Bullseye pistol accuracy.

I have started going to my clubs VERY informal Bullseye matches. It's shot with a .22lr at 50 yds and 25 yds. With a possible max score of 900. I am using a Browning Buck Mark 5.5 Target pistol. I love the pistol and it shoots better than me, but it's not perfectly accurate. For a local shoot, where you see many S&W M41, Rugers and various others.

What kind of accuracy are these level of pistols getting?

If any of these guns are bench rest fired, are they getting 10 shots in the X @ 50 yds?

My Buck Mark, when bench rested, is keeping 9 out of 10 in the 10 ring @ 50yds.

I would assume, on a more competitive level, anything less than 10X @ 50yds is unacceptable.

I can't speak to the Buck Mark for accuracy, but Bullseye can be a lot of fun.
Are you tracking your scores? How have you been doing? Iron sights or Red Dot?

I can't speak to the Buck Mark for accuracy, but Bullseye can be a lot of fun.
Are you tracking your scores? How have you been doing? Iron sights or Red Dot?

I have 2 matches under my belt. The first was a 699 6x with a red dot. The second was a 691 2x with open sights.

The matches are very informal. The gentlemen running them wants to get shooters that are new to Bullseye familiar with how a match is run. Times limit, line commands, scoring, allibies...etc.

I'm guessing you meant to say the range you have been shooting at is 50 FEET not 50 YARDS. That is the standard distance for the indoor National Match Bullseye course.

If you're keeping 9 out of 10 in the 10-ring at 50 yards with a pistol, you're out-doing most .22 rifles and are a international-class shooter!

Just about any of the target pistols you mentioned (including my S&W 41 that I've been competing with for seven years) will shoot very accurately with the right ammo. The key, of course, is the nut behind the bolt!

If you're keeping 9 out of 10 in the 10-ring at 50 yards with a pistol, you're out-doing most .22 rifles and are a international-class shooter!

Remember I am shooting this from a bench rest to see what my pistol can do. I am trying to take 'me' out of the equation.

I am curious as to what other, dare I say, entry level bullseye pistols can shoot.

The matches I have shot had been one handed. It wouldn't have mattered if I had a Buck Mark or a World Class pistol. I am the weak link.

I have started going to my clubs VERY informal Bullseye matches. It's shot with a .22lr at 50 yds and 25 yds. With a possible max score of 900. I am using a Browning Buck Mark 5.5 Target pistol. I love the pistol and it shoots better than me, but it's not perfectly accurate. For a local shoot, where you see many S&W M41, Rugers and various others.

What kind of accuracy are these level of pistols getting?

If any of these guns are bench rest fired, are they getting 10 shots in the X @ 50 yds?

My Buck Mark, when bench rested, is keeping 9 out of 10 in the 10 ring @ 50yds.

I would assume, on a more competitive level, anything less than 10X @ 50yds is unacceptable.

In my experience a decent target 22 should easily group less than 2 inches for five rounds at 50 yds off of a rest. The good ones will put ten rounds in less than an inch at 50 yds using match grade ammo and a Ransom rest.

In my experience a decent target 22 should easily group less than 2 inches for five rounds at 50 yds off of a rest. The good ones will put ten rounds in less than an inch at 50 yds using match grade ammo and a Ransom rest.

Wow! I'd love to see that done in person! Please bring your decent target 22 to my club so I can see it done. Amazing!

My Marvel conversion that I shoot for bullseye came with a target that has a .79 inch 10 shot group from 50 yds with Aguilla from a Ransom rest. I'm sure that the other big name bullseye 22's will do the same.

Bob

Wow! I'd love to see that done in person! Please bring your decent target 22 to my club so I can see it done. Amazing!

Originally Posted by Gammon

I was at the range today and one of the other shooters was practicing for our informal matches. I asked him the question. Hi response was, with his S&W M41 5 shots in 2" @ 50 yds would be the norm from a rest.

Looks like I need to try some different ammo. 3.5" @ 50 yds. is unacceptable.

Offer still stands! Come show me - maybe we can videotape it. I'll believe it then.

You do understand this is from a bench rest. An attempt to see what the pistol is capable of. Once you put the 'human' back into the equation all bets are off. [wink]

Kaos: Even from a rest you may not get the tightest groups possible out of your barrel. I rarely if ever test with a Ransom Rest. The Buckmarks, Rugers and Smith 41's will shoot under 2 inches with quality ammo. Some of the European guns will shoot an inch with Tenex.

Now to be fair I have seen a few dogs from the 41 in recent years which could not shoot 3 inches at 25 yards which in not acceptable for a "target" gun.

The Buckmark has a very good barrel and high quality control due to low production numbers. The Ruger is very good for such an inexpensive gun.

Greg Derr

Kaos: Even from a rest you may not get the tightest groups possible out of your barrel. I rarely if ever test with a Ransom Rest.

Out of curiosity, how do you test for accuracy? In my situation, I need the help of a rest to see what the pistol is possible of doing. Whether it's eyesight or bad form, keeping them in the black, shooting one handed, is a goal I am working towards.

The Buckmarks, Rugers and Smith 41's will shoot under 2 inches with quality ammo. Some of the European guns will shoot an inch with Tenex.

Greg Derr

So, if the shooter is doing their part, mid 800's are possible. Even a perfect 900 is possible although not probable?

Offer still stands! Come show me - maybe we can videotape it. I'll believe it then.

What's the big deal? My Marvel longslide conversion came with a target showing a .76 inch group for ten shots at 50yds using match grade ammo and a mechanical rest.

I also own a High Standard Supermatic Trophy pistol that I have tested at 25 yds. Using decent ammo, Winchester Ten X I believe, I was able to shoot sub one inch five shot groups at 25 yds. I must admit that I have not tested this pistol at 50 yds. This type of accuracy is fairly common with quality 22 target pistols.

There is a bullseye match in North Attleboro on June 28th at 8am. Feel free to come on by and shoot with us. I'm still learning myself.

I never said it wasn't THEORETICALLY possible... I just have never seen it done, and would like to some day. Of course, I've only been shooting for about 40 years, so maybe I've missed seeing some of you world-class shooters!

I must be missing something. It doesn't take a "world class" shooter to shoot a sub one inch five shot group at 25 yds with a high end pistol like my High Standard using quality ammo of of a sandbag rest. O.K, I must admit that I also used a dot scope instead of iron sights.

Quaboag Sportsmens Club in Warren, MA is having one of our very informal matches on July 11th. It's open to the public. Rimfire starts at 10am and centerfire at noon.

I must be missing something. It doesn't take a "world class" shooter to shoot a sub one inch five shot group at 25 yds with a high end pistol like my High Standard using quality ammo of of a sandbag rest. O.K, I must admit that I also used a dot scope instead of iron sights.

You're not missing anything. I can shoot a sub-one-inch fire shot group at 25 yards from a sandbag rest as well. To make the leap that you can automatically make a sub-2-inch group at twice the distance (50 yards) just because it makes sense mathematically, does not cut it.

Can you also shoot a sub-5-inch group at five times the distance (125 yards)?

Again, I just want to see it done. My personal experience with .22 pistol shots beyond 25 yards is that they tend to end up all over the place, given factors like the relative low velocity of the round, effects of wind, etc.

Looks like I need to try some different ammo. 3.5" @ 50 yds. is unacceptable.

I recently bought a Ruger 22/45 MK III for training purposes. I did some reading online, then went to the range with it and 4 different brands of ammo that I had on hand. I bench-rested the gun and shot to see what the gun worked best with.

I noted MAJOR differences in grouping with the different brands of ammo.

My first suggestion to you is to try doing the same thing to narrow down what ammo YOUR GUN likes best. Then when you take the variability of ammo out of the equation, you can work on the shooting skills aspect to perfect your shots. [Disclaimer: I am not a bullseye shooter. I did that >30 years ago and haven't shot competitively for 30 years now, but I still think my advice is worth trying out. [wink] ]

There is a bullseye match in North Attleboro on June 28th at 8am. Feel free to come on by and shoot with us. I'm still learning myself.

Whatever you say Greg! [rofl] [laugh]

The results are in (sort of). Since I haven't done a lot of shooting at 50 yds with my target 22s, I decided to give it a try. This was an impromptu test under poor conditions as it was raining at Harvard today (6/21). The distance wasn't quite 50yds as I used one of the Action Shooting pits. With the bench moved to the rear of the covered platform, I paced off about 46 yds.

The bench was a little taller than waist high and not that stable. The real problem was that you had to bend quite a bit at the waist to get the gun on the rest. Those of you familiar with the Action Shooting ranges know what I'm talking about. The sandbag was absent as I don't own one. My range bag (a nice $30 tool bag from Lowe's) served as a rest. The target was the head of an IPSC target.

The pistol was a High Standard Supermatic Trophy with an after market barrel; I forget the maker's name. The sight was an old (20 plus years) Tasco Pro Point. The ammo was Winchester Super X and CCI Blazers.

Conditions were poor with rain varying from light to heavy and the light was dim enough to make the IPSC head hard to pick out.

I shot several five shot groups on the head with indifferent results; four shots into 1.296 in with a flyer to open the group to 2.214 in was common. I blame this on the reduced light and the fact that the target was starting to wilt causing the head to lean forward at an angle. At this point there seemed to be no difference between the Winchester and CCI.

I had decided to quit due to the inclement weather and poor light when I discovered some targets I had made up (six inch white painted circles on cardboard) in the back of my truck. I decided the increased visibility was worth one more try. The results were worth it. The Super X printed a 1.195 in group for five shots with the Blazers coming in second at 2.214 in.

This has convinced me that a high end target pistol with quality ammo can group two inches at 50 yds. It has also reminded me what a great pistol the High Standard is. If you find an older one for sale at a reasonable price, grab it! Unfortunately the newer ones (different MFR) aren't all that good.

Back
Top Bottom