Any 07/02s in MA that would be willing to SBR a mosin to a obrez?

duza9999

NES Member
Good evening all, I just bought already bubaed mosin, and would like it turned into a sbr obrez. I know we have a bunch of 07’s here, so I’m trying to see the hive’s recommendations on someone able to take on such project.
Thanks

Last edited:
XSuVW.jpg

Can I lawfully make a rifle into a pistol without registering that firearm?​

No. A firearm that was originally a rifle would be classified as a “weapon made from a rifle” if it has either a barrel less than 16 inches in length or an overall length of less than 26 inches. If an individual wishes to make an NFA firearm, they must first submit ATF Form 1 (Application to Make and Register a Firearm), pay a $200.00 making tax, and receive approval of the application from ATF before converting the firearm.
[18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(3); 26 U.S.C. § 5845(a)(3)-(4)]

Can I lawfully make a rifle into a pistol without registering that firearm? | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

Seems like an awesome video game gun. But I don’t get the attraction in real life.

Attachments

• B8821ED2-2162-485A-BBEE-FBE196C78986.jpeg
    B8821ED2-2162-485A-BBEE-FBE196C78986.jpeg
    365.4 KB · Views: 68
  • C114BA64-EAE9-4646-9E67-B9EDE5394900.jpeg
    C114BA64-EAE9-4646-9E67-B9EDE5394900.jpeg
    224.8 KB · Views: 68
  • 444B87FE-1958-498D-80BE-011BEBC76B51.jpeg
    444B87FE-1958-498D-80BE-011BEBC76B51.jpeg
    360.5 KB · Views: 69
ATF Form 1 (and accompanying wait for approval), a hacksaw, a corded drill, a 1/2" or 3/4" hardened steel cap nut and bolt, and some valve grinding compound.

That is all you need to make an obrez from your moist nugget.

You can pay to have the engraving done, or do it yourself easily enough.

NFA trust might be something to look in to...

ATF Form 1 (and accompanying wait for approval), a hacksaw, a corded drill, a 1/2" or 3/4" hardened steel cap nut and bolt, and some valve grinding compound.

That is all you need to make an obrez from your moist nugget.

You can pay to have the engraving done, or do it yourself easily enough.

NFA trust might be something to look in to...
True, but I’m a SOT and if it transfers on a form 3 it would take 10 days instead of 30. Plus it would be a tax exempt transfer.

Can this be done with an sks

I don’t see why not for. If you live in a state that allows nfa, it would be a eform 1.

I feel like I’d get death threats if I even teased about doing this to my k98k 😂

Alot more logistics to cutting an sks though with the workings. And do not cut that gun

An SKS uses a short-stroke gas piston to work. You could only cut the barrel down to the gas block, somewhat similar to the "B*tch" SLR from Australia or (factory-made) Suchka AKS-74Us.

1627267132355.png
1627267167531.png

There would be the possibility of creating an adjustable gas block or a shorter gas piston system, but that's not what the Obrez was for. The Obrez was basically an assassination tool and ersatz handgun during the Russian Civil War and later by partisans during WW2 and the times thereafter, e.g. by the Forest Brothers against the Soviets, Cursed Soldiers in Poland, etc.

An SKS uses a short-stroke gas piston to work. You could only cut the barrel down to the gas block, somewhat similar to the "B*tch" SLR from Australia or (factory-made) Suchka AKS-74Us.

View attachment 505748
View attachment 505749

There would be the possibility of creating an adjustable gas block or a shorter gas piston system, but that's not what the Obrez was for. The Obrez was basically an assassination tool and ersatz handgun during the Russian Civil War and later by partisans during WW2 and the times thereafter, e.g. in combat by the Forest Brothers against the Soviets, Cursed Soldiers in Poland, etc.
Thanks. Yeah that thing us butt ugly. Ill try it with a Mosin. No sks needs to go through that.

Edit saw the last picture. That's not bad.

Thanks. Yeah that thing us butt ugly. Ill try it with a Mosin. No sks needs to go through that.

Edit saw the last picture. That's not bad.

The AKS-74U is a factory version of the AK-74, so obviously Izhevsk wasn't hacking things down in a shed. But, point is, you can only cut a gun with a gas system down until you reach slightly before the gas block.

True, but I’m a SOT and if it transfers on a form 3 it would take 10 days instead of 30. Plus it would be a tax exempt transfer.

Right but if it's someone else's FFL you are still dealing with a wait and expenses, not to mention the cost of the work. Are you a new FFL by chance? 07, SOT right?

If you are bent on an obrez built from that rifle, why not simply "remanufacture" it to change the AFMER status from rifle to pistol, and mark the receiver and your AFMER form accordingly. Then it could be kept in your inventory as a pistol, or potentially have the frame transferred to you personally through your FFL or another?

Zero wait going that route, just a little engraving.

Happy to walk you through cutting and recrowning the barrel the easy/tooling-free way (especially since obrez lengths do not tend to stabilize 7.62x54 so it doesn't need to be a nice crown) as well as dealing with the paperwork.

Right but if it's someone else's FFL you are still dealing with a wait and expenses, not to mention the cost of the work. Are you a new FFL by chance? 07, SOT right?

If you are bent on an obrez built from that rifle, why not simply "remanufacture" it to change the AFMER status from rifle to pistol, and mark the receiver and your AFMER form accordingly. Then it could be kept in your inventory as a pistol, or potentially have the frame transferred to you personally through your FFL or another?

Zero wait going that route, just a little engraving.

Happy to walk you through cutting and recrowning the barrel the easy/tooling-free way (especially since obrez lengths do not tend to stabilize 7.62x54 so it doesn't need to be a nice crown) as well as dealing with the paperwork.
I am a 08 importer with SOT, not a 07 manufacturer. I can cut a barrel with a hacksaw but I don’t have any skill in torching a receiver, and rewelding to change it from a rifle to a pistol.

Back
Top Bottom