Army Officers

I am thinking of going back into the army rotc program, so that I can get my commission as a officer into the national guard. If I go back I loose 4 weeks for the next 2 summers. And about 6 months when I graduate college, but in return I become a office, I get free tuition for the next 2 years, and a monthly stipend around $300 next year and $450 the year after. My girlfriend hates it. I really don’t want to miss out on a month of rracing(motorcycle) each summer. I got to call them tomorrow, to make arrangements to get back into the program.

Any officers here?

First off, this is your future that you are talking about. You must be young now to worry about missing a few weeks and a GF not liking the idea...but she is just a GF, not a wife, face it there will be many more after her. I am enlisted, but my father-in-law retired after 26 years a full colonel. Your biggest incentive should be the officer pay. A Lt. (junior officer) makes as much as a SSgt (mid-level NCO) and they have higher allowences. The pay difference has much to do about them paying back student loans, but if you don't have one then your bank account will grow quite fast. Also when you do get out/retire your resume will look much more appealing to ANY company espically for an executive position. My F-I-L is a vice president of a hospital and that is because he knows how to manage not just worker bees, but high level managers as well. I'm telling you, the sacrifice is more than worth it.

jeff,

I had 37 years total service and have a few comments to make.

The benefits you outline are good - as long as you know what you are getting into and really know that this is what you want to do with a significant portion of your future. Losing some fun time right now is insignificant compared to what you stand to gain. For the right person, a military career, even in the Guard or the Reserves is an awesome thing. But you have to want it and be strong enough to work for it.

As far as the GF, remember, that is all she is right now. Perhaps you should sit down with her and have a long talk about your future and hers and explain where you want to go and how. If she cannot accept that then you have your answer as to whether or not the two of you have a future together. She cannot dictate your future plans nor should you try to dictate hers. You both have to be able to support the others choices for a marriage to work.

Good luck to you.

Jeff, the above advice is sound and I am just going to echo their thoughts.

Don't base life decisions on the opinion of the person you are sleeping with.

I left the Marine Corps because of a woman. Later, this same reason kept me from a job I wanted in the Guard. I let my (then) wife (now ex) guide my decisions there, and on other things. I was wrong to do that, and won't do that now.

When I re enlisted two years ago (I have alot of broken time) my then girlfriend got pissed, and demanded to know why she wasn't consulted on the decision. I told her that it was none of her business. The relationship ended right about the same time, amazingly enough.

The Guard is indeed a sacrifice, but it is worth it. Good luck with your decision.

There are certainly many benefits of ROTC and the military. But these benefits don't come for free -- you have to make some serious sacrifices as well. Your guard unit could get called up and you could get sent across the country to do disaster relief for months. Or you could get sent across the world to fight in the war.

Once you sign on that line, Uncle Sam owns your behind. Be sure you are ready for it when the bill comes due.

i agree with everyone else who posted above, im lower enlisted in the guard. you get decent pay but your most likly gonna put in ALOT more time inot your unit than say me for example. make sure your guys like ya and it'll make alife a bit easyer for you. most young guys around my age early 20 late 20's walk out of OCS with no common sense or think there WAY better than the troops under them. just saying is all

Jeff.

At my wedding I was talking with a friend who actually does some hiring for his fortune 500 company. They actually prefer ex-military. They say the work harder, more dependable and more responsible overall.

Yes there are exceptions to every rulbe, but it is his 1st hand experience.

I am thinking of going back into the army rotc program, so that I can get my commission as a officer into the national guard. If I go back I loose 4 weeks for the next 2 summers. And about 6 months when I graduate college, but in return I become a office, I get free tuition for the next 2 years, and a monthly stipend around $300 next year and $450 the year after. My girlfriend hates it. I really don’t want to miss out on a month of rracing(motorcycle) each summer. I got to call them tomorrow, to make arrangements to get back into the program.

Any officers here?

You ever see Damn Yankees? That is what you are about to do... [smile]

First off I will say I am ex-mil. I met and married my hubby while we were both in. I have never dictated one way or another on his jobs, be in Military, or civilian. What I do, do is support his decisions and hobbies. I always have. CmbtEngineer is our son, and we support his decisions also.
The hardest thing I had to do was watch him deploy, and also sign for him at 17 to go into the Guard, but how could I tell him No for doing the same thing Mom and Dad did.
As far as not being able to race for those few months, it is just a small amount of time out of your life that you can't do something. The experience you get or make of the military will last you a lifetime.
Now also remember all good officers listen to their NCO's.

Well...so far I think you have been given some very good advice. However, I have heard nothing from you about how you feel about SERVICE to the nation and your state. As an officer you must hold yourself to a higher degree of accountability and have a willingness to sacrifice your own personal needs and comforts for the good of your country, your state and most importantly the soldiers your lead.

What I have heard from you is that it looks like a good deal as far as the benefits of the ROTC program goes, except you might have to sacrifice a month of motorcycle racing...well my friend, there are men and women in Iraq and Afghanistan who are sacrificing a lot more than that every day, and if you are having trouble making up your mind, then don't do it. A person who gets a commission because of a "good deal college program" with no personal commitment doesn't usually stack up as a very good officer.

As far as the GF goes, what are you going to do when she dumps you or vice-versa? If this is your one true love, then I guess you should listen and respect her views, but you know what follow the old adage: "To thine own self be true."

BTW...if you do decide to become an officer, listen to your sergeants and if you take care of people, people will take care of the mission...but you have to be willing to sacrifice, and frankly you don't really sound like you are up to the ethos of Duty, Honor, Country...

Mark L. (a retired Army Warrant Officer)

i will be going to the summer LTC training camp. im a little nervous about it even thought its only 4 weeks. How is fort Knox KY? Anyone been?

Good luck. Haven't been to Ft. Knox,hopefully someone will chime in. I did Ft. Dix for basic in 82 in the fall, then Ft. Lee VA for AIT in the winter. Hopefully won't be too bad.[grin] It's only 4 weeks you'll be done before you even know it.[laugh]

"...except you might have to sacrifice a month of motorcycle racing..."

you race with LRRS? you know glen piro? no? he was shipped out 2 seasons ago and not been racing since.

you are going to sacrafice a lot more that a month of m/c racing if you take a commission...not to mention GF. she better be very "on-board"

-tz

Why didn't I catch this earlier?

I'm currently in the ROTC program at Fitchburg State (our parent is WPI) and I could/can answer any question/s that you may have about the program. What college are you doing the program at?

i will be going to the summer LTC training camp. im a little nervous about it even thought its only 4 weeks. How is fort Knox KY? Anyone been?

ive spent a month there. its not bad wether wise, decent post. its just like any other decent sized army fort. i wouldnt even worry about any traning the army throws at you, as long as your in shape and you have half a brain you should be able to make it through no problem.

Back
Top Bottom