• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Another scam to watch for.....pretty bold and seems to be working too

I got some emails on my work email from my "boss" requesting that I immediately go purchase some gift cards for potential clients. He wanted my cell number, but I gave him the number for the FBI's Boston field office. I wonder if he ever called...

Been getting called by the "Social Security Investigative Bureau" off and on for a few years.

For those so inclined, I would recommend keeping the thieves on the call for as long as possible. Feed them just enough information for them to continue the conversation. My personal best is 47 minutes before they cut bait. Dude was really not happy with me. :)

Not only is it incredibly entertaining, it also represents an opportunity cost to them. If they're on the phone with you, that means they're not on the phone with your elderly parents who would be taking it hook, line, and sinker.

Food for thought.

been going on for awhile

Company I used to work for had a location scammed at 10PM by someone claiming to be the VP of Operations that told them there was an “ongoing investigation” and they needed to empty all the cash for the safe and go to Meijers (Michigan Walmart) buy a bunch of 3rd party gift cards, read off the numbers to him and then shred the cards.

Best part was the following day when the VP was listening to his voicemails and had one from the store manager who actually followed through with the scammers demands. He called him to find out if he did everything correctly because he was afraid of losing his job.

$15k poof gone!

Store manager lost his job.

For those so inclined, I would recommend keeping the thieves on the call for as long as possible. Feed them just enough information for them to continue the conversation. My personal best is 47 minutes before they cut bait. Dude was really not happy with me.

If you get someone with a south Asian (e.g. Indian) accent, a good one is to ask if their mother knows what they do for a living. Apparently the idea that their mother knows they're working for a scam outfit and would be ashamed of them is a real berzerk button.

Another scam call I get a lot is someone leaving a voicemail message in Mandarin. This is aimed at (of course) Chinese people living in the US, or Chinese-Americans. The caller represents themselves as calling from the Chinese embassy, often spoofing the number of said embassy on Caller ID, and says that a relative is in trouble back in China and has been arrested, and money needs to be sent to pay bail or fines, or to bribe an official to release him. Or that you have a package or a document at the Chinese embassy relating to your status in the United States and money needs to be paid for processing it.

View: https://www.npr.org/2018/05/10/609117134/chinese-robocalls-bombarding-the-u-s-are-part-of-an-international-phone-scam

Back
Top Bottom