Another poaching incident

I'm not sure if this is the reason or not, but some people have stated that they think it might have to do with deer poachers. If you could hunt coyote at night with a shotgun or larger caliber rifle, deer poachers could just say they're coyote hunting if stopped and questioned, assuming they don't have a carcass in their possession.

Other than that, your guess is as good as mine.

You CAN hunt coyote at night with a shotgun. There are shot size restrictions, but this is the preferred weapon to a .22

I think it was a waste of resources to call out a chopper for a couple of coyote poachers... that said, I have little sympathy for poachers and find all the charges to be warranted. We may not like all the laws, but those of us who play by them shouldn't be disadvantaged by those who do not.
I agree. I think the most poignant charges are no license and trespassing....although I didn't see any charge for the trespass. Probaby because its not posted? From my understanding mass is technically a right to hunt state.....if not posted its legal to hunt....to be charged with trespass the land wpuld need to not be posted.....and the owner would need to tell you to leave and you refuse. Maybe I'm wrong on that one though.

Not a hunter. But on the .22 thing is it because of the noise and time? In a case like this Would someone be poaching for money or just because they do not care to be licensed?
It’s a Mass thing and it’s ridiculous. I hunt up north well into the dark with a nightscope and red light for yotes and use my AR.

What does it cost to keep a helicopter in the air?
The pilots need flight time to maintain their credentials so its not really comparing apples to apples when questions like that are asked to be computed. Used to take Blackhawk hops to travel in the army around base from time to time. Pilots need the air hours......so using them to transport troops now and again for fun/convenience/training was a regular thing.

Apply that here.....if the Air crew is sitting on the ground during an incident like this......chances are they may be flying around for no reason at all later on because the crew needs the hours in the air for their logging of flight time.

Now.....I'm sure someone is going to step in here and assume I'm a jack boot licker or statist. Thats not true. I'm just pointing out facts. I'm sure the officers on the ground could have handled the situation without a helicopter.....but those air crews need to fly regularly to keep their certs.

The pilots need flight time to maintain their credentials so its not really comparing apples to apples when questions like that are asked to be computed. Used to take Blackhawk hops to travel in the army around base from time to time. Pilots need the air hours......so using them to transport troops now and again for fun/convenience/training was a regular thing.

Apply that here.....if the Air crew is sitting on the ground during an incident like this......chances are they may be flying around for no reason at all later on because the crew needs the hours in the air for their logging of flight time.

Now.....I'm sure someone is going to step in here and assume I'm a jack boot licker or statist. Thats not true. I'm just pointing out facts. I'm sure the officers on the ground could have handled the situation without a helicopter.....but those air crews need to fly regularly to keep their certs.
Good point.

These MSP pilots were prolly dying to find a reason to take to the air . . . cuz law enforcement and authoritay . . . drooling over the idea . . .

This ones got me curious....
1) did the guy actually see a live deer, stop and shoot it from the side of the road?
2) Or did the guy come across a wondered deer that was hit by a car and decided to do the ethical thing?
You'd think the cops would understand if it was #2, but this is MA after all.

Not just MA, but Martha's Vineyard no less!

I agree. I think the most poignant charges are no license and trespassing....although I didn't see any charge for the trespass. Probaby because its not posted? From my understanding mass is technically a right to hunt state.....if not posted its legal to hunt....to be charged with trespass the land wpuld need to not be posted.....and the owner would need to tell you to leave and you refuse. Maybe I'm wrong on that one though.
In some Mass towns you need landowner's permission. Jack.

In some Mass towns you need landowner's permission. Jack.

To elaborate...some towns require Landowner's Permission....some require Written Landowner Permission. In HE, we encourage everyone to get the permission, when required, and even when just asked for as a polite thing to do, to get it in writing, so if John Law responds to Man With A Gun, your host does not have to be awakened at 0-dark-30 by a call or door knock to check to see if it's OK for you to be there.

Check the local ordinances of the town you'll be hunting, and, if you're near a town line, that one, too. For instance, if you shoot a deer in town A, and it trots over the town line, and there's no hunting, CALL the EPOs before proceeding.

This ones got me curious....
1) did the guy actually see a live deer, stop and shoot it from the side of the road?
2) Or did the guy come across a wondered deer that was hit by a car and decided to do the ethical thing?
You'd think the cops would understand if it was #2, but this is MA after all.

My guess would be #1

Note that they seized his LTC. I wonder if they have showed up at his door to collect the rest of his firearms yet?

Bob

so i am going to start coyote hunting, you can be walking around a rifle''unloaded'' before the 1/2 and be fine to set up etc and then load rifle 1/2 prior and be good?

I'd probably just put a .22 backpacker in the backpack locked with mags in my pocket and a 556 rifle in the hand, can hunt both with nods or just daylight

so i am going to start coyote hunting, you can be walking around a rifle''unloaded'' before the 1/2 and be fine to set up etc and then load rifle 1/2 prior and be good?

I'd probably just put a .22 backpacker in the backpack locked with mags in my pocket and a 556 rifle in the hand, can hunt both with nods or just daylight
Not loading a gun prior to legal hours and unloading after legal hours is always standard procedure for hunters.

Not loading a gun prior to legal hours and unloading after legal hours is always standard procedure for hunters.

I know but walking around with a rifle''unloaded'' shouldn't cause any issues correctm there's not a lot of foot traffic there to begin with and I can also hunt on the range property

Give him jail time but also kudos for a lot of creative thinking. Driveway sensor - BRILLIANT!

Agayheaddah?? Hope he pissed on the deer first.

Not just MA, but Martha's Vineyard no less!

IIRC, #2 for Lyme disease cases per capita is MV. #1 is Nantucket. Both because the bunny-huggers don't want the pretty deer shooted. "Awww, they're so pretty eating my $50 hosta. You can't kill that. . . what is this ache and terrible feeling I've got???"

Back
Top Bottom