Anti-Glock Guy Buys A Glock

I joined the flock recently too. I'd shot glocks before but was "meh" about them. Had a few S&W's but wanted more mag capacity. Picked up a gen4 g19 and I'm honestly impressed. The fact that you can break the whole gun down with one single tool is awesome. So far I like it, with some exceptions: the gen4 grips were pretty rough on my side when carrying. I don't like wearing undershirts, so I put some talon rubber grips on it. Problem solved. The other issue I had was with the trigger, the ribbed G19 trigger shoe was beating up my trigger finger so I got a smooth G17 trigger to replace it. Added a Truglo TFO front sight and a blank rear and it's good to go.

All good points to consider. I always like wearing an undershirt when carrying. I'll have to post a range report on the trigger when it gets here.

+1 on the G19. My carry gun

One nice thing about joining the Glock community...so many damn accessories. Already ordered an OWB Blackhawk retention holster and mag holder. Now I'm looking into extra magazines. Do I want to stay with standard magazines, or are the Magpul polymer any good? I've never used polymer for handguns before.

Now the fun really begins! An extended magazine release, 3.5 trigger, extended slide release, night sights, laser max, extra magazines, and
LOTS if ammo. Or you could just leave it stock!
LOL,
ggboy

What is it about the G19 that makes it such a popular carry gun, as opposed to any other compact?

It has the right size : capacity ratio. There isn't another handgun on the market that holds 15+1 of 9mm that is as size and weight efficient as a G19 is. I think the Sig P320 might come close but that's about it. Even if the P320 is close its probably heavier. Everything else is either too wide up top or dumb for some other reason.

-Mike

playing catch them all

Mike,

Yeh i played Pokemon with glocks, ive had 3x 26's, 4x 19's, 2x 17's, 2x30sf's 2 21sf's, and a 42.. now down to 3 19's, 1 26, and 1 21...and a 42.. but honestly .. the 19's are the best.

Though i will admit i am still sour at selling that second 21... but i got a freaking Scar 17 in its place so im happy

I've owned plenty of Glocks and I have sold almost all of them.

Wife knows what to do with the others, but she understands that my 19 will be buried with me.

[laugh] I used to hate Glocks just on general principle. Then I tried one, bought one, and sold my 1911. Now my carry, home-defense, and IDPA gun is a gen2 G19. Next I want a G20!

Got my G19 gen 4 a few months ago, after the initial break in period the first day and figured out the sights. Have about 8k rounds through it, no issues at all, I've even cleaned it a couple of times.

Huge Glock fanboy and G17 and G19 owner here, I sold my 21 and have no regrets, the 17 is my HD gun and Depending on clothing/weather I alternate between my 19 and Shield for carry. Today I will be picking up my 19 after getting the frame cerakoated by Steve at NEA.

Last edited:
Hogwash... skip the 34, and all the other models , you only need 2 glocks, 19, and 21... i could live with those two handguns and be perfectly content.

I seriously doubt that...

;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got my G19 gen 4 a few months ago, after the initial break in period the first day and figured out the sights. Have about 8k rounds through it, no issues at all, I've even cleaned it a couple of times.

Whoa dude, slow down on all that cleaning, you'll wear it out.

Did you dump the stock sights yet?

Ameriglo Spartan for carry,
Sevigny / Dawson / Taran Tactical for competition.

I have a sight tool if you need it.

-Cuz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been wanting to get the 50gi slide and a 460 Rowland setup for my 21sf but I'll probably never get them unless I find a place for brass and bullets .

I hope if you ever build that out you intend to kill bowling pins with it, otherwise the whole thing is kinda pointless. [laugh] .460 Rowland was that holy grail round that we all wanted for pins. Don't even think about skipping the compensator, either, you'll need it.

-Mike

[laugh] I used to hate Glocks just on general principle. Then I tried one, bought one, and sold my 1911. Now my carry, home-defense, and IDPA gun is a gen2 G19. Next I want a G20!

I drank the Glock and 10mm kool-aid all at once and bought a Gen4 29 and later a G40. Sold the 29, still have the 40 and it is glorious. Grab yourself a 20 and enjoy your new favorite caliber.

I am with ya glock is ugly as hell but it does work and not to much to them got rid of my 19 bought a g34 gen 4 for the range just a 17 longer barrel and sights . love it . good luck with you're purchase. and enjoy

I had a G27 prior to the "List" never liked it, sold it for a J-Frame and stayed away from Gocks for many-many years. I'd turn my nose up at them. Now I have a bunch. And shoot a G17 as my IDPA gun. Hate to admit it, but I came full circle. I still like my other brands better for fit, finish and looks. But a Glock just works, and not too pricey. I switch between a G42 and G43 for carry. And as others said above, if you just get one, A G19 is the one... My .02

Had to resurrect this because I encountered the exact same situation these past few weeks. Was looking for a decent small affordable carry gun and one review led to the other led to the other.......I was eventually bit by the glock bug. After shooting a few different ones back when I was looking for my first gun, I was never thrilled with the idea of a polymer framed striker fired gun. Admittedly I am somewhat of a sig fan but the glock still had a certain appeal and the overwhelming positive reviews could not be ignored. Plus, it was substantially cheaper than purchasing another sig of similar capacity, less "fat" at the grip (think P224), and much lighter. As Leo would say, "you had my curiosity but now you have my attention."

Result: a brand new G26 gen 4. I have to say, not surprisingly, I was super impressed after putting about 100 rounds or so through it. For such a small pistol, the little bastard shot great! Unlike many people, I actually really like the way it looks and the little brick fit my hand like a glove. Also, contrary to many complaints, tucking my pinkey underneath did not bother me all that much so I only added +0 grip extensions or GAP floorplates to my extra range mags. I was skeptical about the polymer frame but now I know why that was foolish. Overall, nice solid gun, well made, shoots like a champ (or like a chump when I inevitably mess it up [smile]), just couldn't ask for more out of a sub $600 carry pistol.

Now the bad:

1) I absolutely hate the design for the takedown. I know I will warm up to it in time but it is so annoying holding back the slide with one hand while the other hand fumbles with the two stupid microscopic takedown buttons. Not a huge deal but irritating compared to the takedown on a sig.

2) I curse the name of whoever came up with the genius idea of making the floorplates so damn hard to take off. The foul words I hurled taking them off those 3 mags should never be repeated. WTF Glock??? It came to the point where I got so pissed that I didn't care if I broke them. I literally stepped on the mag, held it down with my foot, and pulled up on the inserted punch until it either broke the floorplate or clicked open (yes, I was wearing eye protection). Thankfully it clicked open every time and the rest went smoothly. Yes, I tried applying pressure on both sides, pliers, etc but the only thing that worked was accepting the risk of destroying the floorplate. I'm sure its just that bad the first time but stupid design nonetheless, should not be that difficult.

3) I assume this is more bad handling on my part and should resolve quickly but keeping my finger straight on the frame (aka off the trigger position) feels a little funny. I sometimes find my finger awkwardly floating straight ahead. Its never really near the trigger but sometimes gets suspended away from the frame. Maybe has something to do with the trigger guard being way bigger than the one on my sig? Who knows, kind of strange but definitely something I want to work on.

Unfortunately, given my experience, I doubt this is the last glock I ever buy [sad2] screw you glock for sucking me in. I was sure I would live out the rest of my life rolling my eyes at everyone who praised your products!

Last edited:
It's possible to love them all: Sig, Glock, HK, .... Ask me how I know. [wink]

Floor plate removal: There's a bunch of advice and videos. Skip all that and use this:

redpinkgtul.jpg

http://www.mygtul.com/catalog/gtul-products-0

Now the bad:

1) I absolutely hate the design for the takedown. I know I will warm up to it in time but it is so annoying holding back the slide with one hand while the other hand fumbles with the two stupid microscopic takedown buttons. Not a huge deal but irritating compared to the takedown on a sig.

Try this with a Sig ->

Haha, well, I'm not that fast, but I've found hold it upside down, pointing away from, you with backstrap in thumb web. Then grip a bit and pull slide towards thumb (one handed). Now either with same hand or other hand push down on tabs and release pressure and it should just come apart. It's actually quite easy, once I found a method (there are lots of others).

Last edited by a moderator:
On the mags, make sure you're pushing the spring base plate way up. I take a small phillips screw driver about 2.5-3" long and force it all the way in. Then they release easy because it flips up the spring floor plate out of the way. If you don't push it way up you're just trying to squeeze the spring floor plate which won't work.

Yesterday I finally got the chance to shoot a Glock(22 .40 cal)
there was a real nice guy at the range yesterday with a bunch of Glocks and a Ruger MKIII(maybe my next .22)
and we shot his Glock and My FS M&P .40 to compare them.
I am somewhat of a S&W fanboy as they just "feel" right to me.
The M&P was noticeably heavier. He shot both of them really well (I had Greg Derr do the triggers on both of my M&P's)
and he really liked my .40
I did not shoot his as well as mine, the Glock trigger felt very different to me and the gun just felt .....well "different"
I really liked the shape of the grip on it though and I may have to go rent a G26/27 and spend some time with it.
I've been kind of on the fence lately with selling both my FS .40 and getting an M&P 9C but a G26 is now also a contender.
I honestly still do not see what all the hoopla is about these things. It's like Gibson Les Paul owners in the guitar world.
It was a nice gun but nothing about it made me go "OMGZZZ" this is amazing LOL!
I may say that with the G26 though (I'm thinking 9 over .40 because my wife is now shooting as well and she hates the kick of my FS .40, a compact .40
will not work for her. She can handle my Shield 9 fairly well.

Back
Top Bottom