• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AK47's - Who makes the best one and why?

Vepr for the win !!!

I've owned a wasr 10/63, new production Wasr 10, N-PAP, O-PAP, Norinco 56s-1, Norinco 56s-2, Century Arms C39V2, and A converted Saiga. Not to mention I've run A few Arsenal Models from SAM7R to SLR 107's and I have to say the Molot Vepr's are in a class of their own. So much to the point I've sold all other AK's to fund a Vepr Collection .

left to right......

7.62x39, 5.45x39, .308, Vepr12....

IMG_1737.jpg

Currently in the Hunt for a Vepr in .223/5.56 and 7.62x54R .

from fit and finish, reliability, and consistent accuracy you can't go wrong with a Vepr.. just my 2 cents.

Short answer? Russians.... Now, I personally believe the AK is a hard platform to screw up. As we all know I.O. Is a substantiated outlier; CAI makes excellent AK's and imports some great examples! Their RAS is ok for a newbie or someone that doesn't shoot over 1,000 rounds per year. But, the cast trunnion has me skeptical for obvious safety concerns. The Yugo PAP and Romanian Cugir imports are excellent rifes -- I love to plink with them. An SKS sporter is also a great viable option. The polish, Egyptian MAADI's, Vepr's etc. are all rifles you can't go wrong with! When it comes down to price, quality, and function, I'd go with a modern WASR all day. You just need to know what you're looking at (e.g. Rivets, canted sights, head-spacing, barrel alignment, magwell cuts, and so forth. That's my *opinion.*

I've had about all available. Romanian, Hungarian, Russian (Tula parts Kit), Polish, Chinese. Top is my Molot Vepr K with an RPK receiver. 2nd is my Bulgarian machined receiver, 3rd a Polytech Chinese. ALL of my ak's go bang every time, but these were the best shooters.

Anyone have any experience with SLR-106F? It's the 5.56 Arsenal side folder. I've been wanting a 5.45/AK74 to complement my 7.62x39 AKs but at this point is seems like that doesn't make sense either on the ammo front or availability front. I have found a vendor with a 106F in stock for about $1120. Just figured a 5.56 AK would offer plenty of ammo availability compared to 5.45 (no poison bullets though, alas). I know mags can be expensive and tough to track down. Anyone else got any 5.56 comments?

Plus it's pretty:
upload_2019-2-22_16-39-31.png

Cleaning out emails, I found this similar thread:

New Romanian AK47 (Wasr-10's) now only $299
That hurts...these days I really only see 7.62s around and I don't feel like I need any more of those right now. I was also think adding a 308 semi would be cool, but I really haven't found anything that interests me, it's all really expensive or not my cup of tea (or redundant).

Anyone have any experience with SLR-106F? It's the 5.56 Arsenal side folder. I've been wanting a 5.45/AK74 to complement my 7.62x39 AKs but at this point is seems like that doesn't make sense either on the ammo front or availability front. I have found a vendor with a 106F in stock for about $1120. Just figured a 5.56 AK would offer plenty of ammo availability compared to 5.45 (no poison bullets though, alas). I know mags can be expensive and tough to track down. Anyone else got any 5.56 comments?

Plus it's pretty:
View attachment 270676
Awesome gun. I’ve shot one, was a tac driver. Mag availability sucked and prices. If you can find the mags at the right price awesome gun.

I have a romanian sar1 and a chinese mak90. I gotta say, that mak90 is pretty dang good for it's price point and availability. Some people say the 1.5mm thick sheet metal (as opposed to common 1mm) is better. I honestly don't notice a difference with recoil (maybe it's more durable). But I'll tell you, the stock trigger is better than the Tapco G2 that many people use. It's 4lbs at most with a light takeup and crisp break. Also the action is super smooth. Charging the bolt is effortless. The front sight is hooded and came zeroed from the factory (no cant, everything is dead center!!). Fit and finish is a lightly brushed metal look. Riveting is perfect. Seriously guys, get a mak90.

In NH
Get the Sam7 or an Arsenal SGL21
If u want to see a Russian , Milled Bulgarian or Polish at the Club let me know
Which Polish? I never turn down the opportunity to shoot AKs :) ...I've shot a SAM7 once (first AK I ever fired, actually) and it was really nice. That's why I was thinking of maybe adding an Arsenal. I had my heart set on a SLR-104FR for whenever I moved but those don't appear to ever be coming back, that's why I was thinking I could complement my 7.62s with a 5.56. There's AKFiles marketplace, maybe, but the ammo supply seems suspect.

I have a 2015 WASR on which I've only swapped the shepherd's crook for a retaining plate (although I'm trying to get the muzzle nut removed to put a brake on there) and a converted Saiga I've fiddled a bit with (planning to add RS Regulate w/ PA 3x Prism scope). The WASR is no frills (I really want new furniture) but it's been utterly reliable and quite accurate over the past 3500 rounds or so. As Rob Ski says, it's the AK Gateway Drug.

Atlantic's AK74 offerings have been meh over the last 18 months; I don't want to SBR the Arsenals they have and I don't trust Riley, and I don't want an AIMS/Tantal.

Zastava had a whole bunch of stuff at Shot show, but I think all was 7.62x39. It seems hard to go wrong with an Arsenal, even if you pay a bit of a premium.

Those of you with Arsenals, have they been worth the money? Seriously considering adding an SLR-106F. I'd prefer FR for the rail, but they don't make them anymore. I guess a side rail could be added later.

Mag price sucks, but it does look like several vendors have 20 rounders...debating the 106F or getting a BCM upper instead.

Those of you with Arsenals, have they been worth the money? Seriously considering adding an SLR-106F. I'd prefer FR for the rail, but they don't make them anymore. I guess a side rail could be added later.

Mag price sucks, but it does look like several vendors have 20 rounders...debating the 106F or getting a BCM upper instead.
Just a Taste
I think mine all shoot great and have no issues, paint on mine have been great but hear some flake. No canted sights and accurate

Attachments

• DAEFC6C0-1358-4E34-A6A9-6111143D28F0.jpeg
    DAEFC6C0-1358-4E34-A6A9-6111143D28F0.jpeg
    134.7 KB · Views: 32
Just a Taste
I think mine all shoot great and have no issues, paint on mine have been great but hear some flake. No canted sights and accurate
I had heard that the paint/finish is sensitive to the cleaning products used--certain ones are completely fine, others will destroy it. Sort of like a pearl and vinegar.

The lack of a side rail on the SLR-106F kind of bites (plus the aforementioned mag situation), but adding a 5.56 to the AK portfolio might be a nice thing.

ETA: how's the finish on the internal parts? Easy to clean? I've had some AR parts that have been like sandpaper, leaving tons of lint and stuff, but my AKs are usually smooth sailing.

Last edited:
So, I goofed and missed out on the SLR-106s it seems.
However, looks like there's going to be 5.56 WASRs coming (back) to the market, possibly next month?

Anyone got any input on 5.45 availability as well? Still would love an AK74 but it seems like the 7n6 ban crushed the market in terms of ammo availability and people making 5.45 AKs.

Why not get a Galil ACE instead?
It's an option. There's some negatives, though:
  • $500-$700 more expensive
  • I'm left-handed and the right-sided charging handle is a feature, not a bug; the ACE flips it
  • My personal opinion is that they are ugly.
On the plus side it's setup for optics, uses STANAG mags, etc.

Apparently PSA is supposed to be making a 5.45 AK, but depending on who you ask, it's close or not that close to coming to market.
I'd much rather have an import, though.

Last edited:
So I want to start another thread similar to the AR15 thread I started last year. This thread is not for me this thread is intended to be informative for everyone, like the AR15 thread. I want the facts! Who makes the best AK's and why. Don't just spit out for example, Bulgarians and thats it. Tell me why their AK is superior to other manufactures. Now, I already know this thread will differ from the AR thread because well, AR's can be built from start to finish in one building, unlike most AK's that are composed of parts kits. I also know two companies may appear to make the same gun, but the quality and craftsmanship may differ.

Also, this thread is not to be used as a AK flame thread or AK vs AR thread. Those types of posts will be deleted.

Enjoy
I think outside of russian.(which I don't know much about other then big$$) for a guy like me chinese make the best ak. The barrels are thicker and coated from what I've learned, plus hawt damn just an all around fun, simple, easy, reliable rifle, anyone can shoot, I will take the loss in muzzle velocity for the simplicity and functionality of an AK compared to an ar15 any day. But I'm also one of those guys that never even shot an ar15. Iam not even interested. Too many parts for my liking.

In 7.62, the Valmet is the best - but very scarce and pricy. In .223, it’s the Galil. Then comes everything else. For the rest, it depends on what you want (tradional, milled, stamped, pre-ban, 5.45x 39 instead of the 7.62 etc.) but agree Chinese are good, especially the milled stuff. Russians, Bulgarians and Hungarians all made great AKs that were imported too. Going on personal experience.

And go shoot an AR - completely different animal and useful in it own right.

How do people feel about the Tavor in this discussion? I realize that aesthetically and in terms of manual of arms, it's nothing like an AK, but at it's core it's a Kalashnikov (or an AK/Valmet/Galil midget Frankenstein, depending upon one's biases). It seems like it checks all of the boxes for milled receiver, well built parts, and was developed by a major military power vs Backyard Bob the AK Smith or even a collection of smart guys. On that last point: a collection of smart guys will generally make a rifle that works better, but a major state will generally make a rifle that performs worse but deals with outlier conditions far better. I nearly always go for the former, but the ethos of an AK seems to be "will shoot minute of capitalist-pig-dog even if Sergei accidentally run over with T72....Sergei too much enjoy vodka".

How do people feel about the Tavor in this discussion? I realize that aesthetically and in terms of manual of arms, it's nothing like an AK, but at it's core it's a Kalashnikov (or an AK/Valmet/Galil midget Frankenstein, depending upon one's biases).

WAT?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djMQPC6NIgk

A Tavor is not an AK.

Maybe the piston and bolt are similar, maybe. But it's not an AK. Not even in the same ballpark.

That's like saying a BHP and a 1911 are the same thing because they had Brownings name on them.

[rofl]

Back
Top Bottom