Andover's - New Rules For Minors(UPDATE POST 13)

yanici

NES Member
The following rules were just installed into the indoor and outdoor range rules and applies to minors/children using the range. The safety class that is mentioned in the rules is free to member's kids.

Minimum Ages. No one under the age of 8 years old is allowed on the range. No one under the age of 12 years old may fire a handgun. No one under the age of 12 years old may fire a rifle with a caliber larger than .22. No one under the age of 16 years old may fire a handgun with a caliber larger than .22. Anyone under the age of 18, along with their parent or legal guardian, must successfully complete a youth firearms program. The youth must wear their youth badge/certificate when on the range.

Last edited:
The young kids I have seen at the range seem to always be very safety conscious . I cant say this for a lot of the adults.
FUDDS love rules

I honestly have no idea how Andover is still in operation. Went there once as a guest and it was a miserable experience.

Arbitrary maximum limits on magazines (e.g. 5-round loads) are enforced. No rapid fire. No holster draws. No fun.

I opened this thread for informational purposes for mainly members who have kids shooting. Some of you don't like any rules and that is ok. If you don't like the rules you do not need to be a member. I do agree that some of the safest shooters I've see were kids on the outdoor range.

Anyone mention WHY these rules were put in place?

probably because someone did something stupid, which is why most rules get put in place. Like the warnings on coffee cups telling you that coffee is hot because that woman spilled it in her lap and sued McDonalds.

New rules are not going to be enforced until August 1st as far as minors needing to wear their qualification badges. I guess they want more time for those who need to take the class.

I don't mind rules. I hate arbitrary rules passed by those who don't have to abide by then.

It also strikes me that they're discouraging (or outright prohibiting) the demographic that's most vital to the future of our sport and our rights...

I emailed them asking if this means I can not bring my niece and teach her to shoot. After the youth program of course. No reply so far.

So, I loved have a place to shoot less then 5 min from my house but it's looking more like time to move on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a new member there and was disappointed to learn of this new rule. My 15 year old son likes to shoot one of my 9mm's and handles it very well and very safely, and has for years.

Sounds like a great set of Rules if your plan is to discourage youth participation in the sport. I hope members vote with their membership renewals.

I know. I learned there as a teenager 30 years ago every 3rd & 4th Thursday nights at the explorers group. Some scout program. It got me into small bore and then highpower.

Now I can't practice high power positions and or other style that don't break all the rules

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the new rules need some adjustments. They effectively eliminate the option of youth guests(including Boy Scouts), as the course is only offered to members and their children. Hopefully they will re-think some of their decisions.

my son has been shooting since he was 10 and he has been shooting larger than 22 since he was 12. No way I would ever join a club that instituted these rules and I would immediately cancel my membership if my club imposed these rules.

my son has been shooting since he was 10 and he has been shooting larger than 22 since he was 12. No way I would ever join a club that instituted these rules and I would immediately cancel my membership if my club imposed these rules.

I'd probably feel the same way, Deb, if I had a young shooter. That's a good reason to look around for what fits you. I need to figure in travel distance to the club of my choice because of the high gas prices and poor gas mileage of my truck as well as other factors.

I shot my dads AR when I was 5. Seems like Andover might have banned him for life.

Back
Top Bottom