Army Hockey Player

I was also an alter boy at the IC and went to the IC School. Good family great people and I knew him from around town in my youth.. though a bit younger.

Very sad

God bless you Derek and Hines Family

I had heard about him last year. He knew a friend's kid. From what I understand, it was a funeral that did Newburyport (which is mainly a liberal town) proud.

RIP Hinesy.

I had the privilege of going to high school with Derek. He and I both graduated from St. John's Prep in 1999. We took many of the same classes, played hockey together, and were very good friends. We kept in touch off and on throughout college, and knew that he was on his way overseas. A friend of ours emailed with him back and forth, even while he was overseas, in fact even receiving an email from Derek the day before he was killed saying he couldn't wait to get home so we could all go out for beers.

I went to a small vigil that was held at the Prep, and there were many many people there sharing stories of Derek that just brought tears to everyone. The funeral was as if a world leader had died.

Derek was brilliant, funny, athletic, easy to get along with, etc...Just the sterotypical "good kid" who EVERYONE liked. He was and is greatly missed to this day...Even writing this and thinking of him is making my eyes tear up.

RIP Hinesy [halfmast]

Back
Top Bottom