AR15 how easy?

So after 12 (or more) months of not buying any firearms I've decided to go out and start buying again. It's been way too long...too long.

I really want an AR15, but honestly can't drop $1500 in one go without my wife using it on me :). So my plan is to get an M&P 15-22 this weekend to get a feel for the AR15 platform. I will then get a stripped lower and build my own "real" 223 AR15 over a few months. Not only will this be cheaper and spread the costs, but will help me understand the platform better.

So the question is is it really as easy as all the blogs say it is to build your own? I am technically minded.

Its easy. I have a thread over in the "Build it yourself" section of an AR-15 that I just finished. I didn't time myself, but I would estimate (very conservative estimate) that it took me two hours to assemble the complete rifle. This includes watching the Brownells assembly videos at the same time as assembling my AR.

And as far as the M&P 15-22 goes...........what does that retail for? $400 - $500?????

I built my AR for $625.

Here's the link: http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/88436-Delaware-Lower-First-Build-*Update-in-OP*

Last edited:
You have a huge support base here and there is a wealth of information on AR building all over the web. It really isn't that hard. That said, when you do embark on your build, I'd recommend paying attention to all the lessons learned, and to take your time.

Also, you may want to consider getting a designated .22 upper instead of the M&P 15-22, and then build the lower for it from the outset. MadRussian did a write up on one he paid 300 for, that he has had a lot of luck with. I've also used it with him a handful of times and can testify to it working great. http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...pper-for-an-AR-15-by-Chiappa-(ATI)?highlight=

Let us know when you want to get started with the build and we can help you every step of the way. I would say spend a bit more money, even if over a little more time, and set it up exactly like you want it.

Mike

Last edited:
Matt,

I've built a bunch and have all the tools. If you want to do it, come over to my place and we'll get it done.

Thanks Jim, I will take you up on that when I have all my "bits" together :)

I actually shot a 15-22 last weekend. I know I could get a 22LR upper for the AR15, but that 15-22 was so freaking fun!!! Heck, what's one more gun anyway, especially as it's been so long? :) I also saw online (can't find the article) that since the 15-22 was built from the ground up to be a 22LR that it's more accurate than a conversion.

Matt,

If you have people with the tools, build it yourself. Just take the time and dictate what the rifle is going to be used for.

For the record, the Mid-length gas system is probably the best thing going on in the AR system for DI systems. My BCM 16" middy was a 100% pleasure to shoot. It appears to be the 'sweet' spot as far as gas lengths go.

I will then get a stripped lower and build my own "real" 223 AR15 over a few months. Not only will this be cheaper and spread the costs, but will help me understand the platform better.

[laugh2]Well You are correct about the getting to know the platform part [smile].....but once you get bitten the bug goes deep and craves evermore expensive parts.

KEri

Matt,

For the record, the Mid-length gas system is probably the best thing going on in the AR system for DI systems. My BCM 16" middy was a 100% pleasure to shoot. It appears to be the 'sweet' spot as far as gas lengths go.

For a 16" rifle, it is probably the way to go. but 18" rifle gas is so much smoother and softer with no loss on transitions.

Building an AR is very easy. I would skip the .22 and start collecting parts.

So the question is is it really as easy as all the blogs say it is to build your own?

YES

If you have any kind of tool set at home, you can do it. You will need to borrow a barrel nut wrench. Other than the basic tools of a small hammer, screwdriver, small punch, needle nose and regular pliers, that's about it.

Guys, any other basic tool I forgot?

Last edited:
YES

If you have any kind of tool set at home, you can do it. You will need to borrow a barrel nut wrench. Other than the basic tools of a small hammer, small punch, needle nose and regular pliers, that's about it.

Guys, any other basic tool I forgot?

Pilgrim got it. There are some specialized tools that make the job easier, but basic hand tools will do. Having a friend help you with your first build is a great way to start.

I learned a lot at the NES build party a few months ago. Also had a great time! [smile]

Back
Top Bottom