• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

ATF E-Forms Submission wait time

5320.20 "Application to Transport Interstate" take about 30 days.

Not sure exactly what you mean. Is your range in a different state than the address on your tax stamp? If so, yes you will need the 5320.20. Date it for a calendar year, and do it again next year

I found it rather strange that I was informed I needed to fill out a form 20 to move a SBR Intrastate. The form clearly states Interstate so I get the across state line(s) issue.

If it takes 60 days for approval then I'm OK for that. Sucks but doesn't screw up plans for an out of state trip.

I found it rather strange that I was informed I needed to fill out a form 20 to move a SBR Intrastate. The form clearly states Interstate so I get the across state line(s) issue.

If it takes 60 days for approval then I'm OK for that. Sucks but doesn't screw up plans for an out of state trip.

Follow his suggestion and submit it from the date of submission through the end of the year for each state you may decide to maybe perhaps enter. There is no cost or penalty for not following through with plans but there is a hefty price to pay for crossing state lines w/o "permission".

Each state requires a new copy of the form 20 for the item(s) in question. Each year.

So the Form 20 is only for crossing state lines?

yes. If you are going to be taking an nfa weapon out of the state in which it is registered( it's home address) then you need to submit and get back an approved form 20 before traveling to different states. Like mentioned above forms can be dated for the length of a year, so doing it once a year if you shoot a lot in NH and are from MA then that's all you've gotta do. But you need an approved form for each other state you want to go to. Cant have an approved form 20 for NH and get found in VT. Pretty easy form, as far as atf forms go…

yes. If you are going to be taking an nfa weapon out of the state in which it is registered( it's home address) then you need to submit and get back an approved form 20 before traveling to different states. Like mentioned above forms can be dated for the length of a year, so doing it once a year if you shoot a lot in NH and are from MA then that's all you've gotta do. But you need an approved form for each other state you want to go to. Cant have an approved form 20 for NH and get found in VT. Pretty easy form, as far as atf forms go…

The form has room for multiple addresses so if you frequent Keene & Peterborough you should list those addresses. Should.

Who told you that you can't move intrastate?

A guy from the club but I didn't have a lot of faith in what he said. I called ATF who was very nice on the phone who confirmed it but I'm not so sure the woman really understood Intra versus Inter state. I repeated the question to her using "within the state" and she repeated yes I needed a 20 to go anywhere.

Made absolutely no sense to me and there is no mention of Intrastate anywhere on the ATF web site.

A guy from the club but I didn't have a lot of faith in what he said. I called ATF who was very nice on the phone who confirmed it but I'm not so sure the woman really understood Intra versus Inter state. I repeated the question to her using "within the state" and she repeated yes I needed a 20 to go anywhere.

Made absolutely no sense to me and there is no mention of Intrastate anywhere on the ATF web site.

Let me clear this up for you: You called WEST VIRGINIA. Use small words. Those fancy city words don't make it down that way, mmkay?

Let me clear this up for you: You called WEST VIRGINIA. Use small words. Those fancy city words don't make it down that way, mmkay?

My bad. I didn't realize they were difficult words to understand. I use them yearly for my CDL self certification. Now that might be hard to understand for some. [smile]

Really? In the same state with the same date parameters?
Ya, you can either fill out your form 20 for one location and once you cross statelines go wherever you want.
or
You could fill out multiple form 20s for one state with different locations, for no reason....i mean who doesnt enjoy filling out forms.

As far as filling out a form .20 for intrastate travel thats nonsense...also without a green card(mg license) theres not much of a point filling out a .20 to come into MA.IM unaware of non resident green cards ever being issued.

Last edited:
So my form 3 status went from "Approved Dec 27 2016" to "Disposed 3/23/17" Form 4 status is still "submitted 6/7/16" What does disposed mean? Does that just mean it's at the store? is that generally a good sign, or essentially meaningless?

Form four approved April 7th, should be in the mailbox in the next couple of days. One gone. More to go. Ten months. When I got in line ATF said 6 months.

Last edited:
Selling everything gun related I own.

I can't, mine fell off a boat into a canal.

79ddebd7bc25523d4b79d9afcc64f7b2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom