AK47's - Who makes the best one and why?

DDI stuff is great for price Troy Sellars is working for them and he knows
his shite.
this for sure, For the $$ you get a straight shooter that will do what any AK can do. Barrel is top Notch and No cant sights.LOL.
I have a few Quality AK's and still want a DDI.. And also the Century C39V2 gets crap from AK guy's but its a solid runner, I talked to the owner of Battlefield Vegas (Biggest rental place) and he said the thing keeps running and a Very good running AK. He should Know

Both DDI---> ddi47.jpg ddiwood%20(7%20of%2014).jpg

Last edited:
I love the polytech legend with its milled receiver. Solid piece of equipment albeit pricey these days. The organ with under fold stock rocks.

Buy a kit and get into building AKs, there's a ton of satisfaction at doing it and you get better the more you build. You tube is your friend on this but a build party is better. There are populated barrel kits out there making it easier too !

What's the difficulty level and availability of parts? I assembled an AR lower after buying the parts that I wanted on my budget, so I am on that general level of capability.

I just don't hear nearly the same amount of "build it yourself" clamoring that I do with ARs.

I'm definitely not looking for a collector's heirloom or something, just the AK equivalent of the M&P Sport/Ruger AR556, roughly speaking.

What's the difficulty level and availability of parts? I assembled an AR lower after buying the parts that I wanted on my budget, so I am on that general level of capability.

I just don't hear nearly the same amount of "build it yourself" clamoring that I do with ARs.

I'm definitely not looking for a collector's heirloom or something, just the AK equivalent of the M&P Sport/Ruger AR556, roughly speaking.

Ar is the IKEA of guns to build.

Parts kits are easy to find. After market is there if you look.
You will bleed , you will cry , you will invent swear words. But you will have fun.
a basic ak-builder build is just crushing some rivets and pressing a barrel in. Not that hard if you know how to use tools.

AR15 s are put together, AKs are built, the parts right now are readily available. Some kits are as low as $319.00, I just picked up a Polish fixed stock for under $400.00. You also need a barrel, trigger kit and other required parts to make it legal. There are tools you can buy and others you can make but yes you need to be fairly good at making things. You will bleed, wash injured parts in Russian vodka and you will be ok. Building AKsisnt for pussies.

AR15 s are put together, AKs are built, the parts right now are readily available. Some kits are as low as $319.00, I just picked up a Polish fixed stock for under $400.00. You also need a barrel, trigger kit and other required parts to make it legal. There are tools you can buy and others you can make but yes you need to be fairly good at making things. You will bleed, wash injured parts in Russian vodka and you will be ok. Building AKsisnt for pussies.

Yeah, the more I read, the more I'm thinking it's probably out of my league. My only option would probably be finding a build party to get in on. It stinks because I do like the satisfaction of building along with the increased knowledge you get, but a little internet trawling is making me think it's over my head at this stage.

Yeah, the more I read, the more I'm thinking it's probably out of my league. My only option would probably be finding a build party to get in on. It stinks because I do like the satisfaction of building along with the increased knowledge you get, but a little internet trawling is making me think it's over my head at this stage.

New England armory will be hosting parties .
Tomorrow we have ar party .

Buy a kit and get into building AKs, there's a ton of satisfaction at doing it and you get better the more you build. You tube is your friend on this but a build party is better. There are populated barrel kits out there making it easier too !

Yeah, ask Ben how good the populated kits were at the build party in Gardner last year. A bunch had bad headspace

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, ask Ben how good the populated kits were at the build party in Gardner last year. A bunch had bad headspace

Yeah I read that thread, disconcerting. AK-Builder says they headspace check their kits but recommend you do so as well. It's a surefire way to ruin someone's day.

It was still a great day. That is awesome that New England Armory will be having build parties!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most of the problem with head space was with non akbuilder kits. or barrels not pressed in enough, or too much . A hair both ways and head space is bad.

Not that I would wish anyone to have problems, but I figured I'd order from akbuilder so I guess that if their kits were better in that regard, it is good.

Well I've been going thru the whole AR or AK for about a week...I think I will start with...

Red Army Standard RAS47 AK-47 Rifle by Century Arms

If you have experience with this rifle, please let me know. I would also be interested in opinions on a Yugo SKS.

As always, thanks!

d05cdb0f049a1c2daf4c349b5f50e953.jpg
Well I've been going thru the whole AR or AK for about a week...I think I will start with...

If you have experience with this rifle, please let me know. I would also be interested in opinions on a Yugo SKS.

As always, thanks!

As always, thanks!

I bought one in December. So far I have about 5-600 rds. through it with zero issues. I own 4 different brand magazines for it, and they all fit nicely. Some of the purists may take umbrage with an AK manufactured in the U.S., but for the price point, you could do worse. I paid $575 and Atlantic Firearms threw in 7 magazines. After shipping and transfer it came in at about $625. My only gripe with it is the super blonde furniture. Not a big fan, but a stripping, sanding and refinishing is fairly easy to do.

I bought one in December. So far I have about 5-600 rds. through it with zero issues. I own 4 different brand magazines for it, and they all fit nicely. Some of the purists may take umbrage with an AK manufactured in the U.S., but for the price point, you could do worse. I paid $575 and Atlantic Firearms threw in 7 magazines. After shipping and transfer it came in at about $625. My only gripe with it is the super blonde furniture. Not a big fan, but a stripping, sanding and refinishing is fairly easy to do.

It's more the fact those are made with cast trunions and other parts . Do you really want to crack a lug then have a out of battery explosion ? One of those guns failed after 35 rounds of golden tiger which isn't hot ammo .

There's a reason there forge or milled from a solid block.

Last edited:
It's more the fact those are made with cast trunions and other parts . Do you really want to crack a lug then have a out of battery explosion ? One of those guns failed after 35 rounds of golden tiger which isn't hot ammo .

There's a reason there forge or milled from a solid block.

Yeah, I get that. I basically bought it on a whim one night. Didn't do a ton of research on them, but now that I know that stamped receivers are a problem with AKs, my next one will be forged or milled. I've got to say though, it's my first 7.62 and damn..me likey. Once I buy a higher quality one, this one will probably just hang out in the safe.

Yeah, I get that. I basically bought it on a whim one night. Didn't do a ton of research on them, but now that I know that stamped receivers are a problem with AKs, my next one will be forged or milled. I've got to say though, it's my first 7.62 and damn..me likey. Once I buy a higher quality one, this one will probably just hang out in the safe.

Where talking about the trunnion . That's what the barrel mounts in . And it's also the has locking lugs for the bolt . What holds the bolt locked in position.
The cast American parts are weak and the lugs snap off or get dented . It will cause a out of battery detonation .
Basicaly the round will go off blow out the side wall of the case .
The top cover will go flying off and probably into your face.

f5fb589c938902db941d36faa3dd5b72.jpg

45b5d1e92c784239560c1e1fc22d58b4.jpg

4949587132affc20c4fcda9bb568db1a.jpg

This was a 54r round my barrel chamber face was killed out of spec but this shows you a out of battery detention.
My top cover got destroyed hit me in the face and went 15+ feet behind me .

A stamped receiver is fine . Russia first did stamped but had problems with doing it on large scale. milled receivers came about early on cause of the problems they had stamping the original ak47 . Not because it's better . Just easier to make correctly on large scale at the time. When they figured out how to stamp them they switched back . That's when the ak47 turned into the akm. A true stamped ak47 looks different from a akm. But every one calls a basic 7.62 ak a ak47 .

See the difference on the front .
Ak47
4d9b04b4fce7e1a6e998e538d5da0f6d.jpg

Akm
50c1479d2ab4a85c1064ec4fbc053d4c.jpg

As always, thanks!

I've heard things along the lines "great beginner AK" to some less than favorable things. I think given the choice, I might do a WASR instead since the new ones seem (in my limited research) to be considered improved over the previous ones. That, and if I were to only own one AK (who wants only one?) I'd probably want a combloc one, just for the historical aspects. However, if you're on the opposite side of the fence and prefer something US-made, then more power to you.

My next curiosity is what is the difference in terms of quality of an AK built from a parts kit versus something like a WASR.

In other words, besides the intangibles of doing it yourself/knowledge, etc., what physical benefits, if any, are there from doing something like an ak-builder versus buying an "entry-level" AK? My rough math has them more or less a wash. Don't get me wrong, the knowledge and enjoyment of a self-build is great, I'm just curious if I'd end up with a noticeably better or worse rifle in the end.

I've heard things along the lines "great beginner AK" to some less than favorable things. I think given the choice, I might do a WASR instead since the new ones seem (in my limited research) to be considered improved over the previous ones. That, and if I were to only own one AK (who wants only one?) I'd probably want a combloc one, just for the historical aspects. However, if you're on the opposite side of the fence and prefer something US-made, then more power to you.

My next curiosity is what is the difference in terms of quality of an AK built from a parts kit versus something like a WASR.

In other words, besides the intangibles of doing it yourself/knowledge, etc., what physical benefits, if any, are there from doing something like an ak-builder versus buying an "entry-level" AK? My rough math has them more or less a wash. Don't get me wrong, the knowledge and enjoyment of a self-build is great, I'm just curious if I'd end up with a noticeably better or worse rifle in the end.

The only down side with wasr was the ones with canted sites or assembled so the mag was wobbly. Parts not allways having the best finish.
When you build it your self you can make sure every thing is lined up. Make sure your magwell fit is nice and tight etc . Dust cover have a nice tight fit . Also you can refinish the parts before assembly .

Ak builder kits have a good finish and the barrel parts are all true .

The only down side with wasr was the ones with canted sites or assembled so the mag was wobbly. Parts not allways having the best finish.
When you build it your self you can make sure every thing is lined up. Make sure your magwell fit is nice and tight etc . Dust cover have a nice tight fit . Also you can refinish the parts before assembly .

Ak builder kits have a good finish and the barrel parts are all true .

Yeah, exactly what I heard about WASR (two chief complaints): canted sight chance, wobbly mag (although typically reported as a nuisance and rarely a functional issue). An acquaintance of mine bought one not too long ago (haven't seen it in person yet) and he didn't care for the quality of the wood furniture and was planning on refinishing it.

I was just curious about the end result of the ak-builder ones since the videos I'd seen showed some occasionally beat up stuff, but others looked quite good. It sounds like there's no cause for concern.

I was leaning towards a build for many of the previously noted things, I just wanted to make sure the end result was "quality" as in reliable and on-par or better than your basement tier AK. Plus the chance to meet and learn under some knowledgeable and decent seeming folks.

Yeah, exactly what I heard about WASR (two chief complaints): canted sight chance, wobbly mag (although typically reported as a nuisance and rarely a functional issue). An acquaintance of mine bought one not too long ago (haven't seen it in person yet) and he didn't care for the quality of the wood furniture and was planning on refinishing it.

I was just curious about the end result of the ak-builder ones since the videos I'd seen showed some occasionally beat up stuff, but others looked quite good. It sounds like there's no cause for concern.

I was leaning towards a build for many of the previously noted things, I just wanted to make sure the end result was "quality" as in reliable and on-par or better than your basement tier AK. Plus the chance to meet and learn under some knowledgeable and decent seeming folks.

Ak builder kit is great .

Thing to remember it's a ak you have to really try to mess up for it to have problems . I've shot guns with warped receivers .

Back
Top Bottom