• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Any of you M1 Garand guys have serial # 283898?

Another rabbit whole with the Ma Deuce
Like the M60 the sickness continues

Uh, it wasn't really a post about the M2.

It was a post about how the Army keeps issuing equipment as long as it's within spec.

So he was issued a Garand built in Feb 1940 ?
His service was 1958-1960
Last Garand production was 1957
Don't make sense
Garands were sent back to arsenals for rebuild then reissued many, many times.

So your saying that my Nov 42 could have been in the hands of, Mel Brooks, Tony Bennit, Clint Eastwood or even Jimmy Stewart
Awesome
And the sickness is that smile/euphoria knowing you have 4 mores cans after you have goner thru the first belt

I might have to buy more garlands to better the odds I may have one of these. “But honey, it like a lottery ticket only with slightly better odds“. 😉

I just looked. 650,000 ish so not me. Looks like that makes it June '42 - never looked it up before.

Last edited:
Do they have records that follow a Garand thru its life of service?
I tried to find out what deployment one could find, but no records of Co and individual units was available
So how did they find out....

Do they have records that follow a Garand thru its life of service?
I tried to find out what deployment one could find, but no records of Co and individual units was available
So how did they find out....
Yeah, no. They don’t. Rifles are accounted for and issued at company level.

Individual rifles get allocated to units. They’ll appear on the company arms room inventories of those units, then they’re hand-receipted out to individual soldiers and/or issued on a weapons card. Most rifles are issued to scores of different soldiers who pass through those units over the years. It’s not centrally tracked anywhere. I’m sure there’s a storage requirement for arms room records, but they get shredded periodically.

Elvis would have had 3-4 assigned rifles, at least, during his service. More if he ever changed companies. as far as how this particular weapon’s provenance goes? I have no clue.

That's as far as went as well
The provenance of the bring backs to an individual is all the more special..

They might have his old weapons card somewhere among his own memorabilia. I’ve got a couple lying around somewhere. It’s conceivable that once I become incredibly famous, my heirs will find those cards and somebody might post a thread like this about the M16A2 I was issued in basic training, lol.

Back
Top Bottom