• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Any shotgun reloaders?

Anyone reload shotshells? The only one of my presses that has been running lately is my ancient MEC 650 pumping out 12ga skeet loads.

Looking for some suggestions on good 28ga powders to use. I'm planning on picking up a tube set for my Beretta and a MEC 9000.

Anyone reload shotshells? The only one of my presses that has been running lately is my ancient MEC 650 pumping out 12ga skeet loads.

Looking for some suggestions on good 28ga powders to use. I'm planning on picking up a tube set for my Beretta and a MEC 9000.

Sounds like you are moving up to a higher production machine. I have a Ponsness Warren Size O Matic 900 that you might be interested in. I have never used it but it is a large, high production machine. Unfortunately, it is set up for 12 ga.

I have the mec 9000 H and I love it both the wife and I shoot trap so we can go thur 12 boxes a shells in a week and the 9000 makes easy work of reloading.I also have mec jr for 20 gauge and I just picked up two grabbers one for 28 and one in 410. I use Alliant powder so I just go to there website and get recipes.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/index.aspx

The PW is a tank of a press, Unfortunately they are NOT cheap to convert caliber. I have one on my bench and haven't pulled the handle on it in around 5 years. The price of shot makes it more sensible to simply buy when Dick's has a sale.

The Savings on 12 gauge isnt that much any more like ipscdrl said due to the lead price. The savings is in the off gauges 16 28 410. I still enjoy reloading so I guess its worth it for me.

I have used Unique, Green Dot, HS-700X , HS-800X and SR-4756 in 28 ga. reloads. I prefer Unique with the Remington hull. Above all do not use HS-800X as it meters very poorly - first squibbs I ever experienced. The HS-700X provides a load at just below 1100 fps which may not function semi auto's such as the Rem 1100. I use a MEC650 for 12 ga. but a MEC600Jr for 28 ga.

Last edited:
I saw some MEC600 Jrs in .410 for $150, was thinking about picking one up just because I'll eventually need it.

I had also been looking at the newer 20/28 powder that Alliant makes, supposed to take up less space in the hull. Any experience with that?

I've been shooting pretty much a case a week lately and getting a set of 28ga tubes should allow me to stretch that a few more boxes.

I saw some MEC600 Jrs in .410 for $150, was thinking about picking one up just because I'll eventually need it.

I had also been looking at the newer 20/28 powder that Alliant makes, supposed to take up less space in the hull. Any experience with that?

I've been shooting pretty much a case a week lately and getting a set of 28ga tubes should allow me to stretch that a few more boxes.

When I use up my 8lbs of Unique I will try the Alliant 20/28.

We reload for shotguns in my house to the tune of around 25-30,000 rounds per season between my Dad and I. I've had a MEC, a PW 800+, a Dillon SL900, and I've finally settled on a Spolar. Green Dot is my choice for handicap and Red Dot is what I use for singles. These are 12ga load though.

The price of shot makes it more sensible to simply buy when Dick's has a sale.

Most of the shotgun reloaders I know stopped doing it when the shot prices spiked and went off the map a few years ago. I think they receded somewhat, but don't know if it makes it worth it now or not.

I know for what Vell is talking about it's still worth it.... 28, .410 (commercial .410 is a frigging ripoff!) but for 12 and 20... most have dumped it.

-Mike

Right now it's costing about $45 a bag...

My club is doing a group buy for $35 a bag, still a hell of a lot more than it used to be.

For 28ga, it's still going to cost less than half of what new AA/STS target loads would be. For 12 ga, I'm probably saving .75 a box over cheap factory loads (although the savings versus the AA loads I'd be shooting are still decent)

Dr. Grant brings up a good point - promo ammo is often no more expensive (and aoocasionally a bit less) than reloadng 12 ga, unless you manage to score cheap components somewhere.

For the "skeeter" gagues, though....reloading is a savings. I've never been able to figure out why the 28/.410 ammo is more than the larger gagues when there's less stuff in them. Maybe the midges who make the ammo have a better union? [laugh]

I have the mec 9000 H and I love it both the wife and I shoot trap so we can go thur 12 boxes a shells in a week and the 9000 makes easy work of reloading.I also have mec jr for 20 gauge and I just picked up two grabbers one for 28 and one in 410. I use Alliant powder so I just go to there website and get recipes.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/index.aspx

Hi Sparky: I'm considering buying a MEC 9000H. Can you please tell me how many rounds per hour you can load with it?

Thanks,

RJ

Do any one reload slugs? I mainly shoot slugs and there pricey as hell.

Looking for advice .

I've seen video of people melting shot loads and putting the slug back in.

Last edited:

Looking for advice .

I reload slugs. Use Lee 1oz slug mold. The lee and Lyman mold can be used with modern plastic wads. I find Winchester wads to work best. I use clays powder and sometimes green dot. They run about 1350fps. Not as fast as rem slugsters accuracy is about the same. I can hit a 6" circle with ease @ 50 yards with my 870. When I priced out reloading componants for sabots style slugs it was not worth it. Better to buy sabots off season on sale.

As for 28g I used 20/28 when it first came out for 20g. I don't bother loading 20g anymore. It worked fine but I really don't have much to campare it too. ? It busted clays as good as any other load I tried.
For reloading....I say unless your into some serious skeet shooting 10k a year or so a mec 650 is more than enough to pump several hundred rounds a hour.

20/28 is THE powder to use for sporting games. Been there-Done that,

BTW, 28 Is one of the few gages I feel it worthwhile loading for. IMHO, 12 and 20 can just be bought too cheap to bother.

RJ
I would say I can do 300 to 350 a hour if I am cranking I do like to check them every so often sometimes I am slower if I have a bad hull or stop to take a sip of my beer.

A good, well built progressive reloader will allow you to crank out some serious ammo. I was able to load a box (25 rounds), in less than three minutes. Note, you need to keep a close eye on things when you move this fast!

Looking for advice .

I reload 12 gauge slugs, both Lyman cast and Brenneke commercial slugs, I also cast and reload 0.690" balls. The balls are way more accurate for me in my smoothbores.

My favorite load is 40 grains of Blue Dot with the .690 ball. I use a 7/8 ounce wad with the petals cut off, then trim the shell about 3/16" to clean up the mouth, and roll crimp. I use Rem. Gun Club hulls as they are readily availabe at the trap range.

I like the look of the roll crimp but this can also be done with the standard folded 6 or 8 point crimp.

You could go as high a 50 grains of blue dot, but that is a real thumper.

Takes some time to cast, trim, hand charge and roll crimp....but in the end you have devastating slugs for pennies per shot.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom