Are there still police scanners for public?

I remember growing up that when there was an accident everyone knew and your neighbors showed up because a lot of people were listening in on their own scanners. So right now I am sitting watching firetruck in neighbors driveway who are friends but also have some major issues with law- look up telexfree, that's them. so instead of doing the neighborly thing, i'm thinking of the prepping aspect. Do these even make sense to have in suburbia? Anyone have one? thanks

If you have a smart phone, there are many free apps for scanner traffic. MSP has their app and and have their radio channels available for listening, all free.

I remember growing up that when there was an accident everyone knew and your neighbors showed up because a lot of people were listening in on their own scanners. So right now I am sitting watching firetruck in neighbors driveway who are friends but also have some major issues with law- look up telexfree, that's them. so instead of doing the neighborly thing, i'm thinking of the prepping aspect. Do these even make sense to have in suburbia? Anyone have one? thanks
There are lots of options and several threads on here relating to Scanners

Most departments use encrypted trunking systems now so you can't listen directly. These same departments will also re-broadcast their general radio traffic onto older UHF and VHF frequencies, these you can listen to. Command and other "special" frequencies won't be re-broadcast, and there is a switch so they can turn off the re-broadcast quickly and easily.

Also, more and more departments are using computers in the cars for dispatch, Framingham has town-wide WiFi to every cruiser. Even their trunking radio traffic is becoming less and less frequent.

5-0 app on your smartphone.

I showed it to a LEO Lt last year, he had no idea. He had made a comment about scanners going by the wayside.

Growing up, and still to this day, my Mom always had her scanner going. Whenever we left the house (way before cell-phones) my Mom would just assume that every car accident she heard was one of us. Every time some fogey at the nursing home fell down or had chest pains, we would hear about it. She always had to keep it louder than the TV.

I have my local PD frequency on my little BaoFeng handheld, and I will occasionally listen to it. Mostly if there is a bad accident or something going on with people we know.

Back
Top Bottom