AR Uppers

Where is there the biggest gain in accuracy, the barrel, or the ammo?

Both...

Steel cased ammo is fine for plinking but don't expect good groupings out of it. Handloads or .mil ammo (M855/M193) is a lot better IMHO. Twist rates are important if you're shooting far too. 1/9 is kind of industry standard. 1/7 is what the mil uses because they are moving away from M855/M193 ammo in favor of heavier longer bullet loads MK262.

Are green mountain barrels considered top quality?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I researched reviews online, couldn't find anything negative. Lots of positive, especially with their 10\22 barrels. I have purchased several versions of their 556 barrels and feel they are as good as any others I have. I'm not a bullseye shooter or out there trying to hit sub MOA every day, I just plink and look to hit the target with consistency. The fit and finish on all my GM barrels is second to none. Would I say they are a top quality barrel? Based on my experience and use, they absolutely are!

I researched reviews online, couldn't find anything negative. Lots of positive, especially with their 10\22 barrels. I have purchased several versions of their 556 barrels and feel they are as good as any others I have. I'm not a bullseye shooter or out there trying to hit sub MOA every day, I just plink and look to hit the target with consistency. The fit and finish on all my GM barrels is second to none. Would I say they are a top quality barrel? Based on my experience and use, they absolutely are!

But what other barrels do you have? Have you compared them to known top end barrels, JP, noveske, krieger?

But what other barrels do you have? Have you compared them to known top end barrels, JP, noveske, krieger?

Have you compared em,? What GM barrels do you have? I have several DD, Colt, S&W, and more I can't remember so called top manufacturers. I 'm not looking for competition barrels, just looking for self defense and my own personal use. Are we talking a quality barrel or a tac driver at 600yds....

Have you compared em,? What GM barrels do you have? I have several DD, Colt, S&W, and more I can't remember so called top manufacturers. I 'm not looking for competition barrels, just looking for self defense and my own personal use. Are we talking a quality barrel or a tac driver at 600yds....

I don't have any GM barrels, that is why I asked what other barrels you have since you did not give a reference point that you were comparing them against.

I know a couple guys who used Green Mountain service rifle barrels when White Oak was really far behind. So far I haven't heard of anyone complaining about shooting wild 7's at 600 yards. (No more than normal anyway.) I'd buy one if I wasn't a Krieger snob.

I know a couple guys who used Green Mountain service rifle barrels when White Oak was really far behind. So far I haven't heard of anyone complaining about shooting wild 7's at 600 yards. (No more than normal anyway.) I'd buy one if I wasn't a Krieger snob.

ahhhhhh..... the keyboard of reason !!! Thanks Jason..

Ideally if I could hit MOA at 100 I'd be happy, my groupings are spread out at 25yds with iron sights. Im hitting black in almost 3" centered around the x

- - - Updated - - -

My upper was a PSA daily deal for about 280$
so I should probably be content given the equipment.

Ideally if I could hit MOA at 100 I'd be happy, my groupings are spread out at 25yds with iron sights. Im hitting black in almost 3" centered around the x

- - - Updated - - -

My upper was a PSA daily deal for about 280$
so I should probably be content given the equipment.

That doesn't mean the barrel is not accurate... it means that you are shooting through iron sights... and what other non ideal conditions exist.. our degree of expertise.. among others..

I've had my grubby mitts on a few green mt barrels . Two ar's and a couple of blanks . Ar's looks nice . Blanks had nice clean rifling . I'm not good enough to say there shit or not . But at least the machine work is Nicky done . Couldn't find tooling marks

That doesn't mean the barrel is not accurate... it means that you are shooting through iron sights... and what other non ideal conditions exist.. our degree of expertise.. among others..
When I first started shooting my m1 10 yrs ago I never used peep sights and frankly was never really good at notch and post either ( short spell as a jr shooter I started doing well but dropped shooting for motoX. 20yrs later back to shooting)
At 1st I was lucky to keep the shots inside the 5 ring. Practice and guidence I shoot pretty darn good with the M1. Now my ARs at first they where just blasting fun. In 2011 I started shooting service rifle. And surprised my self the few times I have gone out to 600 yards with irons.
I do more dry fire than actual live shooting. Sight picture and front sight focus along with trigger pull has really helped over the past 1.5 yrs.
Don't be discouraged with iron sights, scopes may not tighten your groups up if your fundementals are not well.

When I first started shooting my m1 10 yrs ago I never used peep sights and frankly was never really good at notch and post either ( short spell as a jr shooter I started doing well but dropped shooting for motoX. 20yrs later back to shooting)
At 1st I was lucky to keep the shots inside the 5 ring. Practice and guidence I shoot pretty darn good with the M1. Now my ARs at first they where just blasting fun. In 2011 I started shooting service rifle. And surprised my self the few times I have gone out to 600 yards with irons.
I do more dry fire than actual live shooting. Sight picture and front sight focus along with trigger pull has really helped over the past 1.5 yrs.
Don't be discouraged with iron sights, scopes may not tighten your groups up if your fundementals are not well.

Front sight post, front sight post, front sight post [grin]

Probably the hardest thing to actually learn as a shooter even though everyone says it all the time. That and patience to wait for the best shot, especially when shooting strings. Gotta fight the natural urge to keep increasing your pace.

Back
Top Bottom