AR 15 barrel length

need some help here I plan on buying an AR15 at Four Seasons
tomorrow the DPMS that's on sale caught my eye and according to Dave(?) at Legal Transfers that model is the way to go . will I be at a disadvantage with the 16' bbl as opposed to the 20" I know this question has probably asked before and what is the opinion of the products from DPMS Thanks for the help

Do you have access to a range longer then 200 yards? Unless you do you will probably not notice the difference.

All you will give up is a few FPS in velocity.
Accuracy is not effected until you get way out there.
I've got a 16" carbine and a 24" varminter, there is no difference (up to 200 yards anyway)
The longer sight plane of the 24" helps out a little, but not much.

Last edited:
I have the shorter barrel, guy at the store mentioned that some feel the balance actually helps. I wouldn't know personally, never had a different AR.

My family back home has four ARs, two 16.5s (RRA and a RRA/Bushmaster hybrid), and two 20s (Colt A2 HBAR and my SP1). I can definitely say that at 100 yards you will see no difference. Then again, all four rifles are more accurate than I am.

Longer barrels are not more accurate than shorter ones.

Get a 16". I have a 16" and a 20". I prefer the 16" carbine, especially because I have an adjustable stock on it.

Whatever length you get, make sure it is what is known as "Government" profile. That is, thin under the handguards. The weapon will balance very nicely, be lighter, and will have MORE than enough accuracy to hit the torso on a man sized target at ANY distance you can.

Back
Top Bottom