• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Another way to practice without dry fireing...

C-pher said:
derek said:
If you're at work, then that would be the only way to practice and still it would be beneficial.

I think that it also said that if you can put 5-10 pounds in your hand when doing this, it will help with your shoulders with the weight. Kind of like the weights baseball players put on their bats before they go to the plate.

Jim Clark Sr. who was, if memory serves, a world class bullseye shooter, used to just hold his arm out in the shooting position with any kind of weight - a camera, binoculars, stuff like that - hanging from his wrist by a strap.

I know in regular weight training, there's a difference between doing a LOT of reps with a light weight and doing a few reps with a HEAVY weight. Therefor, you MAY be better off holding a lighter weight for a longer time than holding something as heavy as a ten pound weight for a shorter time. I dunno.

C-pher said:
DAMN, I'm going to have to find this article. I really would like you guys to disect it.

And Weer'd, being in my Cube when I'm on the phone, no one sees me...as well as the group that I work with all know that I shoot and don't seem to care. Several I've even been shooting with...

There's a gadget I used to have - it disappeared during my last move - called a GRIPMASTER. It was great for this. It let you exercise individual fingers. You could squeeze down with the rest of your hand and be able to work the trigger finger by itself. Here's a reference to it I found via web search:

http://www.megafitness.com/gripmaster-tuff-fist-mar0006.html

Regards
John

C-pher said:
derek said:
If you're at work, then that would be the only way to practice and still it would be beneficial.

I think that it also said that if you can put 5-10 pounds in your hand when doing this, it will help with your shoulders with the weight. Kind of like the weights baseball players put on their bats before they go to the plate.

Jim Clark Sr. who was, if memory serves, a world class bullseye shooter, used to just hold his arm out in the shooting position with any kind of weight - a camera, binoculars, stuff like that - hanging from his wrist by a strap.

I know in regular weight training, there's a difference between doing a LOT of reps with a light weight and doing a few reps with a HEAVY weight. Therefor, you MAY be better off holding a lighter weight for a longer time than holding something as heavy as a ten pound weight for a shorter time. I dunno.

C-pher said:
DAMN, I'm going to have to find this article. I really would like you guys to disect it.

And Weer'd, being in my Cube when I'm on the phone, no one sees me...as well as the group that I work with all know that I shoot and don't seem to care. Several I've even been shooting with...

There's a gadget I used to have - it disappeared during my last move - called a GRIPMASTER. It was great for this. It let you exercise individual fingers. You could squeeze down with the rest of your hand and be able to work the trigger finger by itself. Here's a reference to it I found via web search:

Regards
John

C-pher said:
derek said:

C-pher said:

Regards
John

I used a 2 pound weight and then built up from there. Just hold it in your hand and raise your arm. Hold it for a count of 5 and then lower, keep repeating for however many times you want (or can handle depending on the weight). It's a great way to build up the muscles to keep from getting the shakes. It's also something than can be done in an office...unless of course your work involves alot of keyboard work. :D

I used a 2 pound weight and then built up from there. Just hold it in your hand and raise your arm. Hold it for a count of 5 and then lower, keep repeating for however many times you want (or can handle depending on the weight). It's a great way to build up the muscles to keep from getting the shakes. It's also something than can be done in an office...unless of course your work involves alot of keyboard work. :D

I don't suppose doing this would hurt anything but I'm not sure how much it will actually help. The main objective with dry fire practice is to get a perfect sight picture. You want to pick a target get the sights on that target as quick as possible and release the hammer. You should be able to do this while watching the front sight and making sure it doesn't drop. Sight alignment and trigger control are 2 very important fundamentals in shooting and dry fire can help train in both of these. If you are working on target transitions during dry fire you can release the trigger on the first target then transition to the next and just press the trigger as you normally would knowing that the hammer has already been dropped.

Practicing with the air gun is prob. good to get proper form and could def. help keep a steadier hand. But, if it keeps you motivated to keep shooting then that is the ultimate goal and in this case is the best practice you can be doing.

Good luck and thanks for the training tip.

Pete

I don't suppose doing this would hurt anything but I'm not sure how much it will actually help. The main objective with dry fire practice is to get a perfect sight picture. You want to pick a target get the sights on that target as quick as possible and release the hammer. You should be able to do this while watching the front sight and making sure it doesn't drop. Sight alignment and trigger control are 2 very important fundamentals in shooting and dry fire can help train in both of these. If you are working on target transitions during dry fire you can release the trigger on the first target then transition to the next and just press the trigger as you normally would knowing that the hammer has already been dropped.

Practicing with the air gun is prob. good to get proper form and could def. help keep a steadier hand. But, if it keeps you motivated to keep shooting then that is the ultimate goal and in this case is the best practice you can be doing.

Pete

Pete

[quote="Optimistic Paranoid]There's a gadget I used to have - it disappeared during my last move - called a GRIPMASTER. It was great for this. It let you exercise individual fingers. You could squeeze down with the rest of your hand and be able to work the trigger finger by itself. Here's a reference to it I found via web search:

Regards
John[/quote]

We saw this device for 1/2 that price at Ted Oven's Northeast Trading when we visited there on 12/19 (field trip). I bought one for ~$10 from the late dealer down in Medway/Medfield area some time ago.

Like John, when we had our house totally redone it went into a Rubbermaid tub and hasn't been seen since! [cry]

[quote="Optimistic Paranoid]There's a gadget I used to have - it disappeared during my last move - called a GRIPMASTER. It was great for this. It let you exercise individual fingers. You could squeeze down with the rest of your hand and be able to work the trigger finger by itself. Here's a reference to it I found via web search:

Regards
John[/quote]

We saw this device for 1/2 that price at Ted Oven's Northeast Trading when we visited there on 12/19 (field trip). I bought one for ~$10 from the late dealer down in Medway/Medfield area some time ago.

Like John, when we had our house totally redone it went into a Rubbermaid tub and hasn't been seen since! [cry]

Regards
John[/quote]

PistolPete said:
I don't suppose doing this would hurt anything but I'm not sure how much it will actually help. The main objective with dry fire practice is to get a perfect sight picture. You want to pick a target get the sights on that target as quick as possible and release the hammer.
Pete

The device that John mentioned . . . the one I picked up had a snap-on piece that served as a front & rear sight for just that purpose. Damn I got to find that thing!

PistolPete said:
I don't suppose doing this would hurt anything but I'm not sure how much it will actually help. The main objective with dry fire practice is to get a perfect sight picture. You want to pick a target get the sights on that target as quick as possible and release the hammer.
Pete

The device that John mentioned . . . the one I picked up had a snap-on piece that served as a front & rear sight for just that purpose. Damn I got to find that thing!

PistolPete said:
Pete

PistolPete said:
I don't suppose doing this would hurt anything but I'm not sure how much it will actually help. The main objective with dry fire practice is to get a perfect sight picture. You want to pick a target get the sights on that target as quick as possible and release the hammer. You should be able to do this while watching the front sight and making sure it doesn't drop. Sight alignment and trigger control are 2 very important fundamentals in shooting and dry fire can help train in both of these.

Yea, this is why I kept the article.

But I think that the main point of this exersice was to work on "Milking." At least that's what's standing out in my mind.

I'm starting to think that compairing it to dry fireing might have been the wrong thing to do as it seems that this addressess a different issue.

I did find something close to what I was speaking of in this article by Massad Ayoob . But it's only partically going over what I had read some time ago.

And it could be that I read something and complely misinterpreted what I read.

PistolPete said:
I don't suppose doing this would hurt anything but I'm not sure how much it will actually help. The main objective with dry fire practice is to get a perfect sight picture. You want to pick a target get the sights on that target as quick as possible and release the hammer. You should be able to do this while watching the front sight and making sure it doesn't drop. Sight alignment and trigger control are 2 very important fundamentals in shooting and dry fire can help train in both of these.

But I think that the main point of this exersice was to work on "Milking." At least that's what's standing out in my mind.

I'm starting to think that compairing it to dry fireing might have been the wrong thing to do as it seems that this addressess a different issue.

I did find something close to what I was speaking of in this article by Massad Ayoob . But it's only partically going over what I had read some time ago.

PistolPete said:

Training techniques

Speaking of "milking"

've read of using a plastic milk carton to strengthen you arm and grip. It has a handle for gripping. You can fill it with more and more water as your arm and grip get stronger.

I used to raise it, hold, sight over the top, then drop it.

The price is right!

Training techniques

Speaking of "milking"

've read of using a plastic milk carton to strengthen you arm and grip. It has a handle for gripping. You can fill it with more and more water as your arm and grip get stronger.

The price is right!

Training techniques

Speaking of "milking"

The price is right!

Re: Training techniques

utility said:
Speaking of "milking"

The price is right!

I heard someone who shoots bow say the same thing. Another good one for building up the muscles.

utility said:
Speaking of "milking"

The price is right!

I heard someone who shoots bow say the same thing. Another good one for building up the muscles.

utility said:
Speaking of "milking"

The price is right!

C-pher

You are right on and the technique works. The object in firing a gun in to move ONLY your trigger finger. The way that I do it is slightly different.

With you hand relaxed bend your thumb down at the first joint. your thumb is the trigger of your imaginary gun. Now place your trigger finger on the tigger (Your thumb for those of you that are not paying attention) and press the trigger without moving any of the other fingers. There is no need to go real fast.
This is real simple and can be done almost anywhere at no cost.

There is a lot of chatter about things like the gripmaster. My question is why would anyone want one? We are trying to fire a gun not choke it to death. I often demonstrate firing a 1911 holding it with only the web of my thumb and my trigger finger. If you hold a gun in a death grip, your fine motor skills will be degraded. Remember that your trigger finger movement is a fine motor skill.
Just my two cents worth

Back
Top Bottom