extensive coverage of the concept in another context. The issue is dang near identical - student residents wishing to take advantage of rights of residency that the towns sometimes don't wish to let them exercise.

Honestly I just want to know if it works. If it will help to "cover my ###" to move my license and stuff their then I will, but I am not trying to cheat the system. Over at least the next 4-5 years plus this year the majority of my time is spent in that town. If it is a green town, guess I'll go for it there. I would have changed my address already but I am on campus this year and not leasing, so I still wanted my mail to go my parents house because the mail boxes on campus open like half the time you put the combos in. I just wanted to see if their were any stipulations on time spent in that town in order to apply for a license.

Mike

At least my voters reg, and if I re-register my car probably. I wasn't going to go out of my way to change everything... but I do plan on hunkering down there for a while.

Mike

The key words here are "for a while." In order to change one's residence, one must establish an abode in the new location with an intent to remain there for the indefinite future. Sounds like that is not your intent.

In order to change one's residence, one must establish an abode in the new location with an intent to remain there for the indefinite future. Sounds like that is not your intent.

Really?

What about an individual who moves from location "A" to "B", knowing that he will be in location "B" for several years and has no plans to ever return to location "A"? Think specifically of the college student who knows he will not be moving back in with his parents and that the change of address away from the parent's home is something that will not be reversed at the conclusion of the schooling.

Really?

What about an individual who moves from location "A" to "B", knowing that he will be in location "B" for several years and has no plans to ever return to location "A"? Think specifically of the college student who knows he will not be moving back in with his parents and that the change of address away from the parent's home is something that will not be reversed at the conclusion of the schooling.

I believe that, absent to remain in B for the indefinite future, the hypothetical individual has failed to change his domicile from A, where it will remain until such time as he establishes an abode somewhere else with an intention to remain for the indefinite future. I also suspect one could come up with a long line of cases on the point, but I'm not at the computer that has my Lexis password in it (and I don't have it in memory).

Back
Top Bottom