An USPSA/IDPA/IPSC etc. questions

Persons who are not shooters have a tendency to think that cops know as much about guns as doctors know about medicine, and that a non-cop is about as likely to be able to handle a gun well as someone without an MD will perform surgery.

The pointy part of the pyramid is occupied by people from all sorts of professions, including cops (In fact, Bob Vogel is an officer who beat Dave Sevigny at one of the nationals).

The funniest story was a local cop from a MA town (who has since retired) who showed up at a Harvard match to watch and saw a woman who was either an A or an M shooter shoot a stage. His comment was "jeeze... even their women are better than anyone on our department".

I'm pretty new to shooting in general and very new to shooting sports in particular. My personal view is that shooting sports give someone like me a chance to work on more "advanced" fundamental skills in a fun and safe environment. Shooting at a single stationary target on a static range is fun, but after a certain point it gets kind of tedious and repetitive. Getting a chance to practice things like drawing/holstering, reloading on the move, shooting on the move, and shooting with impediments (carrying something, weak hand shooting, etc.) makes things more interesting, and I think develops useful skills. Sure, it's not perfect, but it's better than nothing.

I'm sure that all the muscle memory I've developed from playing this game for several years now, would translate easily to a real life scenerio. Don't know for sure because I've never had to use it but I don't doubt for a minute that my brain would be screaming - 2 alpha! And even an Alpha/Charlie to the chest pretty much means 'dead bad guy'. I don't choke on jams or misfires and don't fumble reloads. It's pretty much reflexive at this point. I could take a tactical training class but then how would I practice to keep up those skills? USPSA you can shoot almost every weekend during the season. As someone said, any trigger time is good trigger time.

There's a certain shooter around here that regularly picks up huge FTDR penalties (the worst in IDPA short of a DQ) and still comes close to winning the matches overall.
If you don't Believe it, here is some of his best work! [rofl]
[video=youtube_share;nT5ZOd5n3lE]http://youtu.be/nT5ZOd5n3lE[/video]
Priceless!

Last edited:
Priceless!

Back Story....

FTDR Example...Stage 4.... A Non-Threat(very possible it was my a family member in this scenario). Non-Threat was not cover, you could not move away from the Non-Threat, start hands ON the non-threat. IIRC there were some other restrictions but they are not coming to me at this moment. So for once I take a page right out of the IDPA book.. And I get a FTDR.... .

The International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) is the governing body of a shooting sport that simulates self-defense scenarios and real life encounters.

With that list of things one could not do... I thought to myself why would I use my Non-Threat(family member) with their backs turned to 3 threats as some sort of human shield, then deafen them with muzzle blast, as my fellow competitors did.... I guess the video speaks for itself what I MIGHT do if this situation was presented in real life.

Back Story....
. So for once I take a page right out of the IDPA book.. And I get a FTDR.... .
The International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) is the governing body of a shooting sport that used to simulate self-defense scenarios and real life encounters. but with the newer views on scripting stages has lost the vision

FIFY

IDPA and other games are what you make of them. You can strive to be successful in the comp or you can use them as practice for learnig solid fundamentals of armed SD and then the timer is just your personal adrenaline inducing device. BTW those two things are not mutually exclusive. Now I don't think I have ever really paid attention to my scores but I can tell you that after a match I remember how many shots I screwed up and how many times I failed to use cover effectively. For a while I had my wife videotaping me and then I'd send the video to my best friend who does the real thing for a living and he would critique my performance with real life in mind. I learned a lot in those sessions and it gave me things to work on for the future.

Back
Top Bottom