ATF E-FORM 4473?

I don't believe there is any electronic form of the 4473 at the moment. I know that, in accordance with the Paperwork Reduction Act, the ATF is currently reviewing the 4473 to see if an electronic version would be useful. But as of the last I knew, the hardcopy 4473 must be used unless the ATF has granted an individual variance.

But if you know something I don't, I'd love to hear it.

Yeah, I saw those nssf links when you asked the question. They seem to be the only ones who are noticeably pushing the idea of an electronic form. Doesn't make too much difference to anybody but FFLs, and I'm sure a lot of those wouldn't bother with it anyway, so I'm not surprised there isn't a lot of buzz about it.
shrug.gif

I suspect that there's some confusion here. All federal forms have to approved and periodically reviewed and re-approved by OMB. There's an electronic announcement of the current review of the 4473. OMB takes written comments and based on them can either approve, reject or order revisions to the form. Having done several of these paperwork reviews myself, I know I'd have a hard time justifying a lot of the information required on the 4473 since it duplicates required information in the dealers' bound books and other places. Then again, my contracting agencies wouldn't let me get away with whining "but it's for the children."

Ken

Ken, it's a little of both, I believe. The NSSF is trying to use the current review period you are discussing to push for an electronic version of the 4473.

If that's the case, they've either got a mole there or somebody isn't thinking very clearly. Once they start doing it electronically, it'll be a short step to an automatic cross check for multiple purchases (as they're already supposed to do), then a check with other dealers fo multiple purchases, followed shortly by ATF access to all the forms (to simplify dealer inspections), creating a de facto distributed data base of all gun purchases.

Ken

Putting ink to paper, it's archaic! As a business you have much to lose. Who's watching your back when you’re not at the store? An employee? In a heavily regulated industry, I'll take a computer any day.

Back
Top Bottom