AR15 Preban Magazines - Proving Legal or Illegal

Many go on the assumption that no external/internal date stamp USGI mags are good to go. YMMV.

There are others that just don't care about the AWB/ mag limit...Saw someone at the range with a bunch of 30rnd Pmags...I just chuckled and said, "those look cool".

There are also a lot of police that have no idea that there is a mag limit...I have had police that "know the law" say I was fine so long as I had a CL-A NR license and didn't understand why I had 10rnd mags.[laugh]

A few years back I wanted to pick up some more mags for one of my Glocks, so I went looking on Gunbroker and found an auction that was specifically calling out that it was selling 10 round mags for ban states - and bought 10 mags.

The package shows up a week or so later - with 10 brand new 15 round mags in it. I called the guy up as fast as I could and asked him why he 1) sent something different from what the auction specifically stated - and, 2) - if he knew what the MA laws were.

This started whole conversation with him trying to tell me that the mags were not illegal in MA - that he sold lots of them out at the Big E gun shows in Springfield - and that he had multiple state troopers tell him the mags were legal to own in MA. I had to tell the guy what he had essentially done was send me 10 felony counts in a box - and if he continued to send out illegal mags to MA residents that he might find Martha Coakley crawling up his butt at some future point in time. I also had to tell him that the cops simply didn't know the law in many cases. He still didn't believe me - and didn't seem to want to exchange the mags. So I had to dig up the relevant laws - much big thanks to NES - and send them off to him.

Finally he agreed to exchange them and I (finally) got the right ones.

Then there's the guy I bought a Glock from - who told me the story about how he had also just sold an FS2000 - because he went thru a shit-show at the range with it one day when a guy who claimed to be a cop was all up and down him about not being able own that rifle "because it was a machine gun". His claim was the guy ordered him to stop shooting and basically held him there while he called around to captains and lietenants and so forth trying to get clarification on the law. After that experience he basically decided to just ditch the rifle and avoid the hassle.

Yeah - my experience is cops just don't know the law - in BOTH directions.

i only buy external dated mags, just so there is no confusion. that's for ARs
it could be difficult for AK mags since those never were dated to begin with.

Then there's the guy I bought a Glock from - who told me the story about how he had also just sold an FS2000 - because he went thru a shit-show at the range with it one day when a guy who claimed to be a cop was all up and down him about not being able own that rifle "because it was a machine gun". His claim was the guy ordered him to stop shooting and basically held him there while he called around to captains and lietenants and so forth trying to get clarification on the law. After that experience he basically decided to just ditch the rifle and avoid the hassle.
For the record, I would argue that last case is what happens when a toolbag doesn't know the law. The cop thing is incidental to the story. [thinking]

Last thing I want to do at my range is start harrassing the other patrons. Though if I saw the above going on, I hope I'd have the presence of mind and confidence in the laws I do know to step in and put a halt to that shitshow.

where are the goverment mags marked on the inside? is it easy to see? I want get some larger mags and have never looked into the markings before. I just have a lot of 5 and 10 mags. It is easier for bench rest shooting.

I hear you on that, All I have is "pre-ban" 30 round mags and I wish I had a little 10 rounder to bench the rifle with

Yeah - my experience is cops just don't know the law - in BOTH directions.

Here's the funny thing. And its specific to MA. Everybody thinks anything other than a plain barreled AR is illegal. And they think nothing of telling you about it. (Of course these are the same ignorants who tell you its illegal to put your over/under shotgun in a soft case in the back seat when you drive to the range)

I'm 44 years old. I've been shooting since my parents illegally gave me a .22 for my 18th birthday. (I guess by today's warped standards it would have been considered a straw purchase) Over the years I've bought stuff that has since its purchase become more valuable and interesting. NEVER EVER has anyone said anything to me about any of the firearms I've owned other than "wow, cool" or some variation of that.

Since I've moved to MA, I've been told THREE TIMES (3!!!!!) that something I was shooting (which was perfectly legal) was illegal, by complete strangers. What is it with the MA psychology that moves someone to do that?

I am a very patient person and enjoy helping the ignorant, so in all cases, I explained to the person how all of the firearms in question were 100% legal. I'm hoping I've planted a seed for them to go out and buy similar items in the future.

If memory serves me right, the two guns that got the comments were my pre-ban SBR AR15 and my pre-ban Norinco AK.

My machine gun license just came in and I just spoke to the ATF about the 5320 and it should be done by next week. I can't wait until I unload a 40 round mag at the indoor range at Mass Rifle next week. I may get a T shirt that "Yes its legal" before that event.

Don

p.s. Yes, its legal. (minus the silencer, which is not coming to MA)

Max11.jpg

Last edited:
Here's the funny thing. And its specific to MA. Everybody thinks anything other than a plain barreled AR is illegal. And they think nothing of telling you about it. (Of course these are the same ignorants who tell you its illegal to put your over/under shotgun in a soft case in the back seat when you drive to the range)

I'm 44 years old. I've been shooting since my parents illegally gave me a .22 for my 18th birthday. (I guess by today's warped standards it would have been considered a straw purchase) Over the years I've bought stuff that has since its purchase become more valuable and interesting. NEVER EVER has anyone said anything to me about any of the firearms I've owned other than "wow, cool" or some variation of that.

Since I've moved to MA, I've been told THREE TIMES (3!!!!!) that something I was shooting (which was perfectly legal) was illegal, by complete strangers. What is it with the MA psychology that moves someone to do that?

I am a very patient person and enjoy helping the ignorant, so in all cases, I explained to the person how all of the firearms in question were 100% legal. I'm hoping I've planted a seed for them to go out and buy similar items in the future.

If memory serves me right, the two guns that got the comments were my pre-ban SBR AR15 and my pre-ban Norinco AK.

My machine gun license just came in and I just spoke to the ATF about the 5320 and it should be done by next week. I can't wait until I unload a 40 round mag at the indoor range at Mass Rifle next week. I may get a T shirt that "Yes its legal" before that event.

Don

p.s. Yes, its legal. (minus the silencer, which is not coming to MA)

Max11.jpg

This is funny because I actually see illegal stuff all the time at the range and I keep my mouth shut. None of my business. By the grace of God go I. What do I care? People need to keep to themselves sometimes, plus my legal advice costs money.

For the record, I would argue that last case is what happens when a toolbag doesn't know the law. The cop thing is incidental to the story. [thinking]

Last thing I want to do at my range is start harrassing the other patrons. Though if I saw the above going on, I hope I'd have the presence of mind and confidence in the laws I do know to step in and put a halt to that shitshow.

True - but a toolbag who is just a delivery truck driver who thinks he knows more than he really does is somebody you can tell to go screw himself.

A cop who doesn't know what he's talking about can deliver you into a world of hurt.

The delivery truck driver's job isn't to know the law. That won't stop him from running his mouth.

The cop's job IS to know the law. So he shouldn't run his mouth unless he's correct.

Replacing parts is not manufacturing.

if the .gov decides it IS manufacturing, I guess I'm in the automobile manufacturing business when I replace the radiator in my car or in the home manufacturing business when I have to replace my roof shingles or a window, etc.

The Mass. legal system sucks..................period.

Back
Top Bottom