AR10 vs M1A1

M1A; for reason of personal preference only. Counting my pocket change as I speak.

I love the AR platform but .308 in the AR platform isn't for me. Though I would be interested in what others have to say on this.

The US Army just chose Knight's Manufacturing SR25 (their version of the AR10) as their next generation Sniper Weapon System to replace the Remington M24.

The M14 was not even considered. The M14 is obsolete, and the few in service will continue to disappear as the M16-based SDM-R continue to roll out of the Army Marksmanship Unit's weapons shop and Knight's goes through the development and operational testing of the XM110.

The M14 was not even considered. The M14 is obsolete, and the few in service will continue to disappear as the M16-based SDM-R continue to roll out of the Army Marksmanship Unit's weapons shop and Knight's goes through the development and operational testing of the XM110.

Not sure if I buy the M14's imminent demise. It has made quite a showing
of itself in Iraq, especially in the new stock and optics configurations.
They are quite in demand by our troops from what I have been reading.

Not sure if I buy the M14's imminent demise. It has made quite a showing
of itself in Iraq, especially in the new stock and optics configurations.
They are quite in demand by our troops from what I have been reading.

+1

from what i've read and been told from the guys overseas is that the m14's were brought back by popular demand and i think there is at least one in every squad now

I've got both. I prefer the M14, but the AR 308 may prove to be more accurate over time. An accurate M14 is a maintenance pig.

I have an ar-10 and it is hole for hole at 100 yards, well under 1 inch at 200 and recoil is prety mild. I just ordered a garand from cmp. I have shot a few and I like them very much. they are very differant anamals. if I had to pick one I would take the garand. the ar-10 has become almost boaring. just point and click, it takes all the chalange out. The garands are getting hard to come by

AR10, Yesh!

Just ordered a new Armalite AR10A4 from Carl. Can't wait till it comes in!! I've shot my friend's A2 many times, super accurate and a great all around rifle in a great caliber. I let you know when it comes in.

Which M-1A to get

Get the M-1A with the synthetic stock and the national match front site. All you need is proper maintainance, a few spare parts, and to get familiar with the system. It will do if you will do.

Get the M-1A with the synthetic stock and the national match front site. All you need is proper maintainance, a few spare parts, and to get familiar with the system. It will do if you will do.

I have this exact setup in my M1A. It's my most accurate semi auto rifle. I've shot the AR10, but I prefer the M1A. It just fits me better and in my mind, I shoot it better.

I've got both. I find the M1A fits me better. The AR10 feels off-balance. The AR10 is much easier to scope, however.

Jose has no clue what he is talking about. In fact the M1A/M14 is making a big comeback in Iraq and Afghanistan. Marines love it, are handing out to their designated marksmen. In fact, many places such as Smith can barely keep up with military demands, and it is almost impossible to get civilian versions. The M1A/M14 is here to stay.

Let us also not forget, if we are in a desert, I'd much rather have a piston-driven M14 than a gas impingement AR10. The M14 is looser, tougher, and faster to clean. The AR10 just seems "tighter", which may aid with accuracy, but I feel that in a sand/dirt environment, it won't compare to the toughness of the M14/M1A. Not saying AR10 is bad, but I dunno, I just like M14/M1A personally.

Jose has no clue what he is talking about. In fact the M1A/M14 is making a big comeback in Iraq and Afghanistan. Marines love it, are handing out to their designated marksmen. In fact, many places such as Smith can barely keep up with military demands, and it is almost impossible to get civilian versions. The M1A/M14 is here to stay.

Since most the info I have I got from the recently departed CO of the USAMU, I must know jack shit.

But carry on. Some of you guys sound like you just came from Jouster or the CMP forum.

Jose,
I hope that you have not taken offense to earlier statements (even if they were
a bit impolite). I think that part of the confusion is caused by the military's very
conflicting statements. It is a fact that they are working on next-generation
marksman platforms that are not based on the M14. It is also a fact that they
are buying up (or revamping) very large numbers of M14 systems and deploying
them into the field today. Does this mean that the M14s will be thrown out when
the new system comes online? Will any new systems be restricted to specialized
units? Is the Army hedging its bets? I don't know, but it certainly makes
for some interesting speculation.

F

Back
Top Bottom