Anyone Know Where to Get Primers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you also missed the economic class where profit on commodities is maximized by having products for all your customers? Because you're not maximizing profit on a commodity by having millions of customers unable to buy it.

Well I did a masters in econ and never learned that profit is maximized by "having products for all your customers."

What I did learn is that price signals are probably the biggest force we've ever discovered for social good, and the best thing ammo/component retailers can do for the gun community is to simply raise prices... by a lot.

It's more complex than that. The shortage allows for price increases, so as you add more to the supply curve, price decreases and you might even have price competition between vendors. Add in the risk to service those additional customers (who will not fund you idle machinery or severance benefits once demand recedes to normal), and it may just be too expensive to court those additional customers.
The maximum profit of a well established commodity is never found at the extremes of the supply/demand curve. Certainly not at the shortages portion of the graph.

Ammo and primers are certainly well established commodities.

On top of that pricing from the factories is NOT matching reality. How do we know this? Because there is an extremely high demand secondary reselling market. In a robust commodity market sclasd properly you do not have 2nd or 3rd tier dark markets.

But hey, what do I know. Let's just keep having none available. I'm sure having none and turning away customers is a great profit strategy.

Well I did a masters in econ and never learned that profit is maximized by "having products for all your customers."

What I did learn is that price signals are probably the biggest force we've ever discovered for social good, and the best thing ammo/component retailers can do for the gun community is to simply raise prices... by a lot.
I guess you got overcharged for that degree?

Prices from suppliers do need to go up. They are not maximizing profit. Not even close. That's a short term response to higher demand and will place them into a vulnerable position if competition arises as they are then widely open to be undercut on inability to supply volume to meet demand.

Now if you're arguing that government thru regulation has created a quasi-monopoly on ammo/primers due to cost of entry barrier being high. Yes I agree.

Ok I guess I could spare one sleeve of small pistol primers. They have a lil dent in some of them but should polish right out. I know from experience these go bang. I’m SOO sorry I have to price these so fricken stupidly high but but but $150 a sleeve. I know what I have here so don’t try to lowball me.

Attachments

• B1F4524E-5CD9-4A85-9F3B-A8D33288073D.jpeg
    B1F4524E-5CD9-4A85-9F3B-A8D33288073D.jpeg
    441 KB · Views: 10
I was not lying early in this thread when I said I was watching wuflu coming down the pike and went on a buying spree. I went thru the last two shortages and I buy a lot when prices normalize and a lot more the second I get a whiff of something going doen

As someone who’s never been through any shortages..
91EA2F0A-D3B2-4F82-9ACB-8268327CBA5C.gif

I’m not bitter or jealous, I swear!

At this point buy from LGS when you can. Take shopping trips to places like Shooters Outpost. Just make a shopping day trip/outing of it.

When it gets better, don't celebrate, stock your shelves. When you see a mass shooting happen on the news, make a trip and buy a brick or two.

Locals are dry and Shooters is over an hour away for me, kind of a long ride for 200 primers.
I’m not without hope though.

I just watched a video of someone using matches to refill primers!!

AMAZING!!

Edit- strike on box matches are now OOS...

I was not lying early in this thread when I said I was watching wuflu coming down the pike and went on a buying spree. I went thru the last two shortages and I buy a lot when prices normalize and a lot more the second I get a whiff of something going doen
Same. I drove up to Shooters on 3/17/20 and grabbed 24k primers to split with friends. Should have bought every last crate they had lol. But I had been stocking up in 2018-19 also.
E581AA18-2EFE-4A4C-A962-F44F7FB5843A.jpeg 705C715C-5828-42A4-8924-6B7E15E6F139.jpeg 11CEA12D-1C29-43B9-8061-F34D37FCAF9A.jpeg

Same. I drove up to Shooters on 3/17/20 and grabbed 24k primers to split with friends. Should have bought every last crate they had lol. But I had been stocking up in 2018-19 also.

Hindsight lol, i now live 20 minutes away and always used to think, ah, i'll just come back when i need something :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom