• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR in x39?

Wow never knew there were preban AR x39 mags. Saw these “Frankenmags”in the classifieds (first photo)

Do they actually function fine? Where do you find those? Gunbroker?

I just got my BRN180 upper in 7.62x39, it'll be my 3rd SBR using the BRN180 upper, the other two being 223 and 300. The others have worked flawlessly, but I realize I may be pushing it. Still I like that there is no buffer tube, making it a much better platform for a SBR with folding stock or an AR lower based pistol. Eventually I'll be trying it with both modified AR mags, and the purpose built 7.62x39 AR mags.

Shot some red box red army, white box red army and Igman brass x39 today. Had one dud in the white box red army. The rest was fine.
I’m making sure to keep all of the x39 brass so I can sell it off at some point. No way I’m going to reload that. Case rims get a little banged up but should be g2g for reloading. D9FF210C-24E5-46A4-93B1-FBC3972B2734.jpeg DAD78A44-6D25-4A7E-969D-D339EDC3EBAA.jpeg

Then of course I broke one of the steel plate straps. It had been hanging by a thread for months and finally gave out lol. Prob have to use my angle grinder to cut off the bolts as the threads are f***ed and unlikely I’ll get the nut off🙄 91C2402B-9D05-4796-ACD6-E177AD54D10C.jpeg

Shot some red box red army, white box red army and Igman brass x39 today. Had one dud in the white box red army. The rest was fine.
I’m making sure to keep all of the x39 brass so I can sell it off at some point. No way I’m going to reload that. Case rims get a little banged up but should be g2g for reloading. View attachment 647556View attachment 647558

Then of course I broke one of the steel plate straps. It had been hanging by a thread for months and finally gave out lol. Prob have to use my angle grinder to cut off the bolts as the threads are f***ed and unlikely I’ll get the nut off🙄View attachment 647557
I've been using tow chains and they work pretty well with the included clips, which are cheap to replace

20220730_131525.jpg

Good as new. The new 20V DeWalt impact drill I bought over the weekend came in handy to remove the nuts.
Though I need to order more hanger straps and bolts. Used my last spare kit. I use the rubber belt hangers from shootsteel and these bright colored green hangers from thelaststand.com.
They last a long time. Once a year at most. 4DAA60A7-238B-4150-BE22-CDCCE2DF917E.jpeg

The only thing I don't like about x39 is that the bullet destroys steel targets. 1/2" is barely sufficient.
Really? I use the 1/2" AR500 from shootsteel and it lasts a long time. I mean it eventually gets a little pitted but still holds up fine otherwise. I don’t shoot at it any closer than 60 yards FWIW

Wow never knew there were preban AR x39 mags. Saw these “Frankenmags”in the classifieds (first photo)

Do they actually function fine? Where do you find those? Gunbroker?

There are preban x39 mags but most don't work. If you can find one that's made from an AK mag with an AR mag welded to it at the top, those supposedly work well. I tried 2 pre-ban 30 rd x39 mags and neither one would feed if you put more than 6 rounds in it. They bind up due to the curve of the mag.

There are preban x39 mags but most don't work. If you can find one that's made from an AK mag with an AR mag welded to it at the top, those supposedly work well. I tried 2 pre-ban 30 rd x39 mags and neither one would feed if you put more than 6 rounds in it. They bind up due to the curve of the mag.
Thanks. I’ll stick with the new 10 round duramags for now. They’ve been extremely reliable

I was wrong, but you guys are still masochists. Broken bolts, firing pins etc. 🤣 thats serious dick self punching territory.
Having a SBR in x39 is worth the minor part breakages 😆
I haven’t broken a FP or bolt yet but a couple extractors. They last a little while and BCA sends replacements for free so I don’t mind. If shit was breaking every range trip and there was no customer support for the parts I probably wouldn’t bother lol.

Having a SBR in x39 is worth the minor part breakages 😆
I haven’t broken a FP or bolt yet but a couple extractors. They last a little while and BCA sends replacements for free so I don’t mind. If shit was breaking every range trip and there was no customer support for the parts I probably wouldn’t bother lol.
Fa busted on my upper but was replaced with no cost. Love that gun.

Only thing I don’t like about the BCA upper is that it’s heavy. Uses a HBAR 10.5"
Not sure if it’s worth trying to find a lighter weight profile barrel for such a cheap upper.

You'll be dumping it soon. These guns were never meant for this cartridge. I've not met a single person that kept a 762 x39 AR.... ever.
From Wikipedia. So, are they ALL wrong?

AR-15 cartridges​

Rimfire cartridges​

Centerfire cartridges imperial measurement​

It wouldn't let me put them all in one post (more than 10000 characters?), so here's the rest:

Centerfire cartridges metric measurement​

@Coyote33. , 80% of those id never use in an AR. Most of the rimfires don't even count because they're mostly blowbacks and the system can be cheated. There's probably a healthy amount that work well. 762x39 is a monkey f***ing a football, tho. I get the allure but the frustration factor makes it a black cross. I'd likely feel differently if i was running a rifle outdoors a few times a week. I'm lucky if i get 3x a year at this point. Hoping to increase that.

@Coyote33. , 80% of those id never use in an AR. Most of the rimfires don't even count because they're mostly blowbacks and the system can be cheated. There's probably a healthy amount that work well. 762x39 is a monkey f***ing a football, tho. I get the allure but the frustration factor makes it a black cross. I'd likely feel differently if i was running a rifle outdoors a few times a week. I'm lucky if i get 3x a year at this point. Hoping to increase that.

Never discount the satisfaction of going to a carbine course, and hearing the following after the first few strings of fire.

“Hey man, you shooting a .30cal? Those holes are massive”

There’s probably no cheaper way to add a couple inches if you know what I’m saying ;)

Only thing I don’t like about the BCA upper is that it’s heavy. Uses a HBAR 10.5"
Not sure if it’s worth trying to find a lighter weight profile barrel for such a cheap upper.
Well I pulled the trigger on a 10" Diamondback medium contour barrel and adjustable gas block. Seems like an AR in x39 could really benefit from an adjustable gas block. Hopefully this all works and I can fine tune it🤞🏻

I had a semi-long conversation with John Hollinger about alternate AR15 chamberings. He says he discourages every person who calls and wants something built that's based on the 7.62x39 case. Just too much lug needs to be removed on the bolt. It's just a matter of time before one snaps off and ruins your day.

Back
Top Bottom