Any love for the Bodyguard? Let's see some photos.

This is one of my options when carrying at the office.....View attachment 178967 Back pocket as a wallet carry. Inside sport coat pocket. No issues at all shooting. I even put it in a portfolio at meetings....No issues when shooting at the range.
That's a nice option but what I've heard from several people is those are illegal in MA. Something about being illegal to disguise a firearms into something it's not. Like a wallet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an M&P Bodyguard with no laser. At first I had a few light strike issues with certain range ammo (never with personal defense). After weeding out the range ammo it didnt like, the gun has been 100% reliable. Whether this was just the break in period others experienced, or cheap ammo, or a combination of both, im not sure. I had Pullman Arms do the BodMod upgrade on mine to take some of the edges off the slide. It adds better looks and better profile for pocket carry. I hated the factory sights and added some cheap fiber sights and it made a world of difference. Its my go to when Im wearing dress clothes that don't allow for a G19 or G26.

I have the bodyguard with the laser. I had a problem with the screw from the laser battery cover backing out and preventing the slide from operating. Sent it back to S&W and they fixed it, but I just removed the battery cover and battery to be sure it wouldn't happen again.
I would suggest getting it without the laser.
I carry it in my front pocket in a Sticky holster. I had others but the sticky is the only one that always stays in my pocket when drawing.

Based on the level of failures ive seen with these guns I'd never carry one.... QC is horrendous. (much like the three mile long trigger pull. ) Wouldn't be a bad gun if the MSRP was like $150. Course there are guys here with pairs of them with no trouble. "your mileage may vary".

Hated 380 BG, so did my gf when we shot it at MFS. Could be due to it being a range rental gun, but it was terrible to say the least.
Harder recoil than any 9mm I own, accuracy is meh at best and slide doesn't always lock back. It's extremely light, actually too lighr for my liking. But the size is great, compact yet I can get a good hold on it.

I'll get something else that works well for me out of the box.

I have one and the only plus is that you will never pull the trigger by accident. I carried it until the day someone let me shoot a Sig p238. I have not carried or shot is since. Mine is an early one and has light strikes with some ammo, I had trouble with the Laser battery cover and it just is not comfortable in my hand. The 238 is almost identical size wise and I have a lot of rounds through it with no issues.

Based on the level of failures ive seen with these guns I'd never carry one.... QC is horrendous. (much like the three mile long trigger pull. ) Wouldn't be a bad gun if the MSRP was like $150. Course there are guys here with pairs of them with no trouble. "your mileage may vary".

Opinions will vary with any gun that is suggested....Always pointless to bring the subject up on NES....If a gun is bad, a gun is bad. Why would you buy it Regardless of the price point.

- - - Updated - - -

That's a nice option but what I've heard from several people is those are illegal in MA. Something about being illegal to disguise a firearms into something it's not. Like a wallet.

Someone is smoking in there Tee Pee again. [rofl]

1) Left Profile, shows the Galloway trigger and kit.
2) Right Profile, shows the Talon Grips
3) Williams Fire Sights
4) Bodyguard EDC, including Ted Cory Kydex Holster, Pocket Holster and A NeoMag (magazine clip)
5) A dime resting on top to show how thin it is.
6) The Bodyguard, Shield9 and M&P9 showing width comparison.

A review I did on the bodyguard along with an update (post #25)

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/249607-New-S-amp-W-M-amp-P-Bodyguard-Range-Review

View attachment 178973 View attachment 178974 View attachment 178975 View attachment 178981 View attachment 178976 View attachment 178977

I like the fact that law enforcement is adopting these for a bug. I've read that they disable the laser. I wonder why? S&W came out with the M&M sand laser for that reason I think. Thanks for the videos. I guess they can hit the broad side of a barn.

I just read you thread on your review. Nice write up. I think at some point I will upgrade to the Galloway trigger, but for now I'm just going to give it some range time. I may also pick up one of those rubber sleeves for the grip. It's like 80 grit sandpaper.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see that the OP has the newest version with no safety.
Mine has been flawless with 1,020 rounds so far. It has a long double action trigger pull ,but with practice,I can hit dead center on the target round after round. Keep in mind this gun is a close range concealable backup , thats why I shoot it at about 15 yards max. Do not buy this gun thinking it is range gun. It is NOT! It is a keep in your pocket, lightweight, thin, pocket pistol for emergency use only! for the money,I think it is worth it. I paid about $350 ,think you can buy them now in the $250 range?
Do I love the bodyguard...No but I Like it alot for what it is and I carry it in a desantis nemesis .

add the mag guts to gain an extra round. still wish there was a trigger kit to bring down the 10lb pull to at least 5. would help with accuracy for sure.

I like the fact that law enforcement is adopting these for a bug. I've read that they disable the laser. I wonder why? S&W came out with the M&M sand laser for that reason I think. Thanks for the videos. I guess they can hit the broad side of a barn.

I just read you thread on your review. Nice write up. I think at some point I will upgrade to the Galloway trigger, but for now I'm just going to give it some range time. I may also pick up one of those rubber sleeves for the grip. It's like 80 grit sandpaper.

Just as an FYI, I was originally planning to order the Galloway stuff for mine, but decided to leave it alone and just practice with it to be able to hit what I aim at. This is because I have read several articles in the past mentioning light strike issues with the Galloway parts, and since they only shorten the pull anyway, I didn't feel it was worth the risk to make a perfectly reliable gun NOT reliable. If it was for a range/target gun, I wouldn't care, but for a carry gun, I personally won't mess with it. The rubber Talon grips are worth every penny though! I used to use the BG as my main summer carry, but these days, I prefer the LC9s Pro model (no safety). I will never sell the BG though, as I keep that for occasions when I can't ordinarily carry such as dress clothes, deep concealment, etc. I picked up a Remora ankle holster for dress clothes, and it works great. I have a pocket holster as well, but I don't like pocket carry personally.

Good advice Terminator, thanks. I don't plan on doing the trigger right away. I may not even do it at all. I like the magazine upgrade for sure, but dry firing it, I don't think it's bad. I just picked up a Blackhawk #2 at BASSPRO for the time being. It covers the trigger guard which I like. I just bout a Galco Summer Comfort for my 642 and it is very comfortable. I will probably get one for the BG also. After some range time of course.

Good advice Terminator, thanks. I don't plan on doing the trigger right away. I may not even do it at all. I like the magazine upgrade for sure, but dry firing it, I don't think it's bad. I just picked up a Blackhawk #2 at BASSPRO for the time being. It covers the trigger guard which I like. I just bout a Galco Summer Comfort for my 642 and it is very comfortable. I will probably get one for the BG also. After some range time of course.

Yeah, I did really like the look of the Galloway trigger, but the kit does nothing to actually lighten the trigger weight, even though you end up with a lighter hammer spring, so I don't think that's a great idea, especially when there have been reports of light strikes even with the stock configuration when using certain ammunition. I forgot to mention that this is actually my second BG. My first was the original laser model, and as others mentioned it's kind of useless anyway. I traded that on another gun when I was short on cash, but regretted it because there really isn't much available (that's MA compliant), that is so thin, light, and concealable as the BG, and I quickly found that there were definitely situations that justified having it. When S&W came out with the non laser M&P version, I knew that would be the perfect replacement and I literally bought one the same week they became MA compliant. I don't shoot it a ton, mainly because in my area .380 either isn't readily available, or when it is, it costs twice as much as 9mm. I do run a couple of mags through it from time to time just to stay practiced with it.

Yeah, I did really like the look of the Galloway trigger, but the kit does nothing to actually lighten the trigger weight, even though you end up with a lighter hammer spring, so I don't think that's a great idea, especially when there have been reports of light strikes even with the stock configuration when using certain ammunition. I forgot to mention that this is actually my second BG. My first was the original laser model, and as others mentioned it's kind of useless anyway. I traded that on another gun when I was short on cash, but regretted it because there really isn't much available (that's MA compliant), that is so thin, light, and concealable as the BG, and I quickly found that there were definitely situations that justified having it. When S&W came out with the non laser M&P version, I knew that would be the perfect replacement and I literally bought one the same week they became MA compliant. I don't shoot it a ton, mainly because in my area .380 either isn't readily available, or when it is, it costs twice as much as 9mm. I do run a couple of mags through it from time to time just to stay practiced with it.

It's definitely a looker compared to the one with the laser. I thought I read that the Galloway trigger kit came with a stronger spring for the hammer giving it a stronger strike. I could be wrong. How long has the M&P version ben out? All the holsters I see are made for the laser BG. I would like top pick up a Galco summer Comfort for it at some point. The grip look like it will defoliate the skin on my side though.

I have carried mine this past summer in a DeSantis superfly holster. It works very well for me.View attachment 178988

I picked up a Blackhawk #2 for it. I think I'm going to return it. I tried drawing from it and the rear site snags on the holster. How does it draw with the Desantis? Does it cove the trigger? There's not a lot of holster options for this non laser version.

If your interested I have a brand new Galco TUC634 IWB holster for sale.. bought it for my wife and then she decides she wants OWB.. its posted in the classifieds

I need to sell mine. Need to figure out why it wont fire first, its been a safe queen for years and is very clean but firing pin wont engage? Get a 9mm instead, i love my kahr pm9. The bodyguard is garbage.

Back
Top Bottom