Advice for a dad looking to CC.

If you don't discuss it with them, they will discuss it with you at the most inopportune moment. Like in a grocery store at the top of their lungs when they bonk their head into your CCW and ask "is that your gun daddy?!?"

I am not a fan of hiding it from or ignoring it with family. It is safer for all involved to be informed, educated, etc... Make the kids safe with guns, since you can't teach the guns to make themselves safe with kids.

Yep, very well said! I didn't see your post before I typed mine, but you are basically saying the same thing. They WILL find out, and it's far better for you to explain it on your terms rather than to try educating them in the middle of moonbat central![laugh] I have educated all of our older boys too, but my daughter was the most important because she is still very young, curious, and always with us.

Can't belive I am going to say this but that mall ninja nutnfancy has a pretty decent video on YouTube about kids with guns... I will tell you I grew up around them and had no troubles... I strongly disagree with the theory of locking them up not letting them see them until they are 16 theory a few have.... when they are always around them they excitement goes away they are like a kitchen knife... lock them up.never allow them to have then or shoot with them you create a kid that is obsessed with seeing and playing with them

The best advice I can give you for a dad who wants to pack a pistol...Get a darn good pistol safe.
With children around you want to have a GunVault biometric pistol safe for when the pistol is not physically on you.

The fingerprint locks are pretty easily defeated. Fine for a child less then ten, but older than that, and a combo lock is better IMHO. Smitty, can you help me understand the reasons the digital pushbutton combo locks (e.g. Sargent & Greenleaf 6120) are not secure for kids? That's what I use and was under the impression that the only thing more secure is a spinning combo lock, as long as you exercise some intelligence in choosing the combination.

When my kids were old enough to be curious about guns, I told them "anytime you want to see Daddy's guns, just let me know - but it will only be when I'm there with you."

So on the several occasions when they did ask, I took them out of the safe, carefully double-checked they were clear, and let them handle them - obeying all safety rules. After this happened a few times, the "mystery" was gone, and they didn't care anymore.

As long as you start young, and teach them the right things, they'll carry away those lessons for life. Better they learn about guns from Mom and Dad than on the street. They DEFINITELY understood the Eddie Eagle mantra if they were to see a gun outside of our house: "stop, don't touch, leave the area, and tell an adult."

As far as the possibility of being "outed" by your kids while you're carrying - they just have to be taught that there are certain things we only discuss in our own home. With enough emphasis, they'll get it.

Good Luck!

Excellent advice. Kids have great radar for detecting when you're being evasive or nervous about something. Just treat it matter-of-factly like you would discussing any other tool.

If your kids are old enough to talk to about Strangers, they are old enough to talk to about gun safety. I make no attempt to hide my firearms from my kids (which would be impossible anyway), but they know that we don't tell people if me or Mom are carrying, just like there are other things we don't talk about. Besides. if you are doing it right, they won't know you are carrying unless you tell them.

My Son started shooting at 6 and he is 11 now. He can recite the safety rules backwards and forward on demand, and more importantly, he understands those rules.

Educate your children. Enjoy your new firearm. Shoot often

Knowledge is the best prevention tool. the 5 year old you can probably understand that they're no different than knives or a hot stove, that is he shouldn't touch them because he could get hurt but since you're an adult you can. tell him that if he ever sees one other than yours, he needs to go to an adult and tell them immediately. tell him not to talk about them at school or with friends or with anyone besides you at this point, especially about you owning or carrying one. As he gets older you can educate him more.

As for storage, you can't really go wrong as long as its an actual safe. children aren't the greatest locksmiths

Nobody in my family has had or used guns since my grandfathers. My little sister is nine and at this point she knows the basic rules I listed above, but she isn't afraid that I have one. I've taken her to the range but haven't gotten her to shoot yet. She thinks its "cool" that I know how to shoot a gun and wants to learn, but she's a little preoccupied with justin beiber right now

I don't know if I have a "horror" story but the kids have definitely lifted daddy's shirt in public before. I'm just used to being very aware of where they are around me and what they're doing to me now. Hasn't happened in quite a while. Its more common for them to run into it on my belt.

I either pocket carry a Bodyguard or IWB an M&P 9c. Which one I choose is largely dependent on what I'm doing. If there's a high potential for lots of bending over or reaching up, I'll just pocket carry the BG. Otherwise, I go with the 9c and exercise caution.

Should be receiving my G3 holster tomorrow. Here's a pic.
ubeqy6y2.jpg

If your kids are old enough to talk to about Strangers, they are old enough to talk to about gun safety. I make no attempt to hide my firearms from my kids (which would be impossible anyway), but they know that we don't tell people if me or Mom are carrying, just like there are other things we don't talk about. Besides. if you are doing it right, they won't know you are carrying unless you tell them.

My Son started shooting at 6 and he is 11 now. He can recite the safety rules backwards and forward on demand, and more importantly, he understands those rules.

Educate your children. Enjoy your new firearm. Shoot often

This. Teach your kids.

No secrets with my kid. She knows that I'm carrying or near something loaded if I'm awake, she knows how to handle long guns and pistols, she knows the rules, and she knows wtf the second amendment means. She's a decent shot with her .22 too - next spring may be just about time to introduce her to the AK. She doesn't love guns, but she loves the idea of safety, freedom, and security that they represent, and enjoys time out shooting with Dad.

Hiding guns from your kids is what liberals and the panty-wetting Brady crowd want you to do. Let the lads and lassies in on it - showing a little trust and praise for the youth generally helps them to embrace the wonderful role of being a self aware and responsible person and helps them to grow up strong. Who gaf if they "out you" to friends, family, teachers, whatever? Not treating guns and the carrying thereof as a normal way of life is part of what keeps normal people (particularly in MA) in a state of constantly feeling obligated to defend themselves against the insane, drooling masses of idiocy streaming out of Cambridge, Boston, Williamstown, etc.

Back
Top Bottom