Are you preparing for this ?

When I was watching the debates yesterday , it was mentioned that a lot of experts say there is a 30% or higher chance that there will be a terrorist nuclear attack on the U.S. .
Are you preparing for it and if so , what are you doing ?
Please don't tell me you are stocking more ammo for your arsenal . I've heard that enough times .

Well for starters I have gas masks with NBC cartridges as well as NBC suits, canteens that have the little nipple on the top to drink through the gas mask and two BOBs set up in case we have to displace. The only problem I really have is that everyone I know is in the same area as me. So unless I'm ready to go live in the woods somewhere, I really have nowhere to bug out to. If we have to bug in, I have enough stored food and water for a few months, but that will depend upon where the fallout goes. If there is an explosion in NYC, the fallout is probably going to come right at us.

Not really sure where to go except north, but everyone will be heading that way.

3 days BOBs for me and the Mrs. I'm thinking about adding some walkie talkies this week. Putting these together has become a pet project of mine of mine.

Gas masks will do little or nothing for a nuke, unless you were planning on standing outside in the fallout breathing in the particles, then it'd help you some. At least until the fallout particles all around you irradiate you and you die anyway. You won't need the mask if properly sheltered inside.

Best thing to do is learn how to shelter in place (or a well protected place nearby), unless you have a high confidence of being able to bug out before the fallout arrives. The fallout from a nuked NYC may reach eastern MA in as little as 4 hours, so there won't be much time to shelter.

Here's an excellent article that everyone should print and have handy:

http://www.ki4u.com/guide.htm

God, sometimes you guys are depressing. I spent my entire childhood hiding under desks and freaking out at the sound of air raid sirens to the point I was having nightmares.

I'll be damned if I'll go through that again. If it happens it happens.

I'm not saying I don't have basic emergency preparations, nor that anyone shouldn't take whatever measures they want...just that I'm not going that far

God, sometimes you guys are depressing. I spent my entire childhood hiding under desks and freaking out at the sound of air raid sirens to the point I was having nightmares.

I'm not saying I don't have basic emergency preparations, nor that anyone shouldn't take whatever measures they want...just that I'm not going that far

I grew up with the earthquake drills, etc. also.

I grew up with the earthquake drills, etc. also.

Mine was intensified by the fact that my father worked at Oak Ridge and most of our friends and neighbors were captured German scientists. One of them actually built a house with no windows. I remember them sitting around talking about various nuclear scenarios.

It also didn't help that I watch Twilight Zone every week.[wink]

If the nucelar attack is really close to me, I hope im out in the street and vaporized rather than slowly dying of radiation poisoning. My main fear is itll be in boston, and there will be a mass migration of people freaking out coming into NH looking for trouble, shelter, and goods. If i didnt have a life and fiancee, i'd quickly be packing my thru-hike gear and hitting the trails. Ive lived off almost nothing on the trails before, and wouldnt have too much trouble surviving in the sticks with nothing more than a tent, knife, and something to fish or hunt with. A couple bricks of .22 ammo, a pistol, tent and sleeping bag could sustain me for a LONG time.

I do not actively plan for a nuclear attack, though...beyond normal preparedness. Unless the attack was numerous and widespread, I cannot picture even an entire city being wiped out causing a complete decay of society into mobs of zombies everywhere else.

My parents sentenced the 5 of us to Northeast Ohio in 1977. The place was a ripe nuclear target and I remember my first day at St. Pauls Catholic School was watching "Duck and Cover".... We had nuclear drills, much like kids today have fire drills.

I have some basic protection, but even with NBC masks and suits, your luck will run out sooner than the radiation will. Unless you have a ton of filters and an overwhelming ability and desire to stay locked in a hot rubber suit, you're ultimately pooched....

My ultimate plan is to crawl up onto Tyringham Cobble with a nice bottle of 1994 Taylor Fladgate, a pouch of Captain Black, perhaps some snacks and watch the second sunrise...

My parents sentenced the 5 of us to Northeast Ohio in 1977. The place was a ripe nuclear target and I remember my first day at St. Pauls Catholic School was watching "Duck and Cover".... We had nuclear drills, much like kids today have fire drills.

I have some basic protection, but even with NBC masks and suits, your luck will run out sooner than the radiation will. Unless you have a ton of filters and an overwhelming ability and desire to stay locked in a hot rubber suit, you're ultimately pooched....

My ultimate plan is to crawl up onto Tyringham Cobble with a nice bottle of 1994 Taylor Fladgate, a pouch of Captain Black, perhaps some snacks and watch the second sunrise...

+1 you and me both

Don't Forget Decontamination!

Yes

Other than that I'm not sure there is a lot you can do besides fallout shelters,respirators and over garments.

B

http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/health/health_1184.html

The two most important issues for survivors of a nuclear detonation are shelter and decontamination. The importance of sheltering in place, preferably inside a sealed room, for at least the first 48 hours after a nuclear detonation can not be over-emphasized. The most lethal threat to persons in a contaminated area after a blast is exposure to and ingestion of radioactive fallout. Focus planning efforts on preparing shelter and supplies, and on understanding and providing for decontamination.

Nuclear Detonations

A nuclear detonation, with the resultant radiation, blast and thermal injuries, would be a catastrophic event. In addition to the nuclear fallout and associated damage to structures, a nuclear detonation will severely disrupt civil authority and infrastructure, complicating evacuations and re-establishment of normal operations within a country. All nuclear detonations have four factors in common: blast effect, thermal radiation, ionizing radiation, and electro-magnetic pulse.

Blast effects are dynamic winds and static overpressure. Dynamic winds are much like those experienced during a hurricane, although more localized and of higher velocity. In addition to blowing down structures, these winds can pick up debris that can damage other objects and persons due to their high velocity. Static overpressure is the increase in pressure when the blast wave surrounds an object. Static overpressure has a crushing effect on hollow objects and can crush buildings and damage internal organs. A 10-kiloton nuclear surface detonation will create a crater 600 feet in diameter, 170 feet deep, and have serious destructive blast effects for 1.2 miles. \

Thermal radiation is the intense heat and light released by a nuclear burst. It can cause temporary or permanent blindness, burns and fires. Burns can be related to the blast (flash burns) or a result of secondary fires. A 10-kiloton surface nuclear detonation will generate serious skin burns for up to about 1.3 miles. Severe eye injury leading to blindness can occur from looking directly at the blast many miles beyond the range at which all other immediate effects occur.

Ionizing radiation is the radiation produced by a nuclear detonation. Outside of the detonation zone this is the most critical issue for survivors. Initially, there is an intense burst of gamma and neutron radiation that travels outward from ground zero with the thermal radiation. Soil below the fireball can also become radioactive. The material from the bomb that is not consumed in the explosion, as well as debris incorporated into the fireball and made radioactive, will return to earth as radioactive fallout. This fallout will emit gamma, alpha, and beta radiation. Amounts of radiation experienced with a detonation depend on the method of detonation (air, surface or subsurface), what the components of the bomb are, and what type of bomb it is: fission (explosion and radiation) or fission-fusion (an initial nuclear explosive component that triggers a bigger reaction/explosion and radiation release). Environmental conditions, weather patterns, rain, wind, and terrain can greatly influence the effects of the blast and the resultant fallout. Electro-magnetic pulse (EMP) is another effect of an aboveground or air nuclear detonation. This intense magnetic field has the ability to adversely affect or destroy unshielded electronic equipment by burning/fusing the internal circuits. A burst of EMP will disrupt and destroy communications equipment. EMP affects all modern electronic components. A strong EMP will nullify radio, television, cell phone, and telephone communications. Ground burst detonations may generate EMP up to 2 miles from the point of detonation.

I understand the sentiment of hoping to be vaporized in the event of an attack. But for most people, that's not going to happen. You'll survive the initial blast, then you'll be like "Uh oh... I'm still here.. now what?" Death by radiation will be really unpleasant, so its good to have a plan in place.

Fortunately, its not overwhelmingly difficult to survive the radiation from the fallout. In addition to your basic preps, you'll need shelter. Mass is what you need... the more mass, the more you're protected. No masks or NBC suits needed, as they don't stop the actual radiation anyway.

Below-ground basements help because the dirt outside the foundation will be nearly impenetrable. Instead, the radiation you get in the basement will mostly come in from above (from the fallout that lands on your house) as well as what comes in at an angle from the ground. So, find the most protected corner and figure out how to stack concrete blocks, sand, water and anything else heavy around the corner and hide there for a few days.

When you do come out, don't inhale or ingest any of the fallout particles! The radiation from it will kill you from the inside. Anything that was exposed will have fallout on it and must be handled very carefully. Fallout that's at least a couple weeks old actually isn't a big deal to get on your skin, just as long as it doesn't get inside you.

Ever seen the movie, "On the Beach"?

Yes, I still prefer to be vaporized, thank you.

I also have lived in many other prime target areas including in the middle of the ICBM SAC base in Tucson and the Charleston SC Naval Ship yard back when it was a boomer base. It was our first house in Mt. Pleasant and both of my neighbors on either side were officers on boomers. At a party one night, I'll never forget it,
one of them told me if it ever starts within twenty minutes Charleston will be "nothing but mist."

It was strangely comforting.

Also contributing to my paranoia was that my family was vacationing in Miami during the Cuban missile crisis and we were watching Kennedy on TV in the hotel room and I remember my mother freaking out and screaming she wanted to go home to take care of her babies. I was 12 and my younger brothers and sisters were back at home.

I just wanted to go swimming.

It is a wonder I didn't turn into a serial killer after being brought up during that time..in my family anyway

Last edited:
Ever seen the movie, "On the Beach"?

No but I just read some plot summaries now. They are scientifically inaccurate. The idea of being in Australia with a few months to live before the fallout reaches you (and kills everyone) is wrong. (It makes a good movie plot though.) If you're far away from the fallout, which Australia would be if not targeted directly, most of it would fall out of the sky and land on other ground, and then quickly dissipate. Nearly all the radiation from fallout is gone in a couple of weeks, although its still dangerous to breathe or ingest for a year or more.

The aussies would be in relatively good shape as long as they could provide for themselves (no more imports). And assuming "nuclear winter" isn't true (there'd probably be some lowering of the earth's temperature from all the smoke from burning cities).

No but I just read some plot summaries now. They are scientifically inaccurate. The idea of being in Australia with a few months to live before the fallout reaches you (and kills everyone) is wrong. (It makes a good movie plot though.) If you're far away from the fallout, which Australia would be if not targeted directly, most of it would fall out of the sky and land on other ground, and then quickly dissipate. Nearly all the radiation from fallout is gone in a couple of weeks, although its still dangerous to breathe or ingest for a year or more.

The aussies would be in relatively good shape as long as they could provide for themselves (no more imports). And assuming "nuclear winter" isn't true (there'd probably be some lowering of the earth's temperature from all the smoke from burning cities).

I want to be vaporized...in my sleep

US NAvy NBC Trained

After Recieving Extensive training in the US Submarine Service and qualified Nuclear Weapons I know what Ill do.

DUCK & COVER!

booklet_youduck_400.gif

PS:

Just last night a kids pet TURTLE Survived the house being demolished by a Kiler Tonado!

Last edited:

Oh yeah, the "duck and cover" drills... a fascinating exercise in public denial. I grew up in Columbus OH, which had to be a high-priority target. We had a SAC base, DCSC, Westinghouse plant, GM plant, major Oil storage facility, Major train yard, etc. So, that sturdy elementary school desk would have been really useless.

As for now? Considering that ugly Thursday and the inability to get anywhere, confirms my decision to Bug In, come what may. Besides, I have no where else to go.

And as Shooter says..
If it happens it happens
[thinking]

Last edited:
I remember the air raid drills during the Cuban Missile Crisis. I was 11 and everyone was really expecting to see bombs falling. Not that living five miles from midtown Manhattan was going to be a survivable area. We went down to the basement of a severity year old school for cover. And yet you could not go to the third floor of that building because of structural problems...I see a kink in that logic.

The scenario most discussed in the NY area before I left work was a dirty bomb scenario that rendered square miles of real estate uninhabitable. Unless the terrorists get military aircraft or missiles, they cannot delivery a large air burst weapon. The "suitcase" nukes that everyone always seems to see in the press isn't going to wipe out a major city. What it will do is create fear and panic of future incidents.

Terror on Wall Street

wall_street_aftermath.jpg

At approximately one minute after twelve o'clock, the abandoned wagon's timer reached zero in the pleasant afternoon sun. A bomb consisting of one hundred pounds of dynamite packed with five hundred pounds of cast-iron slugs violently vomited red-hot shrapnel and destruction in every direction. A number of passers-by were instantly vaporized by the extreme heat and pressure. The blast sent a nearby automobile careening through the air as countless jagged iron fragments ripped through the crowd. The nearby structures trembled as the shock wave slammed into their outer walls with tremendous force, shattering windows and turning lobbies into lacerating hailstorms of glass. Many of the cloth awnings which overlooked the street burst into flames. Within a half-mile radius thousands of plate-glass windows burst in the city's tall buildings, peppering the streets of Lower Manhattan with razor-sharp glass shards.

An Associated Press reporter named George Weston witnessed the blast from the protection of a doorway, and later described the scene:

"[It was] an unexpected, death-dealing bolt, which in a twinkling turned into a shamble the busiest corner of America's financial center. […] Almost in front of the steps leading up to the Morgan bank was the mutilated body of a man. Other bodies, most of them silent in death, lay nearby. As I gazed horrorstruck at the sight, one of these forms, half-naked and seared with burns, started to rise. It struggled, then toppled and fell lifeless to the gutter."
One of the Stock Exchange's messengers, Charles P. Dougherty, described the scene to a reporter for the Sun:

"I saw the explosion, a column of smoke shoot up into the air and then saw people dropping all around me, some of them with their clothing afire."
The bustling Stock Exchange shook as its large windows burst inwards, however most of the occupants were spared injury due to the massive silk curtains which deflected much of the glass. Running was strictly forbidden on the trading floor, so the president of the Stock Exchange sauntered to the rostrum to sound the gong to halt the day's trading as a yellow-green mushroom-shaped cloud stretched into the air.

Outside, pandemonium quickly set in. Those who heard blast from the surrounding blocks rushed into the area to see what had happened, trampling over the bodies of the dead and injured. The air was saturated with smoke and dust from the explosion and the ensuing fires. The cobblestone street was scattered with the twisted wreckage of cars, buildings, and humans as the echoes of the explosion slowly faded. A fatally wounded messenger boy pleaded for someone to deliver his securities, and a clerk, having lost his eyes and his feet in the blast, tried to blindly crawl towards safety. A woman's severed head, still wearing a hat, was stuck to the facade of the JP Morgan building.

Thirty people had died in the first few moments, and ten were mortally wounded. Some 300 other men, women, and children were injured. Many staggered towards the Trinity Church to escape the choking smoke. Another wave of panic rippled through the crowd as word spread that another bomb was set to go off nearby, but the rumor proved untrue. News of the disaster spread quickly, and within thirty minutes the street was filled with hundreds of New York City policemen and Red Cross nurses who had rushed to the scene by horse, car, subway, and on foot. The rescue workers cleared the road for ambulances and lined up the multitude of corpses along the sidewalk. Meanwhile well-armed security officers guarded the US Assay office, where $900 million in gold bars were being stored. Within the hour troops from the 22nd Infantry arrived, marching down Wall Street with rifles and bayonets at the ready.

The guy that built my house in the 60's actually built a nuclear fallout shelter in the basement. Dam thing is atleast 1 1/2 feet of reinforced concrete. Walls within walls! Mind you it had no door so I asked someone that knew more than I did about it and its because radiation apparently doesn't bend around corners. It's a real Erie space![grin]

Back
Top Bottom