Anyone ever done this to their Kahr?

I've got this Kahr K40 that I just love. Great carry gun, shoots where I point it, and very concealable. After the usual cleaning from the latest range trip, I reassembled it and gave it the ol' functionality check by dry-fire. That's when I noticed I somehow did THIS:

IMG00001-20100210-2013.jpg

I cannot get the slide off for the life of me. I think the rod came off of its little notch on the barrel somehow, and is preventing the slide from moving forward past the point where it's in battery. Funnily enough, the weapon still seems to cycle fine (by hand, no way am I firing it in this condition). I sense a trip to a 'smith or Kahr in the near future to get this taken care of, but I figured I'd ask here first to see if anyone had any ideas... [crying]

Last edited:
I don't own a Kahr but first you should be glad nothing happened while you were shooting it. You have probably already tried this but I'd push the rod back in a little & wiggle it around & try to get the slide off. It's got to come off one way or another. Keep fiddling with it. I've had weird little hang ups in the past that have given me issues with slide removal. Also hold it up to a light & try to look down into the slide from the front or the back. Something could be broken or hung up & maby you could move it aside with a unfolded paper clip. Move the trigger back and forth keep working it. It got to come off somehow.

I've got this Kahr K40 that I just love. Great carry gun, shoots where I point it, and very concealable. After the usual cleaning from the latest range trip, I reassembled it and gave it the ol' functionality check by dry-fire. That's when I noticed I somehow did THIS:

IMG00001-20100210-2013.jpg

I cannot get the slide off for the life of me. I think the rod came off of its little notch on the barrel somehow, and is preventing the slide from moving forward past the point where it's in battery. Funnily enough, the weapon still seems to cycle fine (by hand, no way am I firing it in this condition). I sense a trip to a 'smith or Kahr in the near future to get this taken care of, but I figured I'd ask here first to see if anyone had any ideas... [crying]

I had the same thing happen with a LaserMax guide rod. DO NOT attempt to clear this by yourself (IMO). The guide rod most likely tipped inside the slide and is resting at an angle against the top of the slide. If you can bring it to Four Seasons on Friday they have someone there all day that could most likely help you with this. Give Carl there a call and see if they can fit you into the schedule.

I have seen that happen to a glock. Fixed it with a hammer and it sanpped the end of the plastic guide rod. Not sure I would do it to a Khar though.

I have seen that happen to a glock. Fixed it with a hammer and it sanpped the end of the plastic guide rod. Not sure I would do it to a Khar though.

Yeah, I had my own solution to the problem and was told by everyone I was a moron for doing it. Just passing along my "lesson learned". I'm not saying what my solutions was because it was apparently stupid.

If it works like a Glock & you can get the slide back far enough to pull the striker forward & remove the back plate. You can remove the striker and extractor springs.This will disengage the plunger safety witch often gets hung up in these situations.

I don't know what you did, but don't do it again. [wink] Did you dry fire it w/o the takedown pin / slide release in?

Explod-ey view here: http://www.kahrshop.com/parts_k40s.html ...And you can click the upper, lower, and mag assemblies to blow up the image.

You're not going to get that out with force, so if you can't do a detail strip of the slide to remove the striker and block assemblies, just take it to Carl. I have instructions for the detail strip around somewhere, but it's not all THAT difficult to figure out. Give me a call if you need to, and I'll locate them.

Back
Top Bottom