American Blackout

A better movie would have been the adaptation of the book "One Second After" that came out in 2009 by William Forstchen. one of the best books I ever read and would make a hell of a better movie than American Blackout did.

I would love to see that adapted for the big screen. Agreed it won't live up to the book. Also, be sure to stock up on Mountain House, and water filters before it premiers. The sheep may start making purchases.

From Wikipedia, for whatever that is worth
The option for the film rights to One Second After was initially sold to Warner Bros., but subsequently expired. As of August 2011 a new option was being negotiated with another studio.[SUP][6][/SUP]
[SUP]As for American Blackout, my DVR didn't record, so I only caught the second half. I'll check out the beginning Tues. Hippie boy should have been on the other side of the fence as soon as he showed he wasn't with the program. Also, it goes to show, that one man and his family will have a real tough time defending a retreat. Need more like minded folks to pull 24/7/360

[/SUP]

Last edited:
I saw some bits and parts of the show. Some of it was interesting to see how one event affects something else and it just snowballs. While I didn't care to much for the self made videos everyone made it wasn't that bad.

Also, be sure to stock up on Mountain House, and water filters before it premiers. The sheep may start making purchases.

[/SUP]
This is very true. Glenn Beck did a piece about prepping a couple years back and everything was sold out from Emergency Essentials for months after. A big Hollywood movie would make it much worse I imagine.

Only tell people you care for about prepping. Remember, we want all the sheep to starve so we can fix the mess our country is in. If everyone preps, we might all run out of food at the same time. That would be bad.

I do like the prepper shows where all the tools are buying all kinds of mechanical stuff that can and will break down that runs on gas. Then they have all his crap they are hoarding. Useless but funny. Keep it simple and easy to move because guess what now all your soon to be hungry neighbors know where your stash is. And guess what they have more guns and trigger pullers than you

I didn't catch the whole, trapped in the elevator thing. Was there something about a 25' space to get to somewhere from the elevator car? Floors are stacked one on top of the other in every building I've ever seen. Doors are one after another going up and down in an elevator. I own an elevator and it isn't rocket science to figure out how to unlatch the elevator car door and then a door on the nearest floor. If your midway between floors you can open the lower door and jump down or the upper door and climb up.

I didn't see this movie at all, but were they in a Frank Gehry building?

685582368_90f881f20e_z.jpg

I thought it was pretty interesting and the production value was good for a tv special. I think the prepper dad's big mistake was being the only one in the group who was trained. He spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on his hidey-hole and lost it because his group wouldn't follow simple rules.

It was pretty dumb.

All these prepping shows seem to just highlight extremes. Like there are people that can't make it to the end of the day without running out to a store somewhere. These are the New Orleans response critics that claim people nearly starved to death waiting 36 hours for a FEMA convoy.

And then there are folks that are sitting on tons of grain with bunkers.

It was pretty dumb.

All these prepping shows seem to just highlight extremes. Like there are people that can't make it to the end of the day without running out to a store somewhere. These are the New Orleans response critics that claim people nearly starved to death waiting 36 hours for a FEMA convoy.

I'm pretty sure that was intentional--not intentionally "dumb" but intentionally "dumbed DOWN" to make it more emotionally impacting. I didn't hate it and for me, it served it's purpose--it opened dialog with my mom about why I have forsaken my upbringing and actually prepare for things and it sort of made her understand that in this FIFO-immediate need society, preparing isn't frivolous.

Is this on the internet anywhere? I missed it and don't have natgeo on-demand.

Sent from my phone.

It was pretty dumb.

I think you'd be very surprised at how many keep little to no food in their home and shop everyday for their meals, especially in large cities.

No matter how you slice it, New Orleans was THE WORST governmental response to a disaster in the history of the nation. Everything that could possibly go wrong, before, during and after DID and government at all levels was responsible for most of it.

I think you'd be very surprised at how many keep little to no food in their home and shop everyday for their meals, especially in large cities.

No matter how you slice it, New Orleans was THE WORST governmental response to a disaster in the history of the nation. Everything that could possibly go wrong, before, during and after DID and government at all levels was responsible for most of it.

This. I know way more people who "resupply" their needs on a daily basis than those who keep some sort of stock levels for anything deemed "essential" other than maybe coffee, cigarettes, and booze...

Alternative ending:

SPOILER!!!

Kid gets cell phone call, "it's over!"
Everyone puts their guns down, rejoice
Kid levels his rifle, "suckers!" And mows them all down yelling "say hello to my little commie friend!"

[scene]

The lazy bitch sister and her boyfriend would have a boot planted in their asses for not getting off their ass and helping to pack.

The boyfriend would have been fertilizer after giving away food that didn't belong to him. Talk about a F'ing ingrate!!! I'd have shot him right on the spot and cut my losses. People like that jeopardize everything.

the show sucked and showed that most people have no common sense. the only good idea to come out of it was the decoy food stash, but i would be armed and no one would even make it to my front lawn no matter in my house. this is another reason any prepper needs a dog or 2. they are far the best alarm system out there. the other night they were barking i turned on the outside lights and saw a deer on my lawn they must have better hearing than i ever thought. gave them each a bone and went back to bed.

Not surprised at all, I was just saying they always show the extremes and never some that is reasonablly prepared. Like they could have showed some hard working families in rural America that did just fine.

I'm honestly not convinced the Katrina response was as much as a f up as it's portrayed but maybe I just have very low expectations for a rresponse!

the show sucked and showed that most people have no common sense. the only good idea to come out of it was the decoy food stash, but i would be armed and no one would even make it to my front lawn no matter in my house. this is another reason any prepper needs a dog or 2. they are far the best alarm system out there. the other night they were barking i turned on the outside lights and saw a deer on my lawn they must have better hearing than i ever thought. gave them each a bone and went back to bed.

The showing of the widespread ignorance and lack of common sense was EXACTLY THE POINT. Prepare accordingly is the message.

Remember, Nobody is immune from a long distance head shot. Someone who knows you've got food and they want it, will shoot you looking out your window or walking out your front door. The object here is to keep a large, well guarded perimeter with good commo and well armed to fend off an invading party. I plan to control 1 mile minimum in every direction with cooperation from other prepared neighbors.

You're right, dogs are a good, probably the best suppliment to any perimeter. Their senses far exceed those of humans.

If it's just you and your family defending your home/stuff you are mistaken to think you're safe.

If it's just you and your family defending your home/stuff you are mistaken to think you're safe.

you are correct, there is a group of us in this together. i would be lying saying i'm not worried but i feel there is enough of us to get through most encounters with people. our greatest concern if there is to large of a group attempting to take what we have. only time will tell

There are other essentials beyond coffee, tobacco, and booze?

This. I know way more people who "resupply" their needs on a daily basis than those who keep some sort of stock levels for anything deemed "essential" other than maybe coffee, cigarettes, and booze...
I'm guessing those people don't live in rural New Hampshire, or anywhere else where getting snowed in for a week isn't a disaster, it's February.

I'm guessing those people don't live in rural New Hampshire, or anywhere else where getting snowed in for a week isn't a disaster, it's February.

That would be the few who do some sort of preparing. Most who live within a mile of any sort of store do not.

you are correct, there is a group of us in this together. i would be lying saying i'm not worried but i feel there is enough of us to get through most encounters with people. our greatest concern if there is to large of a group attempting to take what we have. only time will tell

Beltfed 1919s work wonders on crowds, my deceased brother inlaw all but destroyed one shooting large numbers of advancing communist Chinese in the Korean war.
God Bless John Moses Browning and all his inventions.

Crankfired 1919s work 90% as well. Get one......or two, or three.

Its so-so.
Too much cheesy drama and lack of enthusiasm for survival when the shit hits the fan.

Half of me wishes it would happen and the other half of me knows it would suck after a day. I just want to know what a city like NYC would do in the circumstances, or better yet...sunny gun free Chicago! Hahaha

Did you see the people in NYC dumpster diving the day after Irene? And looting?

Back
Top Bottom