Accuracy International Rifles

AMV

NES Member
I am interested in getting into a High end bolt action rifle. Been giving some thought to a custom build or something like the Accuracy international AX or At platform. Dose anyone know a dealer in the New England area that stocks the AI rifles? I am looking to check one out to get a feel for it.

Do you have an intended use in mind?
AI rifles are nice I guess (I have no experience with them), but they are very pricey; I thought I saw a $5k price on one. I could do a lot with $5k in a rifle if it was for a specific purpose.

"Intended"use would be accurate long range shooting with a quality rifle. l have considered having a rifle built on a Surgeon Or Stiller action, seems like the end result would cost about the same. The AI rifles seem to be top of the line. I understand a Rem 700 or the new Rugers can be made to shoot just as good for 1/3 the price and when I say long range that is relative to New England standards for the time being. Make no mistake this is not about what I need to get the job done,

"Intended"use would be accurate long range shooting with a quality rifle. l have considered having a rifle built on a Surgeon Or Stiller action, seems like the end result would cost about the same. The AI rifles seem to be top of the line. I understand a Rem 700 or the new Rugers can be made to shoot just as good for 1/3 the price and when I say long range that is relative to New England standards for the time being. Make no mistake this is not about what I need to get the job done,

That covers a lot of scenarios. Do you mean long range hunting? Informal steel plate shooting on a private range? Competition (I'll assume its competition because that's where you started the post [grin])?

What competition? F-class?, F-TR? Benchrest? Those really are the only "competitions" I know of in the Northeast that would use a scoped bolt rifle, except of course the grandaddy of them all: NRA 2-3-600 Highpower.

I don't mean to hound you with these questions to be a prick, but different games dictate different rifle needs.
F-class is where you see the real high-dollar custom jobs. I see Kelby's, RPA's, Shilen, Tubb/McMillan, Bat's, etc.. I've also seen a Savage shoot the high score for the day.
I've never seen an Accuracy International on the line. Not to say they're not a good rifle (at $5k they better be), but they just aren't set up for competing.

That being said, if you want an AI, just because you want an AI, well that is a perfectly good reason to buy one. If the idea has its hooks in you, believe me when I say I can understand. But, if you want a rifle for competition, I'd hate to see somebody spend many thousands on a particular rifle and then find out that it just isn't the best tool for the job.

Primarily long range hunting and steel plate shooting, I started the post here because I thought there would be more knowledge of rifles in this class with this crowd.

I am not hooked on the Accuracy International rifles really, I have been wanting to build a rifle on a custom action like a Surgeon, Defiance, Stiller ect.. or something similar in quality. I see a lot of people are utilizing the Accuracy International chassis and magazines. Some of those chassis are well over the $1000.00 mark, I would just like to get behind one and see if this setup even appeals to me. Unfortunately I don't know of any shops or smiths that would have a rifle configured like this in stock. Any input is appreciated

My buddy shoots a Surgeon in a ACIS Chassis and AI AX. I think he prefers the AX. I didn't find the ACIS to be comfortable, the AX was awesome. He does very well with both out to 1200 and wants to the sniper matches out west. At one point I was looking into GAP rifles or have something built on their Templar action. But gave up when I realized I have no patience for long range shooting

It's a ways off to the next one (spring) but if you post in the NES member shoot threads it's possible someone has one they'll bring for you to shoot and look at, albeit at a very short distance.

I picked up an AI MKIII over the summer. my first bolt action and it is smooth as silk. I read reviews and looking into AI, GAP and Surgeon. To me a Surgeon action on the AX stock would be the balls. Surgeon actions are so expensive that i just couldn't come up with the funds. The factory triggers on the AI are so nice, 2 stage, breaks like glass and light.
The at platform would be nice since you can change out the barrels with one screw.

Back
Top Bottom