• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Any recent purchases of the bushnell trs-25? Problems?

mtsfitness

NES Member
Doing research for a good affordable optic. I have read mostly great things about the Bushnell trs-25 but there have been a few problematic reviews as of late. Some people have reported issues with the dot fading when its pointed upwards and a red ring appearing. The problem is briefly shown in this youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OTPUhXBK3w...

I cant afford the great Aimpoints or EOtechs... I was considering the Vortex Sparc 2/ Vortex StrikeFire 2, but was starting to give the Bushnell serious thought after hearing so many great things about it, and that it cost less.

Wondering if anyone has recently bought the Bushnell and if they are experiencing any problems? Also, if you could post where you bought it and how much it was that would be helpful...

Thanks,

For the sub $100 red dot your going to have anomalies. The dot maybe more like a star
Or blob . Light going through the lenses at different angles will also tend to have effects on what you see.

I have had several red dots in the "inexpensive" area. The best one is a very early model
Tesco pro point.....it has spent time on top of many guns, dropped lost for a while and holds zero .
It's pushing 20 years old.

I don't know how well they are made today
http://www.tasco.com/products/index.aspx?ClassID=13&FamilyID=163&ProductID=670

It currently sits on top of my 22lr AR for 100 yard plinking.

I bought a used TRS25 for $50 several years ago to stick on my Ruger MKIII target .22. It has held up just fine and holds zero. Making soda cans dance around at 50 yards with that setup is a cinch. I can't comment on any new manufactured units, but I would assume if you get a lemon, you can return it on a warranty claim.

I have one on my AR pistol. In the light is a nice pin dot red dot. In my house, like my primary arms red dot, it's a slight blob, but once I have my rear sight up or goes right to a sharp dot. Ive read that certain people's eyes might have that problem with red dots? Never use an aim pro or eotech so I don't know. Here's a target at 100 yards just having some fun. I didn't know I'd hit the target because the dot covers up the black target that far. I'm surprised and impressed my little AR could do that without a scope. I'm sure others on here could do way better, but I'm still a newbie. 20150702_151642.jpg

I've used the TRS-25 on a number of rifles and it works fine. I guess I don't shoot up so I haven't noticed any problems there. $50 is a good price, by the way. I once got a few at $45 apiece but that required some double coupon code action I think.

I have one on my AR pistol. In the light is a nice pin dot red dot. In my house, like my primary arms red dot, it's a slight blob, but once I have my rear sight up or goes right to a sharp dot. Ive read that certain people's eyes might have that problem with red dots? Never use an aim pro or eotech so I don't know. Here's a target at 100 yards just having some fun. I didn't know I'd hit the target because the dot covers up the black target that far. I'm surprised and impressed my little AR could do that without a scope. I'm sure others on here could do way better, but I'm still a newbie. View attachment 146889

Did what it's intended , shots on target.....now as far as doing better. Get a nice detach A2 sight a fat .072" square front sight post. Get working on your marksmen ship skills and shoot better with irons than your red dot.

I bought one a couple months ago and put it on my AR. No issues so far but I havn't put more than a couple hundred rounds through the rifle using it. I got it on sale for $50 with the high mount block for a 1/3 co-witness from Palmetto. I was planning on getting the Primary Arms sight but at the sale price I figured I could always put it on the 10/22 down the line.

I have a few TRS-25s and a Primary Arms. IMO one is no better than the other. I'm not shooting bullseyes with them so if the dot is a little big or not a perfect circle I can't tell the difference. I have astigmatism in both eyes, so nothing looks like a perfect circle anyway. When I shoulder a rifle and say to myself "Self, hit that there piece of steel over yonder", the dot does me just right.

In summary, buy whichever is cheaper.

Everything I have read says that Bushnell made manufacturing changes to the red dot and that it is not performing well. Most people say that the new ones are having trouble with the battery life and that the red dot disappears in the top section of the glass.

Sucks to hear that they made changes to an optic that had a very good following... Alot of people out the say that their customer service sucks as well.

Doing research for a good affordable optic. I have read mostly great things about the Bushnell trs-25 but there have been a few problematic reviews as of late. Some people have reported issues with the dot fading when its pointed upwards and a red ring appearing. The problem is briefly shown in this youtube video
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OTPUhXBK3w

I cant afford the great Aimpoints or EOtechs... I was considering the Vortex Sparc 2/ Vortex StrikeFire 2, but was starting to give the Bushnell serious thought after hearing so many great things about it, and that it cost less.

Wondering if anyone has recently bought the Bushnell and if they are experiencing any problems? Also, if you could post where you bought it and how much it was that would be helpful...

Thanks,

I bought 2 Bushnell TRS 25's. One for my Ruger pc9. One for my Ruger 10/22. I cannot see the red dot outdoors on sunny days when using it on my 10/22. I can barely see it when using it on my pc9 on sunny weather. I'm very disappointed.

Your eyes may be insensitive to red light. Our eyes lose sensitivity to red light as we get older.
I've got a couple of the Bushnell's and have been generally happy. Though I've recently purchased a different low cost dot optic.
The SIG SAUER Romeo MSR dot sight is only $78 from amazon and has a green dot.
It feels well made and is nice and clear.

Overall, this is my new go-to moderately cheap red/green dot.

For what it's worth, my eyes are pretty insensitive to red light. So this is much better for me.

In fact, it's so much better that I'll sell you one of my Bushnell's if you want. The only downside is that they don't appear to make a pistol model on a low mount.

Amazon product ASIN B0842TW171View: https://smile.amazon.com/Sig-Sauer-SGSOR72002-Romeo-Green/dp/B0842TW171

71Nd0dfmmWL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Back
Top Bottom