AR Barrel review

iv only used 1/7 and 1/9 i have no exp. with 1/8 everything i read is that they are only good for heavier bullets like 70's and match stuff. i just shoot 55 and up to like 60's nothing expensive just cheaper ammo. i have been reading that it wont shoot those well.

Stainless.
The miculek comp is cheap and works very well. The SJC titan is an awesome brake at $90. The yhm vent on the bottom, which makes no sense and vents gases into the ground. I borrowed a rifle at a 3 gun match, we shot standing in a ditch with the rifle at ground level. The YHM was spraying so much dirt everywhere that it jammed up the rifle. Carlson does not have any baffle so it is not effective in reducing recoil

im not so hung up on recoil reduction as much as some muzzle climb and i kind of like the looks of the carlson. Yea i do like the miculek, i have that on my Stag. I will check the SJC out.

here is a custom comp and a SJC, both are flat shooting gun. The 18" rifle length gas system with a lightened carrier and buffer does make the first rifle softer

The miculek is not as soft as those. Also look at a JP Cooley

Last edited by a moderator:
here is a custom comp and a SJC, both are flat shooting gun. The 18" rifle length gas system with a lightened carrier and buffer does make the first rifle softer

The miculek is not as soft as those. Also look at a JP Cooley

So you recommend a semi-auto carrier instead of a full-auto?

Last edited by a moderator:
So you recommend a semi-auto carrier instead of a full-auto?

The general idea is on a rifle length gas system is to go with a light carrier and buffer. Turn down the gas until it won't lock open on an empty mag, then add a little gas. You have less reciprocating mass which is less felt recoil.

On carbine length systems, the general idea is to go heavy, heavier carrier and buffer. Since the pressure is so high and the unlock time is so soon, it is difficult to reduce the gas enough to make it smooth with a light carrier. It just slams a lighter carrier into the extension. Now gas port size will play into this a lot. If you have a barrel with a smaller port size, then you can reduce enough gas to make a difference.

This is the BCG I run in my rifle length

BCG.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks! Good info.

The general idea is on a rifle length gas system is to go with a light carrier and buffer. Turn down the gas until it won't lock open on an empty mag, then add a little gas. You have less reciprocating mass which is less felt recoil.

On carbine length systems, the general idea is to go heavy, heavier carrier and buffer. Since the pressure is so high and the unlock time is so soon, it is difficult to reduce the gas enough to make it smooth with a light carrier. It just slams a lighter carrier into the extension. Now gas port size will play into this a lot. If you have a barrel with a smaller port size, then you can reduce enough gas to make a difference.

This is the BCG I run in my rifle length

BCG.JPG

Any ideas on a decent muzzle brake for a decent price? i was thinking YHM brake or i like the Carlson mini comp.

I tried the Miculek comp and was not impressed (its for sale) and then went with the JP Cooley comp which I found to be much more effective.

I just have some cheap-o 3 slot comp on mine. I kinda wish I went with something else just for aesthetics, but I honestly have no issue with recoil/muzzle climb. I've never had an issue with an M16 or an M4 with the birdcage either. For competition there may be some noticeable gain, but in real world shooting I don't think a muzzle brake is too much to harp over.

Great things are said about the FSC-556, and it covers flash too, but is still Mass compliant, it is a bit pricey though.

Mike

Great things are said about the FSC-556, and it covers flash too, but is still Mass compliant, it is a bit pricey though.

Mike

I agree. I went with the FSC556 on one of my rifles, and FELL IN LOVE. Yes, it is on the higher price end, but you can find them for 90.00 on average, which is cheaper than some othernice comps and brakes. I notice less "felt recoil" from the AR with this brake, and combined with a midlength gassystem, it has made the smoothest shooting AR I have built, (as far as tactical goes, not compitition style rifle). I now have three of them.

Thanks guys, yea a couple guys pointed out the FSC-556 on a different site. I think i will check it out. I just like the way the carlson mini comp looks and doesnt add much length.

Last edited:
im not so hung up on recoil reduction as much as some muzzle climb and i kind of like the looks of the carlson. Yea i do like the miculek, i have that on my Stag. I will check the SJC out.

In my experience the Carlson comps work very well (I'd go with the original one over the mini for an AR.) I've also found the FSC556 to be very effective but it's more than twice as much money.... With an AR (especially a carbine) I'm more interested in muzzle rise than recoil reduction. Recoil reduction on a .223 is not really much of a concern for me personally.

Also Greg Carlson is a local guy and NES member, for what that's worth.

EDIT: The mini is not long enough to make a 14.5" barrel legal unless you have an SBR stamp.

Last edited:
Well i will go with that rainier arms barrel, its a 16. The 14.5 that is my other choice had a fixed muzzle brake that makes it long enough.

We at Remsport manufacture our own stainless steel barrels and have a 14.5 M4 barrel in stainless steel. This barrel is ioffered in clear ss or blackend ss. The barrels are hand chambered in 5.56 and matched to our bolts or if you bring your bolt in to us I can match it to the barrel for no charge.
Stanless steel barrels sell for $250.00 and up our stainless steel barrels start at $160.00 All our barrels are 1:9 twist. We can offer this low price because we are the manufacturer and no middle men are involved, and we are located right here in Mass.
Contact us.
413 579 1994
Thanks
John

John, I am interested in a barrel, but was confused with:

.... Stanless steel barrels sell for $250.00 and up our stainless steel barrels start at $160.00 ....

Are the black SS barrel $250, and the "clear" SS $160?

Also, is this the price for only the 14.5"?

Do you guys offer a 16" or 18" barrel with midlength gas system?

Yes we offer 20" heavy, 18" heavy, 16" heavy 14.5" M4 and 11.5" M4. Blackened stainless is $25.00 more then bright stainless, bead blasted stainless steel is $10.00 more. The base price for our stainless steel barrels is $160.00 add for bead blasting or blackening. Match chambering is no extra charge.
We are running a sale on our 16" heavy barrel for $130.00 add for black or bead blasted. Our 11.5" M4 barrels are $110.00 and we have some in ss and some in chrome lined carbon steel. We also have a large assortment of muzzle devices in stock.
The 20" and 18" barrels can be done without threaded ends and with target crowns for an additional $15.00.
Call me to discuss details and your needs.
Thanks
John
413 579 1994

Are the Heavy 14.5 barrels just heavy contour or like bull barrel? Im looking for a black midlength 14.5 or 16 heavy contour with a muzzle device. And using my existing bolt.

No heavy 14.5 barrels only M4 profile 14.5 barrels. Nosuch thing as a 14.5" M4 midlength barrels. We have 16 heavy barrels however not mid there is no reason for mid in a 16" barrel and it could make the barrel unreliable. The heavy barrels are 920 dia to the gas block and the 750 dia. to the end.
Contact us for mpore details.
413 579 1994
Thanks
John

I don't see the down side of a mid length 16", Decrease pressure, less port erosion, less chamber pressure during extraction. Less wear on the bolt. and you still have optimum dwell time.

I don't see the down side of a mid length 16", Decrease pressure, less port erosion, less chamber pressure during extraction. Less wear on the bolt. and you still have optimum dwell time.

My thoughts EXACTLY. I am in belief (due to way smarter people than myself, and real world math and testing) that the 16in barrel is BEST suited with a midlength gas system. The whole "carbine length gas system was designed for a 14.5in barrel, and the rifle length gas system was designed for a 20in barrel, so it is not only LOGICAL, but mathematically similar when you compare lengths of barrels and gas system differences, dwell time, length of barrel from gas hold to muzzle etc.... When John posted that last post saying 1. There were no such things as a 14.5in midlength, then 2. that a 16in midlength barrel would be "unreliable" I almost threw up in my mouth, and fell off my chair at the completely WRONG information being posted for others to read.

I have a 1:8, 16" middy barrel on an AR with a piston setup and it is a great, great shooter. Not sure about the unreliable mid-length comment either. I also would recommend the FSC556 comp.

1:8 is a good all around twist rate for most AR bullet weights.

Last edited:
I've got a 14.5 with a brake permanently pinned and a mid length gas system and it is one of the smoothest shooting ARs I've ever fired. Never had an issue with short stroking. I would trust my life to my rifle.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom