AR15 in Massachusetts worth it?

So you can have 1 evil feature? ^^^Flash Surpressor?(above)
The PWS FSC556 compensator in that picture also does a damn fine job at suppressing muzzle flash. I'm kind of surprised the BATF approved it. If you look halfway down the page, there is a night video of it to show it's flash hiding ability.

The PWS FSC556 compensator in that picture also does a damn fine job at suppressing muzzle flash. I'm kind of surprised the BATF approved it. If you look halfway down the page, there is a night video of it to show it's flash hiding ability.

Too bad they didn't do a test with something like XM193... which at least in
most lots, makes gigantic fireballs. [grin]

The BATFE "what is a flash suppressor" criteria is somewhat of a mystery to me. It might have something to do with an arbitrary finding based on what they think the "primary intent" of the device is, rather than some relative metric based off reduction of actual muzzle flash using some certain "median" ammunition as a test control.

The whole thing is somewhat silly, given that changing the barrel length and mucking with the ammo will drastically change the flash signature as well... Then again, the whole assault weapon ban is pretty stupid in its entirety.

-Mike

Without derailing the thread too badly, any ideas on:
Which makes and models to look for?
Which stores to check?

I wouldn't need anything too fancy, though a 5.56 chamber is desired, but I'd like to keep to $800 or less.

DPMS, Bushmaster, Stag Arms make a bunch of low priced guns that are serviceable. As long as you stay the hell away from Olympic and Hesse/Vulcan you'll probably do fine.

On the other hand if you want to save the most money, building your own is the best deal, even if the "building" consists of buying a separate upper and lower assembly and snapping em together. If you can find the parts, you can probably build something for much less than $800.

You might want to talk to Remsport MFG
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=126

Or Pete @ http://www.ar15sales.com/ AFAIK, He can get "Mass Compliant" uppers, lowers and rifles.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom