Ammo prices & storage

I see that the US government is buying over 92,000,000 rounds various ammo. For Islamic Republic of Afghanistan, Afghanistan National Security Forces and the Government of Iraq. See http://www.fbo.gov/spg/USA/USAMC/DAA...tion 01.html

Boys and girls expect prices to skyrocket shortly.

A few years ago I began to purchase ammo and store it ammo cans when the prices were somewhat cheap, $9.99 a box of 50 for .45 and .40S&W. I purchased a few boxes at a time as well as a case here and there. I have a few thousand rounds of .45, .40S&W, .223, and other calibers that I shoot.

My little lady says "you got enough ammo for WWIII". I just say you can never have enough. So my question is how much do you guys have in reserve? Do you keep a reserve, not the stuff you bring to the range. I'm thinking of getting one of those shrink wrap machine that removes all the air and seals those plastic bags, but that could be expensive. Meantime air-tight ammo cans work very well.

What do you think? Stock up now before the prices go even higher.

Thanks for your input.

Well, a milk crate holds roughly 2.5 cases of pistol ammo (I'm using .40 S&W as my gauge as I've put that much of one brand in one). So.. I have roughly 4 milk crates right now plus some spillage. Figure 10,000 rounds?

Hardly a year's supply.

I saw the writing on the wall a while back and started buying "enough" ammo to feed all my semi-autos. NATO stuff in particular. Thank goodness for that since it's dried up.

Eventually I will also be reloading for at least the more common calibers. I'm getting closer to that all the time but just don't want to take the leap right now as I don't have enough time to do the things I need to do already!

I ended up buying a pallet of .30 cal ammo boxes online from a army/navy store. I store all the ammo in them and have them stacked neatly in a basement storage room. The ammo boxes will keep them clean and dry and all the ammo is easy to find, now, as each can is clearly marked with the contents. Also, storing them in the basement will keep 'em away from a fire for a while should that terrible event ever happen.

Finally, and most importantly, I started an inventory sheet that I keep current as new stuff comes in and other stuff gets shot. That has saved me from myself many times when I figure I need more 8mm and find that I've already got 3k rounds stored up. I'd rather buy something that is in more short supply. It's easy to lose track of what you've got unless you inventory from time to time. I ended up have justs short of 20k in 19 rifle calibers and 10 pistol calibers! I was really surprised, actually, to see it all in print!

And, no, I'm not an anal guy. I'm really not. I just got sick and tired of tripping over ammo cans and battle packs. I had to do something quick.

Rome

Where'd you find the 2k of .40 for $360? That's not too terribly expensive. Are they factory loads? I need something for my Glock to chew on for the time being [smile]

Yup...they're a mix of factory reloads, and some new ammo. I got them from these guys:

http://www.georgia-arms.com

Look under their ammo section. Someone I trust suggested them. He said that he's put well over 20,000 rounds of their ammo through his guns and hasn't had a single missfire, hang fire or squib.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom