Am I the only one using FedEx in Wilmington for shipping guns??

I've used this facility only twice in the last year and each time they've looked up their web site and gave me puzzled looks when I tell them I need to ship a firearm priority overnight. Today I asked the woman if they ship many and she said never... I bet I'm the only one in the last year.

She was professsional but I'll tell you I hate shipping one of my babies off!

Thats cause its a handgun and theres always that image in their mind of that one disgruntled worker tearing open the package and wasting them all. [mg] The few times I've had to ship a rifle the local Dartmouth, Mass. UPS depot workers never gave me a second look. Oddly had a friend in Texas recently try to ship an SKS and the woman told him they couldn't ship it because it was a semi auto rifle.[hmmm]

I "tried" to ship a rifle through USPS in Stow MA 2 weeks ago.I gave up,they were completely scared.I wouldn't have told them it was a rifle,but I read somewhere that you have to declare it.I didn't want to get screwed if it got lost/stolen,so I told them what it was.

I "tried" to ship a rifle through USPS in Stow MA 2 weeks ago.I gave up,they were completely scared.I wouldn't have told them it was a rifle,but I read somewhere that you have to declare it.I didn't want to get screwed if it got lost/stolen,so I told them what it was.

Yes, at least with FedEx you have to tell them it's a firearm... however you shouldn't/can't label the box anywhere that it's a firearm. So I wonder why you need to tell them anything... I wonder if they track it in their secret system! [rolleyes]

Thats cause its a handgun and theres always that image in their mind of that one disgruntled worker tearing open the package and wasting them all.

Funny thing was she asked me what kind of a firearm was it... I asked if it mattered and she said yes. I told her it was a Kahr.... I don't think she knew what that was so I told her a handgun. I guess she wanted to know if it was a rifle or handgun... who knows why.

The employee next to her was new to the job and just said.. wow I wouldn't know what to do if someone asked me to ship a weapon. I wanted to tell them that I have a bunch more to ship the next several weeks but figured that wouldn't be wise... [wink]

Yes, at least with FedEx you have to tell them it's a firearm... however you shouldn't/can't label the box anywhere that it's a firearm. So I wonder why you need to tell them anything... I wonder if they track it in their secret system! [rolleyes]

Well, it's federal law (GCA 68, USC 922(e) )that firearms must be declared to the shipper if they are being handled by a common carrier. I've never heard of anyone being prosecuted for shipping a gun without notifying, but I wouldnt want to get caught in that mess. Remember that the fed assumption is that a "frame" is a firearm.

As far as labeling goes, the feds say:

"No common or contract carrier shall require or cause any label, tag, or other written notice to be placed on the outside of any package, luggage, or other container that such package, luggage, or other container contains a firearm."

That being said I dont know if UPS or FEDEX has some secret flag in their
package database that they use to signify that its a fiream and it has special
handling.

-Mike

Last edited:
IVe used Fedex in wilmington a few times. I always had good luck with the Girl that was there in the morning,her husband is a cop and she knew exactky how to ship firearms. I have not been back there in a while. IF she was there you would have no problems.Fedex in Burlington sucks, I wanted to ship a rifle and they claimed it had to go overnight per federal law. Complete B.S.

Back
Top Bottom