Armed Guards at Registry!

Yeah. I had to go in June of 2020. It was a shitshow. Armed guards. For the RMV.

Maybe do your job and put a smile on your stupid hack face and you won't have to worry about some guy getting pissed off and shooting up your building, Sharon!

And then the whole Covid protocols were crazy. The best was teh stupid clerk behind the privacy glass who would FREAK OUT every time I came close to the window. I mean, c'mon.

My best and most favorite Registry story was when they started instituting the # system. I wander in and the dolt at hte front is kibitzing with person totally ignoring me. There is NO ONE in the place, so I wander up to a window.

"Do you have a number?"

"What?"

"I can't serve you without a number."

I look around. ALL around. Shrug my shoulders and walk back to Kibby. He CONTINUES to yabber. After about 2 min. "Can I help you?" "Yeah, I need one of your numbers." He gets all huffy that he has to work. "Take this and have a seat."

Again I LOOK AROUND at hte NOBODY in the entire Fall River RMV.

I sit down.

No lie. The clerk that I went to the first time looks at her watch, then back at teh deli number display behind her and yells, to me AND ME ALONE. . . "FOURTY-SIX!"

I yell "YO! THAT'S ME" even louder and go up and take care of my stuff.

It was clear the rule was "you can't help people without a #." But the system broke down. But you can't fix the system. You have to sit there and do nothing. Government at work for sure.

I am pretty sure that they do that on purpose to intentionally f*** with people. It's like their little "authority flex" or something, so they constantly remind people that they have the power and you don't. You are not a customer but a slave to the system in order to drive your car lawfully.

Nope, it was because front plate was faded and it wouldn't pass inspection. The Vet plates from the Mustang looked brand new because I never drove the car in winter. I was told it's because since they eliminated toll takers it's all by photo and the cameras were having a hard time reading faded front plates. I wanted the plates from Mustang on new vehicle because they are 5 digit Vet plates and like I say look brand new.

Report the plate lost. Pay 10.00 they will remake you the same plate number and mail the new plate to you. I have done this with ham radio plates.

Or buy 3m reflective red truck and trailer dot tape and go over the faded characters with it using an exacto knife to get the shapes. Have done this too.

Kids will never know the enjoyment of having a 300 pound Registry cop giving you the test. My oldest daughter had to have a woman Statie give her the road test, I was in the back seat and this woman was my size. My daughter rolled through a stop sign and i stupidly said something...the Statie turned around and put her finger in my face and told me to shut up and had my daughter start again.

First attempt I was failed by the male trooper. He was a hard ass. Had me do the entire test. Rights lefts stops, parallel park right and left 3 point turn straight back up 50 feet down empty parallel parking spots having to stop inside the last box. He got out at many of these and checked tire and bumper placements. At the end drive back to the rmv lot and park in a spot. He fills out the back of the permit says sorry you failed. You cut two left turns too tight and the back tire touched the yellow center line. Practice your left turns more and retake the test. Btw you need a new permit. So retake the written test, as only 1 road test per permit.

I was pissed held my tongue till he left. Dad and i walked in the Framingham rmv that moment i paid for and took the written test again, passed and drove home. Where I called the automated line and booked another road test. It was 4 weeks out.

That test was a female trooper she had me drive from the Framingham rmv down to the white hen c store st the by franklin st literally the end of the road. She went in the white hen came out with a coffee and newspaper. Had me drive back to the rmv, where she had me pull to the curb then asked me to do a 3 point turn in front of the rmv parking lot.
For those not familiar this part of the road was extremely wide, like a trailer truck could whip a u turn with ease. So I do the turn she says ok thats enough test over. So im thinking ok 10 min with 7 min in the white hen parking lot lol. I must have done something horrible wrong. She hands me the permit says congratulations you passed. I walked out that day with my license in hand,it was one of the last old school laminated styles with the ink pack in it. Up on the wall there was a poster about the new licenses coming soon that were like a credit card.

I am pretty sure that they do that on purpose to intentionally f*** with people. It's like their little "authority flex" or something, so they constantly remind people that they have the power and you don't. You are not a customer but a slave to the system in order to drive your car lawfully.
Yup, when we walked in 3 rent a cops ask us if we have appointment and we say no and they direct us to line on left. Line on right is for appointments and there's 2 clerk windows at front of line but only 1 clerk on the right. Left line without appointments is not moving so I start bitching and cop give me look like STFU. Finally women enters left window and proceeds to break out her sani wipes and starts wiping down her whole work area as the line continues to grow. After 5 minutes of wiping down everything in sight she starts logging on her computer and rearranging her keyboard, monitor, chair, etc. and finally calls 1st person in no appointment line. I don't know if she was arrogant or clueless that 20 customers in line are watching her take her sweet time while these citizens are probably on their own time and she's wasting it. 🤬

Yup, when we walked in 3 rent a cops ask us if we have appointment and we say no and they direct us to line on left. Line on right is for appointments and there's 2 clerk windows at front of line but only 1 clerk on the right. Left line without appointments is not moving so I start bitching and cop give me look like STFU. Finally women enters left window and proceeds to break out her sani wipes and starts wiping down her whole work area as the line continues to grow. After 5 minutes of wiping down everything in sight she starts logging on her computer and rearranging her keyboard, monitor, chair, etc. and finally calls 1st person in no appointment line. I don't know if she was arrogant or clueless that 20 customers in line are watching her take her sweet time while these citizens are probably on their own time and she's wasting it. 🤬

All of the above + they just don't care.... because they know they are unfireable etc because they've always been privileged, I bet an easy 70% of those people are the relatives of politicians or political donors, etc. The RMV is probably the largest open manifestation of the hack- a- rama commonly seen by the public. Even the toll collectors (before they were eliminated) and MBTA employees don't hold a candle to the RMV.

I don't miss anything about that state and its agencies. I will say this though, When the RMV Police were doing the exams there were "Armed" personnel in the building, as not all the "Examiners" were on the road at the same time. Then the big "Police Merger" The RMV guys became "Troopers" and as they moved on and retired they were replaced by "Real" Troopers many of which had the attitude of "How many can I fail today". That was so pervasive that they were replaced by non uniformed examiners and removed from the facility.

Mine is the same. Twice they have said to me that I can pick them up the next day when I get out of work. No more going across town and waiting for a ticket number to be called. I have AAA for anything else I may have to renew with an office about 15 min away.

Luckily, I haven't been to a registry in years. My insurance company has a "runner" they utilize. It cost me like $20 cash for the runner to go to the registry and handle whatever you need. Well worth it in my book.

Luckily, I haven't been to a registry in years. My insurance company has a "runner" they utilize. It cost me like $20 cash for the runner to go to the registry and handle whatever you need. Well worth it in my book.

Mine is the same. Twice they have said to me that I can pick them up the next day when I get out of work. No more going across town and waiting for a ticket number to be called. I have AAA for anything else I may have to renew with an office about 15 min away.

There really isn't much of a reason to have to go to the RMV in person anymore, except maybe for a new/transfer license or some of the more involved commercial stuff. Any decent insurance agent should either be able to provide a runner or do the plates in house. Of course that doesn't apply to the national direct writers (Geico, Progressive, Liberty, USAA, etc.) who are generally useless when it comes to the RMV stuff. In the past two years I renewed my license (Real ID) and registered a commercial vehicle without stepping foot in an RMV branch.

As I said the only reason I had to deal with the RMV was because Dealer FUed registration and then we get conflicting stories of can dealer fix it or do I have to appear because they were Vet plates. On my return to dealer I talked to service manager and woman who entered wrong plate and they both insisted that whomever they talked to at Registry told them they couldn't fix it.

As I said the only reason I had to deal with the RMV was because Dealer FUed registration and then we get conflicting stories of can dealer fix it or do I have to appear because they were Vet plates. On my return to dealer I talked to service manager and woman who entered wrong plate and they both insisted that whomever they talked to at Registry told them they couldn't fix it.
You expect a "Service Manager" at a stealership to tell the truth!!!? They practice lying to cover up for their "Flat Rate" Technicians who screw up so the customer pays for the screw up instead of the Technician eating the job.

You expect a "Service Manager" at a stealership to tell the truth!!!? They practice lying to cover up for their "Flat Rate" Technicians who screw up so the customer pays for the screw up instead of the Technician eating the job.
Then you need to find a new dealer/mechanic. Service manager is a Trump guy because he complemented me on my Trump magnetic stickers and we talked guns after my return from Registry.

Then you need to find a new dealer/mechanic. Service manager is a Trump guy because he complemented me on my Trump magnetic stickers and we talked guns after my return from Registry.
That is all well and good. As he was not talking about the "Stealership" Screw up. I don't deal with Stealerships. I either do my own work or use an "Independent Repair Shop for things beyond my knowledge and skill level.

That is all well and good. As he was not talking about the "Stealership" Screw up. I don't deal with Stealerships. I either do my own work or use an "Independent Repair Shop for things beyond my knowledge and skill level.
Since I bought the Highlander from the Toyota dealer which I bought my RAV4 from it was their responsibility. I assume you have no warranty on your vehicle so you are free to find your own mechanic. If you have warranty and want to use it you return to dealer for service. Thread was not about Toyota dealer it is about incompetence of the RMV.

Since I bought the Highlander from the Toyota dealer which I bought my RAV4 from it was their responsibility. I assume you have no warranty on your vehicle so you are free to find your own mechanic. If you have warranty and want to use it you return to dealer for service. Thread was not about Toyota dealer it is about incompetence of the RMV.
Okay, Nice Back Peddle, You brought the Stealership into it.

First attempt I was failed by the male trooper. He was a hard ass. Had me do the entire test. Rights lefts stops, parallel park right and left 3 point turn straight back up 50 feet down empty parallel parking spots having to stop inside the last box. He got out at many of these and checked tire and bumper placements. At the end drive back to the rmv lot and park in a spot. He fills out the back of the permit says sorry you failed. You cut two left turns too tight and the back tire touched the yellow center line. Practice your left turns more and retake the test. Btw you need a new permit. So retake the written test, as only 1 road test per permit.

I was pissed held my tongue till he left. Dad and i walked in the Framingham rmv that moment i paid for and took the written test again, passed and drove home. Where I called the automated line and booked another road test. It was 4 weeks out.

That test was a female trooper she had me drive from the Framingham rmv down to the white hen c store st the by franklin st literally the end of the road. She went in the white hen came out with a coffee and newspaper. Had me drive back to the rmv, where she had me pull to the curb then asked me to do a 3 point turn in front of the rmv parking lot.
For those not familiar this part of the road was extremely wide, like a trailer truck could whip a u turn with ease. So I do the turn she says ok thats enough test over. So im thinking ok 10 min with 7 min in the white hen parking lot lol. I must have done something horrible wrong. She hands me the permit says congratulations you passed. I walked out that day with my license in hand,it was one of the last old school laminated styles with the ink pack in it. Up on the wall there was a poster about the new licenses coming soon that were like a credit card.
1981 in Milford, the registry cop gets in the car and asks if Ted was my father...yes. Ok, left out of the lot, first right and then another right back into the lot. I think he had to make it look good and have me leave the lot before he passed me.

2009, I brought Brazilian Au Pair to take her road test. I was sitting in the back seat. Guy tells her to put it in reverse and pull out but made sure to ask her "are you sure you're ready to proceed?" The minute she put it in reverse he failed her - I didn't have my seatbelt on. DOH! I felt so bad, she was so nervous and I'm the reason she failed. Went back a couple of weeks later and she passed.

1978, We had 4 of us in the car when I took my test. Myself, the RMV guy who looked like he just wanted to go to a bar, and 2 in the back seat from the driving school.
I drove first, a few turns, 3 point turn, go into a parking lot and park. Switch places with someone in the back, and they both did the same thing.

Registry cops have been gone for decades, like Five, swept up into the MA State Police, along with Capitol police and the MDC cops
No more Registy Police, they got brought into MSP decades ago at the same time MDC did. From what I recall the Staties were extremely pissed off about it.
I had an uncle who was a lieutenant in the Staties back in the day. They were pissed when those other agencies were folded in. Their opinion was that they were the elite police unit in the state and didn't need to have a bunch of political hacks and other slugs dumped in.

2009, I brought Brazilian Au Pair to take her road test. I was sitting in the back seat. Guy tells her to put it in reverse and pull out but made sure to ask her "are you sure you're ready to proceed?" The minute she put it in reverse he failed her - I didn't have my seatbelt on. DOH! I felt so bad, she was so nervous and I'm the reason she failed. Went back a couple of weeks later and she passed.
I brought my son up when they were still using covid protocols and the girl that went before my son failed because she messed up the hand signals, she didn't even get to turn the car on.

If I knew you were going to get so upset, I wouldn't have said anything.

By the way, the license is not necessary to live in a free society. But that is a topic for another thread with less emotion.
I was up in the 'Live Free Or Die' state last week. We stopped at Weirs Beach to get out and walk a bit. I was reading the rules & regs sign at the swimming area and I thought I was back in Mass.
No masks, no snorkels or fins, no life jackets, no rafts or flotation devices, no pets, no alcohol, and about ten other prohibited things. Plus, they had the water roped off so the deepest you could go was about 4 feet.
I guess you can only live free about chest deep.

I was up in the 'Live Free Or Die' state last week. We stopped at Weirs Beach to get out and walk a bit. I was reading the rules & regs sign at the swimming area and I thought I was back in Mass.
No masks, no snorkels or fins, no life jackets, no rafts or flotation devices, no pets, no alcohol, and about ten other prohibited things. Plus, they had the water roped off so the deepest you could go was about 4 feet.
Screw the rules, cross the rope and drown as a free man.

I've posted this story before, in the late 70's my boss and me and co-worker went to Brockton RMV to take out MC license tests. I was 1st up and as I'm doing figure 8's in the parking lot my boss is shooting the shit with Registry Cop. He's not even watching me and finally return, put bike in neutral and wait for him to signal me to proceed to street so he can follow me. He motions me to kill bike, he signs my license and my bosses and fellow co-worker and walks away to his next appointment. We go in and have pics taken and good to go. Afterwards I ask my boss what happened and he told me as they were talking Cop mentioned he needed replacement windows for his house and my boss told him his brother -in -law installed windows and he would hook him up. That's the way it was back in the day.

First time I heard about this problem you had.

I know what that is. Its a clever way of going:

"If you do not have lakefront property or a boat, you do not belong here." Lol

What a douchecanoe.

Back in 86, I took my test in Att-lee-burrah. Cop was an a-hole. My driving instructor took me. He tried to fail us BEFORE WE LEFT. "this paperwork is not in order." "What is the problem?" "It's not in order." "It's 100% in order. Tell me what is wrong and we'll take care of it." "It's not in order." He was looking to be an ass.

So out we go. He's a DC the whole time. Slams on the instructor brake as we are backing out. Jumps out of the car to yell at some woman in the parking lot. Keeps moving my rearview mirror. I keep moving it back. He keeps moving it. ????

Anyhow, half-way through, he reaches ACROSS ME and points left and says, "Turn right here."

So being SCARED HALF TO DEATH, I put on my LEFT blinker.

FAIL!

I hope he was proud of himself doing that to a 16yo kid. Hoping he had painful non-life-threatening ass-cancer for years.

BIL recently moved to NEK VT, and needed to get VT license. Got all his papers in order, headed to Newport DMV (about 40 miles one way). They told him that his original, stamped, and embossed Birth Certificate was not acceptable- he had to get an "official" one from City Hall where he was born. $25 and about ten days for a new computer printout BC, and it's back to Newport. BC was now OK, but then they told him he didn't have proof of residence- a bill with his name and new address. WTF- he then pointed out that the envelope his new BC was sent in had his new address in VT. The accepted that as proof of residence. That's Massachusetts-level stupid.

My oldest had to get her car reg'd and new DL in Missouri. . . . 3 years ago. She was afraid to go as she'd only experienced mASS.

She was dumbfounded. Not only was it cheap. They actually HELPED HER FILL OUT THE FORMS!

Now she's back. And not happy about it, lic/reg speaking.

"Live free or die" ... then why did you renew your government issued license?
I wish I could have taken a pic.

Route 3 North, this past weekend, driving into NH. Right under the sign that says Welcome to NH Live Free Or Die (the one in the middle of the highway) ... there was a cop car on the NH side. Literally a foot away from the sign. It was perfect for a pic.

Thought of this thread.

Back
Top Bottom