A School system teaching EMT to High School Students... SMART IDEA!

Article in the Standard times, about a New Bedford HS student. Walking out of HS, with a REAL JOB!!! FANTASTIC.. WAY TO GO NBHS ( Who else here had their EMT before they were old enough to drink?)

By EILEEN MARUM
CONTRIBUTING WRITER
June 12, 2010 12:00 AM
Most Viewed Stories

* Two teens charged in drag racing accident blame each other for causing crash
* Theresa R. Harding
* Accused gang member charged with carrying gun during chase with police
* Charming picture-perfect Cape in Fairhaven
* Grand Jury indicts Rochester man for unemployment fraud
* Eastern Fisheries blaze caused $800,000 in damage
* NBH student scores EMT certification before diploma

NEW BEDFORD — Senior Giselia Brisson will get her New Bedford High School diploma on Thursday night and she can add it to another impressive credential.

Brisson, 18, became the first student in the six-year history of the high school's rigorous emergency medical technician training program to become certified before she graduates.

"In order to receive the EMT certification, Giselia had to first take and pass a CPR course geared toward the professional rescuer," said Mike Flores, the school's EMT instructor.

That qualified her to take the two components of the EMT exam, "the practical part followed by the written exam," Flores said.

He wasn't surprised that she did so well. Brisson, he said, is a quick learner who showed a strong interest in the course.

"It's an extraordinary accomplishment for someone of her age to be serious about becoming certified in a field when still in high school. She is responsible, dependable and highly motivated," Flores said.

He added that he has been teaching the EMT course for six years and "Giselia is the first high school student to achieve certification at the EMT basic level."

Brisson was modest about her accomplishment.

"I just believe everyone should get certified in something," she said, noting appreciatively that "the school pays for the class."

She said she has long been interested in the health field. "My favorite subjects are all science-related: biology, anatomy and physiology, and chemistry."

A well-rounded student who will graduate in the top 5 percent of her class, she is a member of the Science Club, the Medical Career Club and the National Honor Society. She also is an athlete, playing on the field hockey and lacrosse teams.

In the fall, Brisson will continue her education at UMass Dartmouth, where she will study biology/pre-med.

"I want a medical career and plan to become a physician's assistant," Brisson said.

Brisson's EMT certification has landed her a job with Stat SouthCoast in Dartmouth, and she recently started training.

She will drive an ambulance, respond to emergencies and stabilize people who have serious problems resulting from trauma or other medical emergencies.

Flores said that can include extrication, splinting, immobilization, airway management and CPR.

Brisson, whose 10-year-old brother Colin attends the Betsey B. Winslow School, said, "I look forward to starting work because it is an exciting job that you can be proud of and it offers a clear career path."

That's pretty cool - I wish my high school had offered those courses.

Even if they don't seek certification, the more folks running around who know what they are doing in an emergency, the better

I can't believe she is the first in 6 yrs to make it!!! I wonder how many kids actually took it. Congrats to her and Kudos for sticking it out and passing it though!!!

My middle daughter just finished her first year of college. During the "J" term (January time off) she took an intense EMT class. She's passed the practical exam and now needs to pass the written test. But she LOVED the course. She learned a lot. She may not become an EMT, but she learned many lessons useable in life.

Cool stuff... great life skills.

had mine for about 6 years now,got mine right out of high school, glad i did it but it really isn't a career if your looking to go into a private ambulance company good stepping stone but even that has its limits. I get paid just as much as a medic as a basic now so it would be pointless for me to go to medic school unless id wanna get on a Fire department. Its good use of towns money though certainly very useful knowledge wish my school had it congrats to her.

EMT basic or equivalent is something in my opinion everyone should learn. I went to a vocational high school and was required to get a CPR cert and take a week of First Aid education (long forgotten now at a mere 26 years old, except the basics of CPR)

Most medium to large companies will pay 100% training in this area, Mass.gov has a list of places you can take it: http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=eohhs2t...ices_p_emt_training_institutions&csid=Eeohhs2

MedicalCorps.org is another resources referenced by James Rawles often. I'm keeping an eye out for a course by them offered locally. It's a small price to pay for potentially saving someones life some day.

I beg to differ

[laugh][laugh2]

i have my national EMT basic, going back to 99 [shocked]

i just now started a gig where i do more "EMT" stuff and less paperwork. anywho, it is a good skill to have.... IMO

not the whole 120 DOT deal, but at least a 8 to 24 hour "primer"... such as 1st Responder or something, not sure how long 1st Responder training is...

[cheers]

Back
Top Bottom